push ups

Options
in bootcamp we do lots of push ups and sometimes i can only get low for a few before i start doing them like half or quarter way. will i get any benefit if i cant go the full way down? i even drop to my knees and still have trouble going all the way to 90 degrees

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You'll benefit without going all the way down. I couldn't even hold myself in the pushup position about 18 months ago..i think I can rip off 100 pushups with decent form now.
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    Nice! You're awesome
  • rasp35
    rasp35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pushups take time and technique to get better at. You'll start noticing that the reps become easier and you'll get lower.......... Just keep at it........ :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're better off doing good form modified push ups than quarter-depth full pushups. It's important to go through the full range of motion on pretty much all exercises (though I am sure I will think of an exception as soon as I hit 'post reply').
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else, use good form, and continually push yourself to improve.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    When I do pushups... I go all the way til my chest touches the ground... is this good form, or cheating? Am I supposed to stop and change directions before I actually touch?
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can space your legs a little further apart and it helps make it a tad easier.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I do pushups... I go all the way til my chest touches the ground... is this good form, or cheating? Am I supposed to stop and change directions before I actually touch?
    I suppose you can touch as long as you aren't taking any weight off your muscles. Speaking from someone with a military background where we were graded only on perfect form push ups, we could not touch our chest to the ground, nor rest in the down position. There's no rules for push ups per say, but if you are touching your chest I'd call it a push up variation not a standard push up.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I suppose you can touch as long as you aren't taking any weight off your muscles. Speaking from someone with a military background where we were graded only on perfect form push ups, we could not touch our chest to the ground, nor rest in the down position. There's no rules for push ups per say, but if you are touching your chest I'd call it a push up variation not a standard push up.

*damn* it's the only way I seem to be able to do more than 20
  • roxbox2013
    roxbox2013 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try alternating having your hands pointing inwards and your hands facing straight outward. This always helps me when my muscles start to give but I don't feel satisfied yet. If you do 10-20 one way, then alternate, you can probably get a lot more in.

Of course, if you're being graded on this, you'll probably want to be consistent. :)
  • kms1320
    Options

We could "rest" in the up position, kind of like a downward dog position and that was ok. :)
  • MireyGal76
    Options

We could "rest" in the up position, kind of like a downward dog position and that was ok. :)

thank you for the info! Greatly appreciated!
  • kms1320
    Options

thank you for the info! Greatly appreciated!
    lol you don't look like you need any help at all.. you should be giving ME advice!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    When I do pushups, I go low till my arms is on level with my shoulder. Dunno if its the right way or the wrong way, its just my way.

You get used to pushups super fast but (for me at least) you get unused to them fast too :(