too much protein?

Options
is it possible to eat too much? i only weigh 107 and i hit 100 grams of protein quite frequently. my goal is to tone up and get rid of stubborn fat areas such as saddlebags and love handles. should i scale back and eat more carbs or fats instead?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    No...extra protein is fine. MFP levels are actually on the low side.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I'm almost always over.
  • markaconklin
    markaconklin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is just extra waste in the end, no harm no foul. Gram per pound should really help the tone process and supply some sexy lean muscle:smokin:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    yup. What are you eating? the broad side of a calf?
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... calf...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your current intake. I bet it works quite well for you in fact.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is just extra waste in the end, no harm no foul. Gram per pound should really help the tone process and supply some sexy lean muscle:smokin:
    Thing is, most of the people asking this question are using MFP's default macros, which has protein intake set ridiculously low. Routinely exceeding MFP's default levels is a good thing in the vast majority of cases. We're not talking about people taking in 300-400g/day here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    YessirDthisgifwasgolden_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4_zps4c7ddef1.jpg
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    lol i just eat a lot of chicken, eggs, whey protein, greek yogurt. i wont worry about over doing it. thanks!
  • JayKar70
    JayKar70 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That' is really good to know, because that's where I always go over. I think they have mine set for like 46 and I've been over the past two days. Been beating myself up for it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    That' is really good to know, because that's where I always go over. I think they have mine set for like 46 and I've been over the past two days. Been beating myself up for it.
    If you'd like to customize your macros, read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It has sound recommendations and also explains how to change the settings in MFP.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I believe it's possible to go over the top with protein. It depends on your age and amount of activity but protein can be hard on the liver and it's important not to take more than you need. Important to remember that older and less active people need less because their liver finds it hard to cope. The jury is out on how much we actually need:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518184-how-much-protein-carbs-per-day-if-over-50/
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my protein, not by a heap, but some always. I am okay with it cause I don't reach my carbs and I'm a fan of that mix (higher protein and lower carbs).

And I always have a protein for breakfast .. usually a crumpet with vegemite and fried egg... so the yolk is runny and oozes into the vegemite/crumpet :) my family think it's disgusting... but I like the salt in the vegemite... and I'm an Aussie - it's mandatory!

The higher protein keeps me fuller too - if I eat cereal for breakfast or high carbs lunch, I'm hungry again really quickly - but much more satisfied if I up the protein - which i love anyway - big carnivore here - so it's a WIN / WIN.