Food stuck in throat

Options
2»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    This is the only advice you need:

There are several things that could be causing this. I have eosinophilic esophagitis. Sometimes, food such as steak or pork gets stuck in my esophagus. While it is stuck, I am unable to swallow and even my spit keeps coming back up. A trip to the emergency room is usually required and usually I am sedated, intubated and an upper endoscopy is performed to push the food down.

The person you need to speak to is a gastroenterologist. Call your doctor and get a referral. Your gastroenterologist may elect to do an upper endoscopy to examine your esophagus and check for stricture or other causes of your swallowing problem. Ignore anyone here who tells you that avoiding wheat or gummy bears or pop tarts will heal you. They don't know what they're talking about. Good luck with everything.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    My husband has always maintained the wieners are ground up lips & *kitten* so they kind of make me gag too.

My husband IS a meat cutter/butcher. I KNOW that^^^^^ is what :sick: hotdogs are LOL :laugh:

But seriously, I've had that happen ALOT. Finally went to Dr and everyone here is right, It's GERD. I know take RX prevacid daily. Go to the Dr. and get some help it will only get worse.

For the record i DO NOT eat hot dogs, BLAH
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My Dad used to have that happen all the time. I think he had some kind of a hernia. Several people in his family (brothers and sisters) had the same thing once in a while. Definitely go to the Dr. ASAP.
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
  • nlloomis
    Options
    This happened to myself, quite a bit actually. I went to a gastro Dr and he performed an EGD. Here I had a pretty serious case of acid reflux and didnt even realize it! I am now on medication and have no problems!