How much Can I lose?

Options
I was just wondering, someone told me that the heavier one is, the faster the weight comes off... not sure if this is true or not.

I'm 330 pounds, am currently on a 1800 calorie a day plan and want to lose 50 pounds by september 1st.... is this doable?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it. :happy: And yes, the more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off. If this is any indicator: I started at 180 (am just under 5'4") and lost 20 lbs in 3 1/2 months.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    At 1800 calories per day and 330 pounds, your deficit is probably about 1000 cal/day. That should lead to a weight loss of 2 lb/week. Assuming 16 weeks until September, that's 32 lbs. If you increase the deficit, either with less food or more exercise, you risk the dread "starvation mode". So the 50 lb target sounds a bit agressive to me.
    You can lose weight fast with the Atkins diet - I did. Read Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution.
    Good luck.
  • lindsaylee
    lindsaylee Posts: 20
    Options
    well i want to lose healthfully, but I would really like to be 280 is by next semester. I want to have lasting weightloss, so maybe it's a bit lofty :)
  • sciurussck
    sciurussck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that it is more that in the earlier days of any kind of lifestyle change there is more motivation. It's always easier to make changes in the short term. It just gets harder as you go to not lapse into the behaviors that got you in trouble in the first place. So yeah at first I'd expect you to drop weight fairly quickly. This site is useful to help keep you on track as long as you stick with documenting what you're doing. Fifty pounds is a lot though. It could be done but to lose that much that fast isn't the safest option. If you stick with it you could probably safely drop 20-30 pounds by the end of the summer and then another 10-15 by the end of the year. Just stick with keeping the log and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck!
  • WifenMom
    WifenMom Posts: 40
    Options
    The program I'm on (Food Lovers for Life) says that on average ..
    anyone over 200lbs ..can expect to lose 3lbs per week.
    Hope that helps?!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't lose 40-50 lbs by September. I started at 248 and got to 50 lost in about 6 months. I probably would've gotten there in 5 had I realized I really SHOULD eat back my exercise cals. Once I realized that, I started dropping 3 lbs a week.

10 lbs a month is very reasonable to try and achieve :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I started March 8th i had 146 pounds to lose so far I have lost 27 pounds So now I have 119 pounds to go. I'm just doing the calories Started At 2100 calories went down 1900, 1800, 1750 now at 1700 I'm gonna stay there for a while. Good Luck
  • LizCornelius
    Options
    50 pounds is totally do able I started at 180 april 1st and am down to 147 thats around 30 pounds in a month and a half.