Is Modeling "out of reach?"

Options
2»

Replies

• LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    As someone who has worked on photo shoots, the most important thing is confidence and skill. Learn how your body moves and how to pose for a camera (quite difficult, you'll find), and practice practice practice! Looking beautiful in person can be very different from how you're presented through a camera lens. They don't work like eyes do, so regularly set a timer on your camera and practice posing! While there are popular body/facial features that are "in" right now, it's far from necessary to conform to Vogue beauty standards. All the girls I worked with had alternative hair and tattoos and make a living out of their modeling work alone.

And research the CRAP out of people who want to represent you and shoot you. If you have someone available, always bring someone to the photo shoot with you and specify ahead of time that you are bringing someone. If someone tells you that's unacceptable, decline the work. You need to be safe, and there are definitely people out there who want to take advantage of your (assumed) inexperience with this work sector. Agencies can also cause problems if you don't read all the fine print, so be careful with that as well.

Most of all, good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Agree with Lindsay that this is a tough business and there is a quite a lot of sleaze in the periphery. Lots of guys who want to exploit girls who are very young, lonely in the big city, and far away from home. I usually say that girls leave the business either streetwise or damaged, but maybe a little of both. Best advice I got when starting out was to always join an agency owned by a woman, especially in Paris and Milan, if you want to avoid meeting slime-y playboys.
  • tinassofit
    Options
    if you don't attempt it, then it is out of reach. Go for it... with confidence.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    I see that you are 19 now, which is the age I started modelling, so it is not too late. I did start at a late age compared to a lot of my contemporaries. If this is your ambition give it your best shot. Write on my wall or PM me if you want information on how to approach repubable agencies in NY/London/Paris. In my time minimum height was 175 cm with maximum size French 36/38, though I notice girls are getting shorter but skinnier nowadays.

thanks. m the same size your maximum size(us size 8, french 38), i am 5'8 (176-177 cm)

US size 8 is a UK 12 which is a French 40.

I used to live in France!

Give the modelling a try though! You never know if you don't try - you have nothing to lose.

US 8 is a UK 10 which is an AUS 12 according to all online clothing stores and everything i've seen about clothing size conversion...
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Go for it but ensure that you can take criticism. My friend wanted to be a model, she was tall, beautiful and a UK size 8. She got told she needed to lose fat from her hips, she has no fat on her at all, her hips were too big according to them and that is her bone. It can be brutal but search around and best of luck.
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you want to check how your physical measurements compare with working girls, my old agency Marilyn has all the girls comp cards online. Women's department is the established models, and Development is the new girls. http://www.marilyn-ny.com/index.php.

It is a very tough business and being able to bounce back from rejection is a required personality trait. Keep in mind that breaking into the business for a new girl is largely a question of luck. Each season the "look" can change depending on the clothes, which largely determines which of the new girls make it into the business. One season it might be sex bombs, next season it could be delicate Edwardian flowers, etc.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks for all the replies. very helpful
  • acpgee
    Options
    The Dress or hip size thing is not a spurious requirement. Models work with samples--clothes that are months away from being in being in production at a variety of standard sizes. Samples are essentially design prototypes that are usually in a French 36 or 38 for ready-to-wear. For Haute Couture (custom made dresses) the samples are even smaller, as they are cut on in-house showroom models who are usually very skinny indeed.

I remember being in Paris and staying at a model flat (the big apartments that agencies use to house new girls in temporarily) and getting calls on the weekend to get to a certain photography studio if you thought you were small enough to get into a Lanvin Couture sample, The girl who was originally booked for some prestigious magazine shoot couldn't squeeze herself into the dress.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    that's crazy. i also want to do something when i hit my goal weight.

RULE THE WORLD AS SUPREME DICTATOR!!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is amazing and you are beautiful. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for the dream; just be careful out there.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT and feel free to pave your own path if you feel inspired. Work with friends and people within your community to get the exact kind of style you want down perfectly. Work with photographers who are looking for experience. Start your own website or tumblr. Set your own terms and do it your own way! As someone who has modeled a little, the industry can be every bit as ugly as you hear in some regards, but if you create your own image and do it your own way, you won't have to compromise.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The best way to break into modeling if you aren't "perfect model beautiful" is to start in catalog modeling. The agencies are always looking for ALL body types and looks for department store catalogs and its a good way to build a portfolio.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked on photo shoots, the most important thing is confidence and skill. Learn how your body moves and how to pose for a camera (quite difficult, you'll find), and practice practice practice! Looking beautiful in person can be very different from how you're presented through a camera lens. They don't work like eyes do, so regularly set a timer on your camera and practice posing! While there are popular body/facial features that are "in" right now, it's far from necessary to conform to Vogue beauty standards. All the girls I worked with had alternative hair and tattoos and make a living out of their modeling work alone.

And research the CRAP out of people who want to represent you and shoot you. If you have someone available, always bring someone to the photo shoot with you and specify ahead of time that you are bringing someone. If someone tells you that's unacceptable, decline the work. You need to be safe, and there are definitely people out there who want to take advantage of
    your (assumed) inexperience with this work sector. Agencies can also cause problems if you don't read all the fine print, so be careful with that as well. Most of all, good luck!

This is all excellent advice.

[/quote]
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You have this awkward beauty look that is SO popular right now (and I totally mean that in a good way!). If you have the resources and the ambition, I believe that anything is within reach!

Thanks? lol. whats the awkward look?
    lol you dont have the awkward beauty look u look like a model.... very pretty!! ( some people judge when they have no place to judge) lol.. anyways ur BEAUTIFUL

very pretty! i also wanted to try modeling!! :) i think u can do it! because u have that model look even for the runway!!!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As many other people said, if you are really that interested in doing it, then go for it. You should follow your dreams and what's the worst that can happen?? You don't make it but yet gain a tons of experience and knowledge. And it might lead you to other things, you never know!! You're still very young....I wanted to be an alternative model cuz i've got LOTS of ink but i'm 30, it's over and done for me haha!!
    Good Luck!! :)