Birthday weekend :/

Options
Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to the boards- have only posted a few times before. I'm struggling with my calorie intake and so far my weight loss is not going as well as I had hoped. That being said, I'm worried about this weekend. My boyfriend is turning 21 and he and I are going to his parents place for the celebrations. The hard thing is that he has 2 sets of parents which means 2 different parties (that will most likely include cake and alcohol since he and his family are all a healthy weight).

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can boost my willpower so I don't mess everything up this weekend?

Thanks so much!!
-Karen

Replies

• sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have one drink, a half slice of cake at each party and keep talking to people. Bring gum.

There's nothing wrong with indulging a little, just fit it into your calorie goals and exercise and DRINK LOTS of WATER! :)
  • xXWhisperaXx
    xXWhisperaXx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have one drink, a half slice of cake at each party and keep talking to people. Bring gum.

There's nothing wrong with indulging a little, just fit it into your calorie goals and exercise and DRINK LOTS of WATER! :)

if only my will power allowed me to indulge "just a little" :tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure I eat lots of the healthy snacks that are out before going for cake too- to fill me up more. :]
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Try to plan the rest of the day around the festivities. Honestly, one day (if you don't go completely overboard) won't ruin things unless you, like I have done, go, "Oh, I ate way too much. I'm not going to log it because what's the point? I'll start fresh on Monday... of next week." :laugh:

Unless you eat 3500 calories over what you should, you wont even gain a pound. I never weigh myself after a night where I have overindulged, though, because I magically gain 743810 pounds from water.
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    :drinker: Have a drink he only turn's 21 once, but you don't have to over do it. I am sure everyone will understand if you don't eat all the cake that is put on your plate. It is only going to taste good for a few minute's then the taste is gone and the calorie's remain. :noway: Good luck..
  • toggerr
    toggerr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to drink a lot of water. Also obviously avoid or have very small portions of foods with high sugar, fat, or that are fried. That said, your boyfriends 21st birthday only comes once so enjoy it with him! He can always chase you around the block an extra time the next day ;)
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    It's one day - ONE DAY. Enjoy it. You have to learn to eat an drink in moderation if you want to be successful at maintaining good health. I indulge on special days - why not?! Life isn't worth living if you can't enjoy yourself on occasion. But get back on track the next day and don't let it derail your efforts.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

if only my will power allowed me to indulge "just a little" :tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure I eat lots of the healthy snacks that are out before going for cake too- to fill me up more. :]

Soooo... what is your question then? You know the answer; don't eat the cake and drink a ton if you are worried about the calories from them. It's really not rocket science, is it? If you are going to meet your weight loss goals you're going to have to realize that there is no magic to it; Don't eat more than you burn and you will lose weight.

Nobody can say no to the food for you.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    It's one day - ONE DAY. Enjoy it. You have to learn to eat an drink in moderation if you want to be successful at maintaining good health. I indulge on special days - why not?! Life isn't worth living if you can't enjoy yourself on occasion. But get back on track the next day and don't let it derail your efforts.

This!

You have to still enjoy life. He's not 21 every day, have a great time, enjoy the celebration, then get straight back on the wagon.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Enjoyment of life doesn't have to be about food. I enjoyed my day's 80th birthday celebration without going over my calories. And yes, there was Kansas City barbecue and are involved. I ate small portions of the things I wanted the most and took my nephews on a long walk around the neighborhood. I also exercised beforehand to add calories to my day.
  • magsxx
    magsxx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Why not offer to take a dish along with you and then maybe do a salad of some sorts that you could have a big plate of. For your drinking have something low in calories like vodka and diet lemonade and for every other drink just have the lemonade and no one will even notice and then have the slice of cake and just count it into your calories. then maybe up your exercise over the next few days :)