Heel Pain Question

Options
After four weeks at 5 days a week of working out 35 min - treadmill, 30 min-elliptical, 30 min-(I call it the glider, get on and get feet moving in a gliding motion), and 15-30 on a recumbent cross trainer I am having heel pain. Not sure if it's plantar fascitis or what. Does anyone have any ideas on this and recommendations for treatment. I've been remiss with pre and post stretching and I am wondering if that is causing the pain. It's only been the past two days but I don't want to derail my work out and the accompanying progress.
Thanks for your input.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would look into whether your shoes are causing the problem. I had to buy insoles from The Walking Company which I put into all of my shoes and it corrected the issue and got rid of the pain in my heels. You may be dealing with shoes and insoles that aren't providing support for you.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    When I first started walking long distances when I first joined (several years ago), I got HORRIBLE heel pain. So much that I would sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed to allow them to naturally flex and not point (I'm a stomach sleeper). I walked through it, but after about 2 months of it, I got new shoes and the pain went away within a week.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just went to the podiatrist last Thursday. Xray showed a nice heel spur on my right heel. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot and some stretching exercises to do. Also, roll my foot on a frozen water bottle. I also got insoles for my shoes. Try the stretching and frozen water bottle.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do wear custom orthotics in my shoes and they and my shoes fit well. I'd rather it was caused by something as easy as a different pair of shoes!
  • lestod
    Options
    Well, I have a heel spur. Same thing, heel pain :(...along with planter fascists. I finally could not take it and went to the podiatrist.
    Hard to get over. If anyone has recommendations I'll take them as well. I had a cortisone shot. Was fitted with orthopedic sport inserts. I stretch, wear a night split and ice. I was good for about 4 weeks. I hit cardio again, slowed my way into it as well. Must have done something and it acted up again. So, here I am 1 month into it again. Same treatments, ice, night splint, orthopedic sport inserts, stretching, another cortizone shot. NOW, I tape my foot as well and was given anti-inflammatory meds. UGH! Very frustrating and YES it has side lined me. No Cardio, just doing cardio circuits with weights, TRX, but no running no machines, no pressure on the heel/foot. Best thing is to rest it if continues to act up and go have an x-ray.
  • scjl132
    Options
    I will try the stretching and frozen water bottle. (It's colder than all get out in the north country so a frozen water bottle makes my teeth want to chatter!) Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Wow, two hours of cardio 5 days a week? I have experienced this, as running is my favorite form of cardio. I can't tell you exactly what it is, obviously, but whenever I had heel or foot pain, stretching and flexing the foot, as well as massaging it helped a lot. Stretching is one of the most important things to do before and after cardio, so make sure you pay more attention to that. :) Also, TAKING IT EASY is important when you have a sports injury, regardless of whether you are afraid to derail your work. (Though I understand what it's like to feel that way) If you don't take time to heal, it can very well turn into something worse and you'll be out healing for much longer.

Also, do you wear properly fitting shoes?

