Short leg Syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    I would get a referral to an orthopedist because as you said, the shorter leg has thrown off your back and knee. It's an entire system and an orthopod will see how the leg difference is impacting your whole body then work from there. Fascinating discussion. :flowerforyou:
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosied yesterday with SLS - my right leg is shorter than my left. I have been reading up on it and all the previous posters are right - it could be several different things. It depends if it's your actual leg length or your pelvis/hips out of alignment. My chiropractor diagnosed me after checking my legs then doing my adjustment and then checking again. He started me out with a 1/4 inch lift for my shoe. It's only been one day and my pelvis was very irritated when I went in to see him. I will give it a week as he suggested and see how it goes.

Just a little history - I've been going to the chiropractor and massage therapist for about 2 1/2 years for a back injury I sustained when I fell off my horse. The injury took about 2 years to heal and in July 2012 I decided to start jogging. I did the Couch to 5K program and noticed that my right hip was sore so I started going to the chiro and massage therapist more often to help heal it. Well, 7 months later it seemed to be getting worse. When I went in yesterday I finally said to my chiro that something else has to be happening. That's when he decided to start looking for another reason for the pain.

That's my experience. I will see how it goes then work with my chiro, GP and massage therapist to get past this. Although I'm not excited about the diagnosis, I'm happy to have a solution.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I address these types of issues with clients using a foam roller and a lot of heavy, unilateral movements (bulgarian split squats, back lunges, one leg deadlifts, etc...). If the problem is mild-moderate this usually will do the trick. If it continues or gets worse you should obviously go see a doctor about it, just keep in mind that if you go see a chiropractor they will swear up and down that you need adjustments, if you see a podiatrist they will swear up and down that you need orthotics and if you see an orthopod they will swear up and down that you need surgery but only one of them is right.