Ouch!!! My knee...

Options
I finished 30 ds level 1 yesterday and I'm so happy but my left knee is in agony. I can handle walk on it :/ it's painfull on the knee cap and all behind the knee going up into my thigh and down my calf
I've had three hot bAths to soak it but it's not getting better, is there anything I can do to speed up recovery?x

Replies

• Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have torn cartilage and you MUST rest it.

Go take a look at the Knee Guru http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/ where you will find comprehensive information on what you might have done to it and what to do about it. See your doctor and maybe get an x-ray but he or she will likely tell you much the same as is on that website.

Above all do NOT ignore it!

Why?

I did when I was your age and now, nearly 40 years on, I am damned well paying for it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do ANY exercise but I am saying that you should go very easy on it for several days to give it a chance to get better. Do something else that is none weight-bearing, such as swimming but give it a chance.
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    Thankyou
    I'll go get it checked out on Monday.
    By missing a week of 30ds will it affect my results?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Thankyou
    I'll go get it checked out on Monday.
    By missing a week of 30ds will it affect my results?

Not nearly as much as if you do further damage that requires more healing or worse, surgery and recovery time.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I experienced pain in my left knee throughout Level 1 of the Shred too. I wasn't convinced it was the Shred at first since I was also doing other exercises on the side. And it did get better as I progressed through the level.

That being said, I was never in agony. It was more of a nagging pain in and around my knee cap, and mostly when I sat down for longer than 10 minutes. It didn't bother me at all during the actual work-out.

Level 2 is much better on the knees...my nagging pain went away altogether. I moved onto Level 3 yesterday, and knee is still okay.

I'm not saying to ignore it, as an agonizing pain could be a sign of something more serious. But know that once your able to move on, the next 2 levels are a little easier on the knees...

Wishing you a speedy recovery and courage to stick with the Shred!!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have to watch it on my knees and hips and limit things like running on concrete, etc.. I do eliptical, and I make sure I have rest days inbetween weights on the legs (like squats or lunges - though I find that they don't pound on the legs the way running or some of the jumping-style movements (mountain climbers etc...) do. I find Jumping Jacks are still fine and give you some good cardio too, but this is something you just have to feel out.

Agree with other poster do not ignore it... You can still work with the situation by balancing out your exercise. Might be good to see a doctor though if after resting for a couple days you still don't feel some relief. Breath-focused Stretching a la Hatha Yoga is also good.
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Be wise with it! I was denile with my knee I kept taking meds, icing, then had MRI it revealed torn meniscus. Then surgery dec 17 now no pain but still swelling some. So glad had the surgery. Still not 100% but doing 90% better than i was.