Need help with Recipes/cals etc

Options
luly727
luly727 Posts: 202 Member
I made a Rotini Noodle dish tonite and I caclulate it very low in fat & calories..

My question is when I try to go in and add the ingredients, I need to know if the Rotini Pasta info on this site ( Great Value) is that for Uncooked or the Cooked pasta???

I didnt measure before I made the casserole and now am totally confused as to how much is a serving , and the calories etc//

Any Help???

Replies

• sandrabutterfly
    Options
    Best way to see how many cals a recipe has is to enter it in this website

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

do your best to estimate

hope this helps
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What I have found with pasta is that generally it goes by the precooked weight. The box also gives a "Servings per Container" reading. So what I did to figure it all out was to cook the entire box and then divide it out into equal servings. For instance: The box said serving size was 2 oz. Servings per container was 7. I divided the cooked pasta into 7 equal portions and then measured one portion...it turned out to be 3/4 cup of cooked pasta.
    Hope this helps! :smile:
  • ChiWaWaMaMa4
    Options
    thank you !! cool site!!!\\
    Best way to see how many cals a recipe has is to enter it in this website

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

do your best to estimate

hope this helps
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What I have found with pasta is that generally it goes by the precooked weight. The box also gives a "Servings per Container" reading. So what I did to figure it all out was to cook the entire box and then divide it out into equal servings. For instance: The box said serving size was 2 oz. Servings per container was 7. I divided the cooked pasta into 7 equal portions and then measured one portion...it turned out to be 3/4 cup of cooked pasta.
    Hope this helps! :smile:

I agree, most packaging lists the precooked weight.

I thought this might be a good place to mention my FAVOURITE weight loss friend--my kitchen scale. I bought a cheap one (I think it was less than $20 at a local liquidation store) and it is a god-send! I used to get so annoyed with packaging that would list the servings by anything I couldn't readily figure out with my measuring cups and spoons (ie: oz, grams, or some fraction of the package) I was way too lazy to figure that out! Enter my good pal kitchen scale. I use it for everything: cereal, meat, pasta, nuts, cheese etc. I love it!

I highly recommend investing in one if you can--it's made life so much easier for me.