Forgive me for sounding stupid, but

Options
I'm currently doing Weightwatchers, but my weight has stayed the same for the past 6 months so its time to try something different.
MFP has recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, so do I aim to eat LESS than this?! I'm confused!
Also, please friend request, I need all the help I can get!
I started at 144 lbs, I'm currently 125, I'm 5 ft tall and would like to lose at least another 10lbs x

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Eat what MFP suggests. It is almost impossible to get proper nutrition eating below 1200.
  • this_time_nextyear
    Options
    I dont think MFP ever recommends you eat less than 1200 calories so i imagine that is what they are aiming for you eating :)
  • markaconklin
    markaconklin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When your caloric intake isn't enough for the physical expenditure you put out, it causes the body to become catabolic, which means theres not enough nutrition so your body consumes muscle to feed itself. NOT GOOD!!! So make sure to eat enough and when your activity level increase so generally should your caloric intake. Msg me if you want to find some study points:smile:
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Never less than 1200, the healthier/less harsh route is to go with your TDEE - 20%, gives you a roughly 500 calorie deficit per day (1lb a week weight loss average)
  • melcookson
    melcookson Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I've just left Weightwatchers so I'm used to eating "unlimited" fruit and veg, so will have to start counting cals in those which will take a bit of getting used to again.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For only 10lbs left to lose you should aim to only loose about 0.5 pounds a week. Set this as your goal. And on top of that eat ALL your exercise calories back.
  • CodyBearsMom
    CodyBearsMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your body will eventually lose or keep those extra pounds. I agree with the app - never fall below 1200 calories as then you are asking for more trouble. What people do not realize is by going lower, the heart and kidneys take a blow. Anorexics die from heart attacks - their body in starvation mode starts to attack the heart which is a muscle. Maybe ask yourself why you feel that you need to lose ten more pounds? Is it because it was what you weighed before having kids or becoming older? I learned a long time ago that people who were heavy most of their life have "forever" fat cells - they never leave our bodies, but they shrink and hide until we give in to the urges or become less motivated in the realm of exercise. The only way to remove them permanently is surgery, often quite expensive and emotionally difficult. I'd love to add you as a friend so please do look for my request. If you're not interested, good luck with your journey in life. :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For only 10lbs left to lose you should aim to only loose about 0.5 pounds a week. Set this as your goal. And on top of that eat ALL your exercise calories back.

definitely ^^^^THIS^^^^ any steeper deficit than this will stall your weight loss. Also, if you don't do it now, incorporate strength training into your routine as it will help to retain your muscles and improve the end result of how your body actually looks at target weight.
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    I agree completely. With so little to lose (although it does't feel like a little I'm sure!) and with your body already at a plateau, I would definitely suggest setting MFP to a 1lb a week loss as a maximum. I would actually go for half a pound. I bet you'll be suprised with the loss you actually acheive. I know it's always a case of "different strokes", but for me, I lost the first few lbs on 1200 cals, then plateaued for months. It was de-motivating (and I was H.U.N.G.R.Y!) as soon as I moved to maintenance, and started eating back my exercise calories I started losing again. The feeling of eating a fair amount and not being hungry, but watching the scales move in the right direction at the same time is a pretty good feeling :)

I would also eat back all exercise calories as said the wise man above. Keep moving as much as possible too, stay on your feet and it'll shift in no time Good luck xx
  • melcookson
    melcookson Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for all the help folks, I need to put some time aside to do some reading around the site and some meal planning, I've gotten into a ready meal rut and should really get back to basics. Happy to meet you all, will appreciate advice x
  • Freshstart07
    Freshstart07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No the problem is that if cut to many calories then you will lose muscle you may achieve your goal of the 10 lbs. but you won' t look and feel the way you want to. You are definitely on a plateau as am I but remember diet is only 80% of the formula. If your exercise plan is stagnant change it. If you only walk run a little you don't have to become a marathon person but just getting your body of of its current comfort zone would be a good thing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

This and everyone who's agreed with it.
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I also did WW with some success, but then also stopped losing weight & found myself here. The calorie counting is definitely a change, but after a few weeks you're probably going to find it easier (the food database on here is far more comprehensive than WW's).

I would follow the MFP calorie guidelines & eat back your calories earned from exercise (just as you eat back activity points in WW) :smile: Congrats on your weightloss so far!!
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a myfitnesspal friend. :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    no no no no no no no no no no no!!!

First you don't need weight watchers. I see your goal is 104 pounds. 104 is not a good weight.

reset your mpf goal to only loose .5 or 1lbs a week. If you set it to 2 lbs per week, you pretty much get 1200.
    If your mfp calorie number is green, EAT!

Lift heavy. <
    THIS
  • stitchtastic
    Options
    Hi.I just started on MFP last week,and i've lost 3lb,so it does work!
    I always eat under the calorie allowance,and i think many more do the same,but if you excercise regulary(as i'm trying to do more now),you can eat more,as it gives you more calories to "eat into".
    You sound about the same as me.I'm 5ft 2,and weigh 140lb now after losing the 3 last week.Hope you like it here.I love it,and will send you a friend request now.
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing WW for awhile, I never seemed to eat all the points that they said I needed, I have a lot of weight to lose and so my point level was always pretty high. I was sort of like you, looking for something new. I have continued my WW membership, but have been tracking calories and WW points every day for the past month. I have only gone over calories I believe twice in a month and they were christmas parties, but I don't think I have eaten all my points other than maybe three times in the month. Add to that we started exercising at least three times this month as well.

All said I have seen the scale move consistently for the past month! I was never anywhere near my points....

Eat the calories it says to eat, eat the majority of your exercise calories back. and GOOD LUCK!! It Works!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Weightwatchers, but my weight has stayed the same for the past 6 months so its time to try something different.
    MFP has recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, so do I aim to eat LESS than this?! I'm confused!
    Also, please friend request, I need all the help I can get!
    I started at 144 lbs, I'm currently 125, I'm 5 ft tall and would like to lose at least another 10lbs x

No...it is a goal...it is something to be achieved. Also, if you exercise, MFP intends for you to eat back your exercise calories as their is a substantial caloric deficit from your maintenance with 1,200 calories. You are to, at minimum, net to the 1,200 calories.