Question for UK users

Options
Mike
Mike Posts: 823 Member
Hi folks,

We're still working on some changes to improve the site for UK users and I had a quick question: on digital scales in the UK, do the scales display your weight in stones, lbs, or both?

For example, if I weighed 147 lbs and weighed myself on a scale in the UK, would the scale read 10.5 stones, or 147 lbs, or 10 stones, 7 lbs?

Another way to ask the question would be, on your tickers, what would you prefer to be shown? Your weight loss in stones only, lbs only, or both stones and lbs?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Gembo82
    Gembo82 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am from the UK and my scales only shows stones so i personally would like to be able to see my weight loss in stones on the site aswell.
    xx
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike

I think most UK digital scales can display in lbs and stones (and mine does kg as well) Non-digital scales are mainly in stones. I can only speak for myself, but I use pounds now.

Hope this helps. Thanks for a fabulous site, by the way. Can't wait for the offline app :o)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Hmm my UK scales only show kgs!
  • Gembo82
    Gembo82 Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh and on my scales it would be 10st 5lb.
    xx
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Uk scales would read 10 stones, 7 lbs. Option 2 is in KG, or possibly in lbs, like in the US, but I have never seen this, and I have has a few sets in my time!
    Never 10.5 stones, this doesnt mean anything to us Brits as far as I know.

Thanks!
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, My scales do stones, pounds and kilograms. I actually prefer using pounds on the site. :)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My mothers scales (I can't have them in my house...I'd live on them) is a digital set and can display lbs, stones and lbs or Kg! I used to prefer using stones...although since using MFP I much rather using lbs! In stones the scales would read 10st 5lbs (I wish haha)

Thanks for a great site =)
  • philhiro88
    philhiro88 Posts: 5
    Options
    uk scales i have do stones and lbs / lbs / and kgs/ but i prefer lbs
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hey

I'm pretty sure most electronic scales now have lbs, stones or kgs. Since starting MFP, I've converted to lbs as it's the common currency on the site.

Thanks for asking

Kenny
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My scales show either kilos or stones & pounds. But after becoming a big fan of 'Biggest Loser', i can relate to pounds and like seeing the bigger numbers:wink:
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my bathroom scales only read kg so they are the form I like to know how am doing even though I adjusted my ticker to show kbs to keep up with americans x
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    i have Salter scales which is a very common brand over here. They read kilograms, pounds or stones with decimals (so not 12 stone 7.25 pounds, 12.7 1/4) x
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ireland. My scales gives lbs, Stones and lbs and kgs.
    I prefer lbs
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Thankyou for asking. I prefer lbs. :smile:
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    OK so to make sure I have this straight:

- Sounds like most of you would prefer to have the choice of 1) lbs, 2) kgs, or 3) stones and lbs

- Sounds like JUST stones is not an option people are interested in, only stones AND lbs

- For tickers, just lbs or kgs seems to be ok?
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    yes stones and pounds together would be better than just stones, its the way we are used to :flowerforyou:

thanks for your attention to detail mike :flowerforyou:
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm completely used to reading my scales in lbs alone. It's much more accurate, to me. KG are too large a measure and stone is even worse. I convert lbs to stone using simple calculations. Whenever I'm reading a magazine and it has an article about weight, I always always always convert the to lbs rather than stone and lbs to get a more accurate reading. And I'm obsessed with BMI. Having lbs for that calculation is SO much easier.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My scales have different options - Stones and lbs, lbs or kgs, I weigh in with Stones and lbs as that is what I'm used to but have got more used to using the lbs on MFP.

It would be a good option to be able to use stones and lbs on tickers though :)
    -x-x-
  • playto
    playto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight, stones and lb on scales (just like everyone else says on here) - one related thing to bear in mind is that some Brits will be very comfortable talking about their weight in kg, but almost everyone still talks about height in feet and inches. Which meant visiting an online conversion site to work out how tall I am in cm when I first registered.

Currently, setting a profile to metric measurements defaults to kg in weight and cm in height, which makes perfect sense for continental Europeans but not for British types like me.
  • Rudie
    Rudie Posts: 27
    Options
    As already said, newer scales generally offer all 3 options.

My personal preference is to use lbs.