Any success stories using the 5:2 diet plan?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has tried the 5:2 and what results they have seen so far.

Replies

• lyonnesse
    Options
    There are a few folks doing it. I started on 7th January and have lost 5lbs since then. The reason I started was because I spent Christmas with my suddenly sylph like brother and sister-in-law. They are not dieting people but they have been doing 5:2 since they saw Michael Mosley's Horizon program.

They look great - best advertisement for me. So I started as soon as I went back to work after the break. For the first couple of weeks it seemed difficult but now I'm finding it easy. I'm hoping it stays that way. I love that I am enjoying a guilt-free glass of wine tonight, I am going to entertain tomorrow night and not worry what I eat, and that's how it's been since I started. It makes sense, when you think about it
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I started last week and lost 3 pounds, which was double what I've been seeing for the past 5 months - I've lost a total of 8 pounds since Jan 1, and would like to get to my goal weight by the end of May. Hopefully I'll see great results week after week until then.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What is this, exactly? Is it IF or something? I'm kind of interested in starting that, but I have a desk job that keeps me bored and hungry all day, and on weekends I like to go out. Sort of a rock-and-a-hard-place type thing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I just googled it.. you fast for two days a week. no thanks. done with fad diets.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just googled it.. you fast for two days a week. no thanks. done with fad diets.

^^ I agree. I can't even go 10 hours without eating let alone two days!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options

^^ I agree. I can't even go 10 hours without eating let alone two days!

10 hours? Haha more like 2. Maybe 3.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used ti fast every Sunday..now only when I have a specific reason to fast and only one day. Any longer thsn one day and I get migraines...so no I couldnt do it!
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The last two questions I was ready to post..... someone posted the exact same question :smile: Anyway, I had not really heard of this until I watched it on the News last night and then I looked up some information online and I thought about trying it. I did find though that it was noted that the 2 days (not in a row) of fasting could actually include up to 500 calories... I am currently trying to stick to 1200 calories a day, so I am thinking of doing a couple of days where I limit my caloric intake to about half of that. I am trying to be healthy this time though.... I have tried lots of fad diets and lost weight in not so healthy ways, so this time I am concentrating on getting the most nutritional value for the least amount of fat and calories. I would be interested to see if anyone is doing this or has done it in the past and the results.
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Read this blog, it explains the diet well and discusses the health benefits also

http://www.squidoo.com/the-5-2-diet-in-action
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Next week im going to be doing 20/4 tried it last week just to see and it worked great for my schedule
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for i think 3 weeks... maybe just 2.. Idk. I do it every day, where i fast for like 16ish hours(it differs depending on my daily schedule) All i pretty much do is skip breakfast... Which after a few days is not hard at all. I think i've lost about 1 pound so far, but it might not even be from IF.

Doing 5:2 seems hard... I would want to try fasting for full days someday, but i'm not sure if i could make it habitual. Maybe you should start with about a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window? Just to get used to it? But it's all up to you!

Either way, i like the IF lifestyle so far... it's very easy to do too! Also... IT IS NOT A FAD DIET, EVERYONE! Its a lifestyle choice... just as eating 6 small meals a day is... fasting just gives your body more time to digest foods and all that good stuffff.

Good luck with your fasting! :)
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It sounds kinda like the JUDD diet... Eat whatever you want every other day (up days) and then on the other days (down days) only eat 500 cals. its doable, I did it for about a month. I dont remember how much I lost, but people knew to avoid my on the down days so I gave it up.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm doing JUDDD for the last month.

It fits me pretty well and the down days are no problem after the first one or two.

I seem to be losing pretty well and have a lot of energy - even on down days.
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wished it worked for me. I'm just one of those people that if I'm hungry and I cant eat, I get really bi*chy and mean.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Yeah, my wife's kind of like that. She gets headaches and grumpy when she doesn't eat with some regularity.

I'm totally not - on down days I get a couple hunger pangs that go away after like 10 mins and I'm fine.

On my own, I tend to eat once a day. I split it up now only to accommodate some medicine that requires food.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh my God! Fasting for two whole days! I remember one time I had a long work day and went 5 hours without eating and felt dizzy, hot and cold chills and I don't even have diabetes. I don't think I could survive two days plus I'd probably get heartburn. =\
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    It's one day, twice a week on 5:2
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Oh my God! Fasting for two whole days! I remember one time I had a long work day and went 5 hours without eating and felt dizzy, hot and cold chills and I don't even have diabetes. I don't think I could survive two days plus I'd probably get heartburn. =\

They're not consecutive days and on the fast days you do eat something (500cals for women, 600cals for men)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's a few threads on this already if you do a search, and there's a group under "groups" as well with lots of information.

I've been doing it for over 3 weeks, so here's my story.

Yes, it's a form of intermittent fasting, but "fasting" is not a good name because you are allowed to eat something ( about a quarter of your maintenance cals, so around 500 for women, 600 for men)

It has similarities to JUDD, but it's only 2 Down days per week, ideally non-consecutive.

You can eat what you like on the other 5 days, though best to keep it under 2000 for women.

Some people have just one meal that day, I like to spread my cals throughout the day, which takes a bit of planning, but is feasible.

I've lost a few pounds already, and in addition I feel really upbeat and positive.

The science is that our bodies weren't meant to be fed all the time. The analogy is of driving a car full speed constantly. Having a Down day is like checking your car into the garage for oil changes, checking the tyre pressure etc. It lets your body repair its existing cells rather than make new ones.

It's not for everyone, men seem to find it works for them more than women, Don't do it if your diabetic, pregnant, still growing, or have any tendency to eating disorder. Or if you find it makes you grumpy or ill.
  • nicolacollard
    nicolacollard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I started intermitant fasting last week and had a great weight loss of 6lb. I have another stone to go so not bad seen as I don't have masses to lose. I am fasting Monday, Wednesday and Friday and weigh day is Saturday morning so I can weigh and then enjoying weekend feast.

I would love some fellow intermitant tasters to add me as a friend as support is a massive plus.

I save my calories up until the evening as I find that works best for me.

Nicky
    nicolacollard
    Xx