Sub-40 minutes 10k

Options
I just completed a 10k race in a personal best time of 43:47. My ultimate goal is to run in under 40 minutes. I can feel I'm definitely getting there. Slowly but surely I'm getting stronger and faster and I know one day I'll eventually break that 40 minutes barrier. I went through a similar struggle in my quest to break 20 minutes for a 5K. When it finally happened last year, I felt a huge sense of relief and accomplishment. I certainly hope I'll feel the same way when I break 40 minutes in the 10k.

Anyone has the same goal or has already done it? What training routine do you follow to get there and if you're not already there, what program are you following to ultimate reach that goal. And how does it feel to know you're there or almost there?

Replies

• jamesh87uk
    Options
    Do you include hill training in your regime? That's garanteed to increase your fitness and at 43 mins could take you below the 40 minute mark. Be prepared to hurt after one of those training days though, my legs didn't want to function the day after one of them.
  • dfquigley
    Options
    I've got goals for a 40 minute 10k, 18 minute 5k and a 10 minute 3k.

I'm still slower than you, but progressing quickly with hill training, treadmill intervals, road intervals, tempo runs, but lots of easy stuff too :p

Doing a lot of STAIRS leaves me in agony for a bit, but has provided gains as well :p
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That's great. I broke the hour for 10k in my first race of 2013 on new years day. I'm literally sat in my car waiting for my next race to start. I'm going for under 59 minutes this time.
  • dfquigley
    Options
    That's great. I've just broken the hour for 10k. I'm literally sat in my car waiting for my next race to start. I'm going for under 59 minutes this time.

Breaking an hour was a HUGE milestone, I pretty well was BROKEN DOWN at the end too!!

It felt so good to hit that mark though, and it left me wondering HOW these inhuman people can get SO MUCH FASTER :p

Congrats!!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    I'm at the very beginning of my weight loss/fitness journey, but my goal is to do a 5k in under 20 minutes by the time I graduate college. So right now I'm just getting used working out. Eventually I'm gonna include more walking, then jogging, then running in my cardio, and after that kinda tailor my other workouts around the running. So even though I'm waaay less fit than you, we're working towards similar goals, so good luck :)
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty big goal. The best I was ever able to do was 42:xx and I ran over 2,000 miles the year I did it. If you're newer to running and are running a 43:33 looks like you may have some talent and could really nail some good times with a lot of work.

For something like this I'd strongly going to a runner specific website like runner's world or runningahead. Grab Daniel's Running Formula, get ready to run a lot. Drop me a line and let me know how it's going. I'm getting back into running but it's part of my triathlon training. Running's my true love though.