Eat Clean? Gimme some tips!

Options
So a lot of my friends on here talk constantly about eating clean. Can someone please tell me, what exactly is eating clean? How do I know if I ate clean? I'm new at this trying to be healthy thing and I thought just eating better period would help me. I have been losing weight but I noticed that I am eating a ton of carbs and I want to cut back. Any tips for a newbie?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Afraid you'll get a whole mixed bag of responses here as 'clean' eating means different things to different people. Some will say its only eating wholefoods (I.e. nothing processed) others will consider it as Paleo.

I personally see no problem with carbs, but you may wish to use wholemeal bread / pasta and brown rice as they're higher in fibre and protein so they'll keep you fuller for longer.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    From what I gather it is eating foods as close to their whole/natural state as possible. No processed foods or at least as minimal as you can get it. Fresh fruits, veggies, grains, meats etc. Processed foods contain preservatives, even all natural prepared foods usually have a ton of salt added (a natural preservative). If you're eating fresh fruits, veggies, grains, meats there isn't all those added preservatives.

As far as your carbs go, because of my husbands Type 2 Diabetes we were already cutting back the carbs before joining MFP. Now that I've seen my diet on MFP (been here since August)...well, I've re-evaluated and seriously cut back on sodium (I was easily double what is recommended on any given day). I'm for making small changes so I can stick to them. Right now I'm working on getting more Iron since I'm prone to Iron deficient anemia. If you're way over on carbs and are concerned about it you could pay attention to the worst offenders in your diet and which you can easily alter to reduce your carb intake. I personally don't recommend total elimination. I think we need carbs as part of a well balanced diet and don't believe in eliminating something as a jump start to weight loss. If you want to totally eliminate something I'd recommend caffeine or alcohol.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/10_ways_to_eat_clean

I found this website easy to understand and helpful. Hope this is what you were looking for!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't a scientific definition for clean eating. For most, it is about avoiding foods that are over processed with sugars and other additives: choosing whole grains instead of white flour, fresh or frozen veggies, whole fruits instead of juices.

Basically, it involves making your own meals with ingredients as close to their natural form as possible.

In our house, we focus on clean eating, but we don't obsess on it. We use multigrain sandwich thins, which I do not make myself. We keep a bottle of V8 in the fridge. We have deli meats almost everyday and we had sausage yesterday. We eat dairy products like cheese and yogurt as if they were going out of style. Personally, I count the dairy products as clean - just milk and enzymes!

More importantly, we have a fridge full of veggies, a basket full of fruit, a cupboard full of beans and a freezer full of frozen fish and poultry that form the basis of most of our meals. You can have red meat, we just don't like the cost of it. Even the $6/lb tilapia is a special treat.

Basically, it is homecooking the way you would do it if you had a diabetic and a heart patient in the house :tongue:
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is easy really. Basically, intead of buying, make as much yourself as you can. That may not satifisfy the clean eating Puritans, but, each bite of whole food you take is one bite towards better health.
    As you get into it, and get more comfortable in your skills, you will tackle more food until you find yourself buying ingredients when you shop, and little to no processed meals. I'm a whole food (unprocessed) foodie, but I will still buy the occasional loaf of bread, and I always buy boullion cubes instead of having my own home made soup stock (I don't have that talent... I make stuff that tastes like dish water).
    Do watch your carbs. Even if you aren't trying to go low carb, there is such thing as too many. Constantly high blood sugar can have negative health effects wether you are diabetic or not. Add fiber into your macros, and try to stay within your carb limit, while hitting your fiber goal (there is no harm in exceeding your fiber goal as long as you drink water.. don't drink enough, and you can experience constipation).
    If you need inspiration, google low gi foods, or the low gi diet. The foods listed in there will help you stay within your macros. Or, if you want to you can take a poke through my diary. If you have more questions about whole foods drop me a line.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For me, eating clean is this, if it comes in a box, has a label or a commercial, don't eat it
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shop from the outer ring of your grocery store.
    Eat single ingredient foods.
    Sticking to a 70:30 ratio can give great results so if you are on a 1600-2k/day diet youll have 480-600cals a day of junk or not clean food to still lose fat.
    Or
    Buy Primal Blueprint and be Paleo.
    Screw that!
    ;D
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you are doing good with your current plan, why do you want to change it? I say wait till you need to, then change it up.

I'm pretty sure if I ate clean and ate over my TDEE, I'd gain weight.
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use a general rule.....shop only the perimeter of your grocery store!! lol.............meats, eggs, fruits and veggies, nuts.ect.......the isles contain lots of preocessed foods and boxed foods......now, I do use rice and beans and canned/frozen veggies so I do get those items but if you look at it like that it may change your shopping/eating perspective:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Here's your tip: find an eating plan that's easier to adhere to. Changing your entire way of shopping, cooking, and eating is a recipe for frustration.

If you want to do it anyway, go ahead. There's no harm in it. Just know that there is no benefit either. You can achieve the exact same health and weight loss benefits by eating smaller portions of the foods you already enjoy
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    to me eating clean is only eating what your body needs, not what it craves. for example, you might look at a bag of fritos and think that eating it will give you the necessary carbs calories needed for part of the day for your energy. sure, that's true if you are still under your max. daily calories, carbs.....but could you get those calories and carbs from something less processed and that has more nutrients also? if the answer is yes than you just found a 'cleaner' alternative opposed to eating a 'junk' food.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There are recipes on this site, find one ( just one - for now ) and add it into your week, do this weekly until you see you are having at least 2 healthy meals a day. Or write down your own, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I think clean eating begins with a basic knowledge base, and there is a lot of info on this site. I found it helpful to understand what "Glycemic Index" meant and by using the right foods, you will maintain your blood sugar level and lose body fat and not be hungry all the time. Many foods cause sharp spikes in your blood sugar level, leaving you feel tired and hungry all th time. Best of luck.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Here's your tip: find an eating plan that's easier to adhere to. Changing your entire way of shopping, cooking, and eating is a recipe for frustration.

If you want to do it anyway, go ahead. There's no harm in it. Just know that there is no benefit either. You can achieve the exact same health and weight loss benefits by eating smaller portions of the foods you already enjoy

^Exactly!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    For me it is eating, whole grains (brown rice etc), whole grain breads, fresh fruit and veggies, lean protein, good fats. Avoiding processed foods.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat mainly whole foods that are nutrient dense. Don't try to put a label on it , especially one that has no common definition, and don't try to *only* eat clean. There is nothing wrong with things that come out of a packet, overall diet taken into consideration.