Phentermine

Options
How does everyone feel about taking Phentermine to lose weight? I have taken it before and lost a lot of weight, but I never have tried to keep it off. Will you always gain it back after taking medicine to help or can you get down to the weight you wanna be then learn to stay at that weight?

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    above your post you will see a "search" term, look up phentermine and you will find a lot of posts about it.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    When you stop taking it, you will gain unless you keep your healthy habits. I managed to keep weight off for a while following taking it, but then got sick and gained it all back. I'm using diethylpropion right now, doesn't make me as jittery as the phentermine did but controls my hunger well.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I personally feel like taking weight loss meds because you are not losing weight at a fast enough rate is not a good choice. You are better off losing 1-2lbs per week than trying to accelerate your weight loss, as you are more apt to keep it off. I know the feeling of wanting to drop the weight and get to your goal, Amanda. I have been struggling with my weight for most of my adult life, but it is not about how fast you can do it, it is about how you can change your lifestyle and make changes that are going to stick with you forever, so that once you are at your goal you will know how to maintain your loss, that working out regularly just becomes part of your day, like brusing your teeth. It is tough, I know that! But pills are only a temporary fix, you can't take them forever, and you are either going to have to learn how to eat right and make this lifestyle change, or you will take the pills get to your goal, stop taking the pills, and put the weight back on. I don't know about you, but I know for me, I have lost 16lbs since January by faithfully logging all of my food(see my Saturday this week-horrible, but I allow myself 1 free day per week so I don't sweat it), working out regularly, and knowing in my heart that though what I am doing may not get me to my goal in 2 months, that when I do that I did it on my own and that I set a great example for my family. If you have tried pills before and you lost the weight and gained it back, I am not sure why you would consider doing it again?? You can do this girl, just you, putting your heart into it and working hard, you can succeed.
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i have taking it before i lost around 50 pounds in less than 6 months but once i stop taking it and not paying attention to my eating habits i gained it right back. if you do decide to take it just still follow ur eating habits and dont get too comfortable thinking the weight wont come back
  • sherryn84
    Options
    I have been taking adipex (phentermine) for just under a month and i find that even on my days when i dont take it i have myself in a mind of watching my portions and still counting my calories which was something i was never able to do! i have always been an emotional eater also my family is very big on food and the comfort it brings. control is something i dont have and that is why my DOCTOR perscribed adipex (after alot of other failed attempts at losing weight) i have also seen that on this site whenever someone says anything about a weight loss medication that they are on they seem to get bashed! not all of us can do it without a med! and for those who know little to nothing about the medication always have something to say. however that being said there are alot of people who do find that they gain there weight back but there are an equal amount of people who use the amount of time they are on the medication to train there mind and body to control portions and are able to keep the weight off, BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. you need to decide what you are going to do with your body! you can add me if you want, thanks for reading and good luck on your new start to life.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no.

:angry:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    no.

rather...

you can either hobble with a crutch, or learn to walk without it. One way is permanent, the other is just a temporary fix.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no.

rather...

you can either hobble with a crutch, or learn to walk without it. One way is permanent, the other is just a temporary fix.

you stole my no.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I took it for one month and it felt like my heart was going to explode! I found out it's basically legal meth, which is NOT a good thing! I lost about 15 lbs in one month, but I felt terrible and I will never use it again.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I personally think its a horrible idea. However since the truth tends to get you a strike I will also say I am sure you can find people that will support you in this or any other ideas you may have no matter how destructive other people will tell you they are. Please be careful.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    200px-Fentermina.svg.png
    Phentermine

200px-Methamphetamine.svg.png
    Methamphetamine

Side effects of both include restlessness, irregular heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, aggressiveness, and many more things that are not worth a rapid weight loss. (Followed by withdrawal symptoms and regain.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No thank you.
  • Tiffers1759
    Tiffers1759 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago I took Phentrimine to lose weight. It worked....I lost 65lbs in about 6 months....HOWEVER...here I am using MFP to help me lose weight. B/C I gained it all back but 10 lbs. Granted...I looked and felt great while thin...but I taught me absolutely nothing about weight loss and how to live a healthier lifestyle. If I were you I would NOT use any dietary pill to assist in weight loss....if you truely want to lose the weight you'll do it on your own.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    200px-Fentermina.svg.png
    Phentermine

200px-Methamphetamine.svg.png
    Methamphetamine

Side effects of both include restlessness, irregular heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, aggressiveness, and many more things that are not worth a rapid weight loss. (Followed by withdrawal symptoms and regain.)

This. Phentermine is pharmacologically similar to amphetamine and works by triggering the brain to release hormones that suppress the appetite, and to some extent break down fat cells. If you stop taking it, you will gain back the weight you lost.

My suggestion. Just do it the "hard" way, the results will last longer.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't take it, its bad for your heart and the weight will come back. It's better to do it slowly and change your lifestyle that will last for a long time.:drinker:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    How does everyone feel about taking Phentermine to lose weight? I have taken it before and lost a lot of weight

...what do they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    How does everyone feel about taking Phentermine to lose weight? I have taken it before and lost a lot of weight

...what do they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

insanity-einstein-quote.jpg
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    aa_zps91025da2.pngbrainy_zps409a2cb1.gif
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How does everyone feel about taking Phentermine to lose weight? I have taken it before and lost a lot of weight, but I never have tried to keep it off. Will you always gain it back after taking medicine to help or can you get down to the weight you wanna be then learn to stay at that weight?

You can maintain your weight as long as you learn good eating habits. The medicine will help with that by controlling your appetite at first, but then the medicine loses efficacy after a couple of months (doctors won't prescribe it for longer than two months at a time, both because it doesn't really work after eight weeks and to help prevent withdrawal symptoms).

Just like surgery, it's used as a tool to get your appetite and portions under control. Then, it's up to you to continue working hard and exercising. I prefer it to surgery because it isn't permanent and doesn't involve recovery time (or reconstructing organs). If you find it isn't for you, you can decrease the dosage every day until you stop it (don't stop it cold turkey, or you could have withdrawal symptoms). Most pills are scored so you can take half a pill if an entire dose is too much.

Your doctor should schedule an appointment after 3-4 weeks to monitor your blood pressure. If they find your heart rate and/or blood pressure are too high, they'll take you off of it. It's meant for the morbidly obese, not someone with 30-40 pounds to lose. (I have no idea how much you weigh; I'm just adding that in case someone else searches for the topic and reads this thread.)