Major reduction in appetite, normal?

Options
Before changing my lifestyle, I was hungry *all* the time.

My appetite has been dwindling for a few weeks, but I've had a hard time eating even 1000cals the past two days. (Yes, I know this is very bad)

Is it even remotely normal to have such a decrease in appetite, or could something else be up?

Replies

• Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I noticed that I eat more since starting. I am almost always hungry - the worst part is I sit at a desk all day with makes it harder to not eat versus a weekend where I am way more active. Anyway - no it is not normal especially if you are not eating at least 1200 a day. keep a close eye on it and if you are not back to eating 1200 plus exercise I would go to the dr. jmo
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had this happen for a while (think mine lasted about a month) and it was very hard to eat all my calories, I ate around 1000 and just wasn't hungry for the rest. I wouldn't worry too much if you feel like you still have energy and don't get sick, but if it lasts too long check with a nutritionist.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you used to eat a lot of empty calories,(greasy, sugary foods) your body was not getting the nutrition it needed so it kept asking for more. Now you are concentrating on eating well, your body is getting the nutrients it needs and is satisfied. It is a good sign that you are no longer hungry all the time. Now you need to find your natural level. The AVERAGE is 1200 calories, for some people it is higher, for some people it is lower. You may be on the low end. If you are not hungry during the day, but wake up hungry in the morning you are probably close to your natural level. If you think you should be eating more but aren't hungry, exercise more and your body will want more nutrients. It sounds to me like you are learning a very important thing. You are listening to what your body needs. Congrats on changing your lifestyle for the better!
  • norcalrv
    norcalrv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great advice, thanks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was going to say yes until I read the entire message. If you have been overeating and start eating healthier portions I think it's completely normal for your appetite to adjust to the smaller portions. But to not even want to eat 1000 calories does not sound normal.
  • wannababyH
    Options
    If you used to eat a lot of empty calories,(greasy, sugary foods) your body was not getting the nutrition it needed so it kept asking for more.

That makes a lot of sense. I was eating *horribly*. A lot of fat, and a LOT of sugar (like chocolate). Now I drink more water and stick pretty exclusively to chicken and veggies.
  • wannababyH
    Options
    But to not even want to eat 1000 calories does not sound normal.

Could just getting over a cold have any affect? I was able to eat normally while I was sick.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to eat 1000 calories is not "normal", but you may be like me. My body is a high efficiency model. I rarely eat more than 1000 calories, the only reason I am loosing weight is the extra exercise I am doing. I take supplements to be sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs and I am showing no signs of malnutrition nor have I had a "plateau" since I started loosing weight last May. I see no reason to eat if you are not hungry, especially if you are not showing any signs of malnutrition and you are continuing to loose weight at a reasonable rate.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    id say your mentally dealing with old cravings that way, im going through this atm and im eatin under 1000 a day when i used to eat 1000's more! and if your seeing change then its a positve, just keep an eye on it and to be sure your getting enough vitamins and drinking water you should be fine =]
  • gottabeslim
    Options
    Me too. I've gone two weeks without rubbishy food and whereas I was struggling to keep my intake down, now that I'm exercising I'm easily managing. I had a teaspoon of honey in my green tea the other day and the sugar rush made me feel so ill????
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you used to eat a lot of empty calories,(greasy, sugary foods) your body was not getting the nutrition it needed so it kept asking for more. Now you are concentrating on eating well, your body is getting the nutrients it needs and is satisfied.

Exactly this. If you're finding that you're eating more fiber and protein especially than you used to, that could be the "culprit" as they fill you up more and make you feel more satisfied. It's a good thing, not a bad thing at all. You do want to make sure that you eat the right amount of calories for your body too though.