c25k problems :\

Options
I'm 4 weeks into C25K, and I've had to do week 4, day 1 twice now. I can only make it (barely) through about halfway before I can't go on anymore. I am determined to keep going until I make it all the way through, but it's so discouraging when I was doing so well for the past three weeks, only to pretty much fall flat on my face! I've been getting shin splints in my left leg for these past two runs, too. It's frustrating and I just want to get through it and make it through the program!

And I just

tumblr_inline_mh5ro09YBi1re05f7.gif

Replies

• SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run too fast? Maybe slow it down abit (right now speed is not important it's just about doing the time) and see if that helps, otherwise don't put yourself down too much - you've made it this far and you will be able to get past this!! It's all in the mind :)
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    New runner here. I completed week 4 day 2. Need to slow down the pace. I run on treadmill at 5.0 for 5 min runs and 5.5 for the rest.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints too when I started running. But thankfully with a few modifications I not only managed to compete c25k and run 5k in a race, but I'm now doing the c210k program with a 10k race in about 3 weeks.

Some considerations:

* are you stretching adequately before you set out?
    * are you running on flat ground? (I was running on rocky, uneven, unsteady ground so my muscles had to work much harder)
    * do you have the right shoes to run in?
    * are you running too fast? (I run between 5-6 km/hr now - pretty slow. When i started, i ran slower still. C25K isn't about speed. It's about endurance)
    * are you properly hydrated prior to your run?

These are the check-ins my doctor gave me when I spoke to her about my shin splints and sure enough, once I corrected these things I no longer get shin splints. In fact I can now run on that uneven, unstable, rocky ground without an issue.

Good luck!
  • termyt
    termyt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stretch and slow down. You may need to repeat a day or week too. Also shoes are a biggy. Have you been fitted for the right shoe? Are your shoes new or old? I went and was fitted for shoes and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I also am a firm believer in compression socks or sleeves. I don't think I would have finished my 1st 1/2 marathon without my compression socks or my foam roller!

Good luck and keep it up!!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would say shoe makes a big difference, stretching and strenghtening of your shin.. I used to have the biggest shinsplit when i was running but started doing some execise and changed my shoes and don't have any problem anymore. Starting week 4 of C25K on Monday. I run at 5 mph, not fast but it's about endurance for now, I'll try to increase my speed once I'm done the program.
  • cdh5068
    Options
    When I did track in high school, the trainer would have us walk the length of the football field on our heels then back on our toes. Apparently that's supposed to be great for preventing shin splints.
    Don't be discouraged about repeating days or weeks. I'm on week 3 now, and even though it's 9 week program, I've been telling myself to think of it as a 12 week program so I don't get down on myself if I need to repeat. It's something new and it's gonna take time for your body to adjust. Try to find some stories of c25k graduates to motivate you. I think the only graduate stories I read where the people didn't have to repeat anything are ones from people who use to be runners and just took some time off, or people who were heavily involved in another sport so were already conditioned well.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I once read a quote that said if you can't run a minute, run slower! I apply the same rule to all aspects of increasing running time. If you can't complete it at 5.5, run it at 5.2. Still too hard? Drop down to 5.0. Still too hard? Go for 4.8. Once you find the speed where you are able to complete the required time, then you can work on making it harder and faster. When I ran for 20 minutes straight, I only did it at 4.8 mph. I was happy with it. When I was doing C25k week 5 day 1 with my friend, I ran at a 4.9 and the last minute of each running segment I pumped it up between 5.5 and 5.8. My goal is to get to running for about 35-40 minutes straight and then do intervals of faster speeds throughout to increase my overall speed.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I did c25k a couple years ago when I first started trying to lose weight. I had to repeat days several times. The biggest thing for me was to slow down. I was running on a treadmill at around 5.2 or so and actually had to go down to 4.8. It's very slow for jogging, but, at the time, that's all I could do. Two years later, I'm comfortable running around 5.5 pace when I actually do any running.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree with slowing down. I did the C25K last year and didn't finish because I felt it was too hard. I started back running this week and realized that if I slow down, I can run much farther. So I'm thinking of starting back on the C25K next week. I'm actually not running much faster than I walk when I'm exercising, but I figure I'll work on speed once I finish the program.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Slow it down....and maybe do the warm up walk twice... trust me, I have tried to push it and ended up with several setbacks.... twice with stress fractures, and then in November, I was pushing, must have had another stress fracture because I fell off a paving stone and BROKE my ankle in 3 places.....in a cast for 8 weeks.
    I just started back running again, and my average is 4.7 on the treadmill, and I get frustrated, but its not worth another injury...I am happy to just work my way up. I am doing the C25K again, and if I have to do the workouts more than once....so be it. I am still doing it.
    Dont' give up, and don't feel like a failure. You will get it.
    :happy:
  • age100
    Options
    Keep showing up and doing it. I repeated weeks 4,5,6 SEVERAL times before I felt like I could move on. It took me 5 months to get ready, but I ran my 7th 5k last week. New insoles in my running shoes have made a lot of difference in overcoming knee and back pain.