recommend your cookbook, please.

Options
This is my first offical post

I am looking for suggestions for a healthy, family friendly cookbook. I have a 2 year old and my husband doesn’t need to lose any weight. If anything he needs to gain it, he’s140 pounds and 5'9" and on his feet all day.
I am more looking for a cook book for dinner ideas. it’s getting exhausting looking for recipes online and cooking 2 different dinners.

thanks
:happy:

Replies

• lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hmm... my favorite places to check for recipes are allrecipes.com and skinnytaste.com. (Or supercook.com for days when I have a handful of ingredients that I don't know what to do with.)

But for family-friendly cookbooks, try checking out the huge Taste of Home cookbook or Better Homes and Gardens Anyone Can Cook. (I know the latter has a dorky name, sorry..) But I like both of these for the binding, the photographs, and most importantly the wide selection of recipes. These two cookbooks are good for classic, family-friendly recipes that can be usually made a little bit healthier with some small modifications.

I will tell you -- my favorite cookbook right now is Comfort Food (Williams and Sonoma). The food is absolutely delectable and your family will love you for it :) Unfortunately, it's nowhere near being a diet-friendly cookbook... so these recipes should be reserved for the occasional Sunday dinner or when you're entertaining.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I found the recipe collections at EatingWell.com to be a lifesaver. They please both me and my skinny/tall husband! He just eats bigger portions of what I eat. Also, skinnytaste.com has great recipes that are very family/kid friendly.

As for cookbooks, Cooking Light has a ton of books, as does the above mentioned Eating Well.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really like the Cooking Light books and they have collections that can suit your specific needs. I also like the American Test Kitchen healthy cookbook. I think both of these could really meet your needs!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestions above - I use Cooking Light and Eating Well a lot. I also like Clean Eating magazine and they have some books out. I really enjoy Make Ahead Meals Made Healthy by Michele Borboa. This book has recipes for everything from main meals to sauces and desserts. The author tells you exactly how to package meals for the freezer and reheat them too. I definitely recommend checking this book out!
  • jdowney2173
    jdowney2173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thank you, everyone!
    I will look into all the recommended books and websites.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I get offers daily for free cookbooks for e-readers (I put them on my iPad) from subscribing to this site:
    http://www.diningdownloads.com/subscribe/
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of surprisingly good and healthy recipes for free on Hungry Girl.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with an older copy of The Joy of Cooking. It's my most go too cook book.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    Even though I'm not vegetarian or vegan, I have several of both types of cookbooks that I cook from all the time. There's no better way to learn how to design a meal around vegetables than to go the the people who make it a way of life, and there's no rule that says you can't throw in a little meat or something like that.

But all bets are off if you get that ridiculous Skinny Bi+ch book!