confused about this

Options
I have recently started weighing my food for a more accurate account of calories but have run into a strange thing with some of the serving sizes. I have hummus that says 2tbls (28g/1oz). I use a measuring spoon level it off and everything. it weighs twice as muchs as the package says. 1tbls spoon weighed on my scale says an ounce. I thought my scale was off so i weighed some weight plates and it was dead on. kinda mad since the hummus wasnt the only thing that has been off. should I stick with weight only?

Replies

• momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Did you minus what the spoon might weigh? On my scale I have to put my measuring device on it first and then zero it out then I put what ever I am weighing into the container. That way I am only measuring the food.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You're mixing volume and weight measurements. There are two tablespoons in a liquid ounce, not an ounce by weight. It's confusing since we use ounces for both, but figure out which they mean and you should be able to get accurate counts using your scale to measure weight and measuring spoons and cups for volume.
  • HollyBmomof3
    HollyBmomof3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh the spoon. I put in on the plate that is on the scale zeroed out. my scale does grams too and the discrepency is the same.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    In general, weight units on labels are the most reliable.

1. It eliminates confusion between forms of ounce.
    2. Weight units on the label are often precise values from lab data. Food scientists in manufacturer laboratories use weight for accuracy in solid foods. In many cases the unit they use is grams.
    3. Volume units on the label are often approximate conversions from the precise weight value.

Given all that, I'm surprised at the extent of the mismatch between the weight and volume units quoted on the label. I'd be inclined to call the manufacturer.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sounds very confusing!! When tracking my food I weigh all of it in grams and look up the nutrient info in grams. Food packaging has the calorie and macro values per 100g.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I measure by weight. Don't want to make a mistake while measuring out peanut butter by the tablespoon and realize you just ate two times what you thought you did. Heh.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You're mixing volume and weight measurements. There are two tablespoons in a liquid ounce, not an ounce by weight. It's confusing since we use ounces for both, but figure out which they mean and you should be able to get accurate counts using your scale to measure weight and measuring spoons and cups for volume.

You are right about the 2 T in a liquid ounce thing and right that you should only use the scale to measure weight, but measuring by weight is far superior to using measuring spoons and cups. Almost all food items list serving sizes in varying ways but ALSO list a weight with that. As OP said, her package said 2 T (28g/1 oz). My hummus has the same measurement. As OP pointed out, she was measuring out 2 level T and it weighed way more than 28 g. That means that she was consuming more calories than calculated because the weight of the food is where the calories really come from. I noticed the same thing before I started measuring my hummus because one tub would only give me 5 or 6 servings even though I was measuring them using my trusty 2 T (1/8 C) scoop levelled off. The tablespoon and cup measurements given are for easy home use and are given to estimate what 1 oz or 4 oz etc would come out to by volume, but they are only estimates especially with products that can "settle" or be packed.

For all things it is by far the most accurate to weigh ALL foods if you have a digital scale available.