Getting really discouraged...the scale just won't budge

Options
I'm about ready to give up and just decide that I'll never be where I want to be. I'm 4'11 and I"m teatering between 140 and 143 depending on the day of the week...The heaviest I've ever been. I'm really only trying to lose about 10-15lbs but I swear it's the hardest 10 lbs I've ever tried to lose. I've been working out 3-4 days a week in addition to doing hot yoga once or twice a week. I wear a heart rate monitor so I know my calorie burn is pretty good during my workouts. I'm also logging my food intake every day and I'm usually slightly under or at my weekly goal. I'll admit, I give myself a splurge every once in a while, but I stay in my weekly goal.. But the scale just won't budge...not even a little. I've been at this for so long and I just don't see any progress. Now I'm sick with a sinus infection and too tired to work out and I just feel like I'm never going to get a handle on this.

So this is my question...Is my body trying tell me that this is where I'm supposed to be? Or is it just harder as we get older (I'm 39 by the way)? I've hit plateaus in the past and eventually you push through them. But this doesn't feel like a plateau, I can't even get started.

This is my rant for today. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

Replies

• alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just curious, have you done your tdee calculation? I know loosing the last 10-15lbs is the hardest but they say take your tdee - 10percent for those last few lbs. I know right now I'm doing my tdee -20 and loosing 1-2 lbs a week. Also take measurements, sometimes when we are not loosing scale lbs we are loosing inches. Just don't give up. I hope you feel better soon.
  • dporter59
    Options
    Please don't give up! I am obsessed with the scales and I acctually did'nt weigh myself this morning for the first time in a year. I get really discouraged too when I get on the scales.Lets just try and do the best we can. It's a new day!
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do it, get yourself better first though. You'll only be more discouraged if you are hard on yourself while you're sick.
    One thing I noticed in your diary is your low (on most days), water. Try drinking a minimum of 8-9 glasses a day.
    You might consider looking at your macros. Are your macro (protein, carb, fat) percentages where they should be? Is that something you are aiming for daily or is it just calorie count?
    Yes calorie in vs calorie out is key to losing weight, but the types of calories can make a big difference. Try cutting back on sugar intake (not just table sugar, but also those found in white foods like white bread, white rice, etc). That stalls some people.
    Seek put the advice of others here on MFP who are in the same boat, either looking to lose the same amount of weight, same height people and same age.
    I just turned 40 (how did that happen?!?) and it does get harder, but you can do it!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    a suggestion. instead of trying the usual eating under your goal. try to increase it a little. add more protein. this is what my mom had to do to start losing weight when she got stuck. change your settings to active and see where that places you calorie wise.
  • Zdesh
    Zdesh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just curious, have you done your tdee calculation? I know loosing the last 10-15lbs is the hardest but they say take your tdee - 10percent for those last few lbs. I know right now I'm doing my tdee -20 and loosing 1-2 lbs a week. Also take measurements, sometimes when we are not loosing scale lbs we are loosing inches. Just don't give up. I hope you feel better soon.

Not sure what the tree calc is but I'll look it up and give it a try... Thanks
  • Zdesh
    Options
    You might consider looking at your macros. Are your macro (protein, carb, fat) percentages where they should be? Is that something you are aiming for daily or is it just calorie count?
    Yes calorie in vs calorie out is key to losing weight, but the types of calories can make a big difference. Try cutting back on sugar intake (not just table sugar, but also those found in white foods like white bread, white rice, etc). That stalls some people.

I've always just focused on calories but you're right. The types of calories might make a difference too. I've pretty much given up white bread and white rice, unless I'm out and that's all they have. But sugar might be an issue...I like condiments.

Thanks so much!
  • Zdesh
    Options
    Please don't give up! I am obsessed with the scales and I acctually did'nt weigh myself this morning for the first time in a year. I get really discouraged too when I get on the scales.Lets just try and do the best we can. It's a new day!

Yeah, I realize the scale messes with my head too. Maybe I'll start tracking my inches instead. Right now I weigh myself almost every day and I have to stop that.

Thanks
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Open your diary...it's in there. Are you measuring everything? Lot's of times what we think is 1 tbsp of sugar is really 2! And those "little" calories add up. Be sure you are accurately accounting for everything in your diary.

When you say you splurge every once in a while, what does that entail? If it's eating out, lot's of what is out there contains a lot of sodium and that will retain water.

What do your workouts consist of? Is it a combination of cario/circuit training?

