Insanity, Turbo Fire, P90X, Chalean Extreme

Options
Hey,

Opinions? If you've done any or all of these did you get the results you were happy with the first time around?

Exercise is addictive so when you finish one, you're more likely to complete another. I'm just wondering if the first time through gave you enough motivation through results to keep going. I'm 38, quit smoking 6 months ago and am just trying to find a way to be leaner, feel amazing and obviously look better for my hubby of 22 years cause he can still make me :blushing: . I have P90X, haven't been able to complete that one and I don't think I'll ever be able to complete their nutrition recommendations. Some foods are just gross! I also have Chalean extreme; So far, I haven't been able to stick with it.

Anyway.. thoughts?

Replies

• joneslnb
    joneslnb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity and Turbo Fire. For a beginner I agree with jordannamusca that you should try Turbo Jam or maybe Chalene Extreme. I was in a funk four years ago and started attending Turbo Kick classes at a local gym. I didn't even like aerobics classes at the time but I became addicted. Turbo Jam should be similar to Turbo Kick. Turbo Fire is like Turbo Kick except it is all 'Turbo'. I prefer the rest of the class to the Turbo portion (if that makes sense). Anyway, I loved Turbo Kick so much that I would jump out of bed on a Saturday morning even though I was exhausted just so I could go to class. I then because an instructor and have been teaching for a year. In fact, if you go to TurboKick.com you can purchase what they call 'Fan Volumes' of Turbo Kick. You get two 'Rounds' for $55.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing week 3 of Insanity & I love it. It's hard as hell, but my body is definitely changing for the better. I haven't lost much on the scale (2lbs as of today) but I feel different & my tummy definitely looks different so far, which is encouraging.

I plan on doing Insanity again after I get through this first round - like I said it's really hard, but you go at your own pace. I'd like to be able to get through the workouts better, so I'll be doing it again.

I like Shaun T's coaching style - seems like a good balance of nice & tough - so was thinking about getting another one of his in the future, like Hip Hop Abs - sounds fun.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have friends who prefer Chalean Extreme and Power 90. I definitely recommend starting with one if you haven't done any programs yet. I didn't, but maybe I should have. P90X is definitely good. I did a round of it, could barely do more than half the exercises for full duration, then used a few dvd's in a modified program for round 2 because of time constraints. I just finished week 2 of Insanity, and it is the hardest by far.. it's more core, thigh, and cardio based. It assumes you already have a good muscle foundation.
  • EmmaLA16
    EmmaLA16 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity and I love it. I had never done anything like it before and I have Turbo Fire ready and waiting for when Insanity is finished. When I started I thought my fitness levels were quite high as I was running 3 miles five times a week, but I was in for a surprise. I originally started Insanity before Christmas and completed four weeks, I saw a 9 inch loss in the first two weeks, which was amazing. I took a break over Christmas and then was ill just after (shingles), but have started again and have just completed week one. I am not really fussed on P90X because of all the extra equipment needed but I know others who are doing it and love it too.
    Hope this helps.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 3rd month of Chalean extreme and love it. Have lost 5 lbs and 6 inches. Have muscle definition and am starting to lean out in my legs. Like you, I wanted to start working out and did not know which program to do or if I would stick to it. I have followed the schedule and love my workouts now!!
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity, Turbo Fire and P90 x...I started with Insanity and have lost a few pounds going into. I week three. The workouts are insane but I will push myself to complete each session..After I finish my first round I might go for round 2 or try Asylum...
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love P90X! I am already seeing a difference in my abs and legs, and my flexibility is so much better than it was before, I can touch the floor when I stretch now!

If it's your first time out P90X might be a bit extreme for you, so try Power90 first and then go from there! Remember to modify, modify, modify!
  • tigerlion2013
    tigerlion2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done two rounds of Insanity and two rounds of P90X so far. I lost 25 LBs since last July. I don't necessarily follow the recipes but I do keep to a 1500-2000 calorie diet.

I'm currently doing Asylum. I like all of these programs. My wife is doing Chalene's extreme and likes it too.

I've personally seen the results myself. Whether it's P90X vs. Chalene vs. Insanity or others depends on fitness goals, current fitness level, and preference. If you like more resistance training, go with P90X. If you like vigorous cardio workouts, go with Insanity and then move on to Asylum.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I did Insanity without seeing insane results.
    I did Power 90 (the program prior to P90X) and was shocked how much it did for me! I lost inches like crazy. If you're looking for a program that will motivate and see results in 90 days. Power 90 is it.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity without seeing insane results.
    I did Power 90 (the program prior to P90X) and was shocked how much it did for me! I lost inches like crazy. If you're looking for a program that will motivate and see results in 90 days. Power 90 is it.
    Perfect example of why you need a program for your fitness level. I would cruise through power 90 without breaking a sweat. It wouldn't benefit me much. Insanity won't benefit you if you have to give up halfway through each exercise.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have done all of these programs and right now I am doing a hybrid of CheLEAN and TurboFire which has given me the best results!
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity, I'm in the middle of Chalean Extreme, and I have Turbo Fire.
    Insanity was good, Shawn T drove me crazy by the end though.
    I like Chalean, and then I add in my own cardio (running) or Turbo Fire if it's too cold out.
    Next I'm doing a CE/TF hybrid.
    I think it mostly just depends on what you like, and what will motivate you to keep at it.
    Good luck!