EDIT: Nevermind the shoe question, I posted before I saw the other replies.
  • Lormic98
    Options
    It's crucial to keep the calf muscles stretched. Also, at night roll the bottom of your foot over a tennis ball. I've had plantar fasciitis in the past, and it's brutal to get rid of. I'm thankfully pain free now, but I always stretch my calves and achilles tendon. Shoes sometimes aggravate it, too, but it's generally just helpful to keep your feet strong. Good luck!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the problem isn't in the heel but in the calf. When I have unusual heel pain (I dance ballet and pointe 6 days a week in addition to gym workouts), I either go to my acupuncturist or to a massage therapist. It usually works out the problem. I must admit I have more success with the acupuncturist than with massage.
  • Treewud
    Options
    When i started exercising i would have bad heal pain to the point i had trouble walking. I chalked it up to exercising when my body wasnt used to it. I just ignored it and kept up my exercise and after a while it stopped... not saying you should do that i should have got new shoes but money was tight at the time.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have an article saved somewhere on my computer about how to rehabilitate a heel spur on the tread mill. I had tried everything I suffered over a year the ice the ball the rolling the shots the shoes the inserts did it all no relief. When I stumbled across this article and followed it..wallla pain gone..I need to find it..PM me if you want me to send it to you.
  • hrubyk1804
    Options
    I have plantar faciitis too. I've tried the stretching, the split at night, rolling it over a frozen bottle of water, the whole bit. But honestly, the only thing that made mine go away is buying new shoes. As soon as I did that, within 3 or 4 days, the pain was gone...just my experience. Hope you find some relief! It's painful!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yep, I too was diagnosed with plantar fascitis and a bone spur on my heel (same foot). Right now I'm using podiatrist - provided inserts - he said I may have to come back for a cortisone shot if it keeps hurting. It is, but I just started running again this week. Doesn't hurt too much while I'm running, but afterwards, OH BOY! I'm hobbling around like a little old lady. But I don't want the shot, because I've heard some horror stories. I'm trying all the other tricks, stretch, etc. Good luck to you!
  • crazydaisy15
    Options
    I had plantar faciitis, and what relived my symptoms was what many are recommending. I did lots of things, but I think rolling the bottom of my foot on a frozen water bottle did the most good.
    I also ditched my shoes with out proper support ( no more flip flops :sad: ) invested in some better quality shoes, and started to just ride my bike for exercise. I kept this up for a few months and it improved gradually and went away.
    I am still careful, but back to wearing pretty much any kind of shoes I want, but I do wear good athletic shoes and watch any high impact activities. I know to listen to my body better, and not think I can push through pain. There is pain you can push through, but pain in your feet like that is not that type of pain. That is a warning something is wrong.
    Be patient . It takes time to heal.
    Take care!
  • deborahsager
    Options
    I had the same problem. The frozen water bottle worked great. I also wrapped the area until I was able to purchase shoes with the proper support. Yoga and stretching is the best thing. Also stretch your foot while standing on a stair. Ball of foot on the stair and lower the heal. You will feel the stretching, a good kind of pain. I would stay away from cortisone treatments. Cortisone will shorten your life expectancy. I took Ibuprofen to knock out the inflammation and that works great. Also, if you are overweight, losing some excess pounds works wonders too!!
  • scjl132
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful ideas. I will be stretching, icing, and hanging off the stairs. My DIL and I work out together and take Saturday off and attend a Zumba class on Sunday before we begin our workout Monday morning. I am hoping that a couple of days off will also help.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I had severe plantar fasciitis; I had to give up running for a few months. What helped me was:
    1. Lots of stretching, both of the foot and the hamstrings
    2. Strengthening the foot with exercises
    3. Switching out to a more minimalist shoe.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    After four weeks at 5 days a week of working out 35 min - treadmill, 30 min-elliptical, 30 min-(I call it the glider, get on and get feet moving in a gliding motion), and 15-30 on a recumbent cross trainer I am having heel pain. Not sure if it's plantar fascitis or what. Does anyone have any ideas on this and recommendations for treatment. I've been remiss with pre and post stretching and I am wondering if that is causing the pain. It's only been the past two days but I don't want to derail my work out and the accompanying progress.
    Thanks for your input.

What has happened is you did too much too soon & too hard. (Terrible Toos)

As you get older your foot begins to lose it's shock absorbing fat pads & the tendons stretch and loosen. If youre new to running/walking your feet are out of shape.

You are also probably heel striking on the treadmill. Stay off the treadmill & stop activities that involve foot striking (walking and running, etc) You can still cycle and do the elliptical.

Use a vibrator massager to stimulate the blood flow in your feet, ankles, achilles & calfs. If you have plantar fasciitis it can take months (up to a year) to heal.

You cannot push through plantar fasciitis. You can only try to stay off your feet until it goes away. Afterwards change your foot plant to mid foot & step lightly, dont slam your feet down on your heels.

Avoid NSAIDs while doing cardio. If you hurt, stop.
  • crazydaisy15
    Options
    "You are also probably heel striking on the treadmill. Stay off the treadmill & stop activities that involve foot striking (walking and running, etc) You can still cycle and do the elliptical. "

I think this is very important. I see so many people with this who go to the Dr. for a quick fix. Shots, surgery, etc. But they will not stop the activity that causes the problem.
    I does take a long time to heal and I think if you want it to truly heal, you do have to give up the running, or high impact activities, till it is healed.
    You don't have to stop all of those things forever, but for long enough for your body to heal.
    Stretching, ice, good shoes and as little impact as possible.
  • lestod
    Options
    Agreed. With my heel spur, I am doing high intensity circuit truing, TRX circuits, minimual rest. No jumpping or pressure on the feet. It is frustrating not to hit the treadmill, elliptical etc...but I still feel good and burn the calories. I am resting until I heal, only way to stay in the gym for the long run.