This is not your body telling you where it wants to be....WE tell our bodies where we want them to be! I'm 45, 5' 11" 169 lbs...I was 165 in high school and I'm happy at this weight. Bear down, give up the cheat meals and you will get to your goal weight!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents? If I ate pancakes, biscuits, & hot pockets I'd GAIN weight. Whether I was within the calorie restriction or not! I don't see any real veggies in there or whole grains when I just did a quick check. I'd go old school. Cut out processed foods as they contain chemicals, salts, sugars, and oils that are above and beyond what is healthy to eat. The current medical recommendation for healthy diet relating to sodium levels is 1500mg/day. With processed foods it is easy to get double that. Sugar also comes in many names to be hidden in the ingredient list. Both salt and sugar hold water in your body. If I even eat bread my weight will go up a pound overnight! Fruits, veggies, and cooked dried beans are the way to go. healthy fats are found in raw unsalted nuts and avocados. Eating raw veggies helps lose weight faster than anything and you can really have as much as you want for a relatively low calorie hit. Also read this great post on weighing your food versus measuring or eyeballing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/766769-weighing-vs-measuring-food Just my take! Good luck to you!

Edit: I looked at your diary again and checked out your sodium intake which was like 3200+ and a fiber intake of 6gms one day. Eating 35gms of fiber is the current medical recommendation for a healthy colon. Eating fiber helps decrease your colon cancer risk and keeps you full, and makes you very happy in the bathroom! = D I remember one of the very first recommendations given to me was to make sure that every grain product I ate was a whole grain. Learn to read labels and consider the benefits/risks to your health as you do. Changing your diet now will make your life easier later on. It's never too late to increase your health with healthy eating! I did see 1 cup of carrots the other day and half a cup of Uncle Ben's Brown rice. The sugar in whole fruit is a component of a real fruit and is healthy rather than pancake syrup or sugar in your coffee. It doesn't count as "bad for you" as those sugars do. You can do much better in the veggie department. Start thinking in terms of one big salad either at lunch or dinner and put EVERYTHING you can think of in it except dressing. OR really water down your dressing to start. Cubed mangoes make a great dressing because they are so juicy and sweet!

Edit again! Just wanted to let you know that I started my adventure at 205 pounds when I was 49. I've had hypothyroid disease since I was 19. My only exercise for the most part is walking for 30 minutes twice a day and I spend my day behind a desk. If i can do it you can do it. My success I found was related to what I would give up. I couldn't eat my old way even in smaller portions and expect to get to 135. I decided there was more to life than donuts and pizza and darned if there isn't! You can do it!
  • Zdesh
    Options
    Thanks for the wake up call Susan. Yes, when time gets short, the quality of my food isn't always the best. But I try to manage my portions. If you go back a little further there is plenty of egg whites, baked sweet potatoes, fish and yogurts and salads in there too. But I'm the first to admit that I find it difficult to give up certain things, especially when I'm eating out, and family gatherings are the worst.

As for workouts, I do cycling 2 or 3 times a week along with circuit training and weights. I also try to get in a hot yoga class a couple of times a week.
  • mitzydillman
    Options
    Don't give up. Just keep trying!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Protein is so low most days.
    Also what is your family history with health issues?
    Possible hormonal issues?
    Do you lift weights or cardio?

After looking at your diary I feel 1600 is a good spot to shot for daily but you may have to change your routine a little to get what you need from the nutrients brought in.
    Just up that protein to about 100-120g and youll see loads of difference.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're in a tough spot, being so, ahem, short. :-) But you can do this.

If it were me?

I'd start by knowing my TDEE and BMR
    And then eating TDEE minus 15-20%

I'd also mix it up a bit. You eat an awful lot of heavily processed foods.
    See what happens if you eat more whole grains
    More protein
    More fruits and leafy green vegetables
    More fiber.
    If I ate your diary, I wouldn't poop. Ever (tmi)
    I have to eat whole wheat versus white bread, and brown rice versus white rice.
    Maybe your body is telling you something too? You never know. All you know is what you're doing now isn't working.

You can do this!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

Yeah, I realize the scale messes with my head too. Maybe I'll start tracking my inches instead. Right now I weigh myself almost every day and I have to stop that.

Thanks

I am here too...only weighing twice and month and trying to measure instead...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Based on the stats you have given your BMR is around 1356 and your TDEE is around 1865 http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ suggests you eat 1678 to lose 1/2lb per week, maybe consider eating more :flowerforyou:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "I've been working out 3-4 days a week in addition to doing hot yoga once or twice a week. I wear a heart rate monitor so I know my calorie burn is pretty good during my workouts. I'm also logging my food intake every day and I'm usually slightly under or at my weekly goal."

OK...first of all, you are eating too few calories for someone who is NOT sedentary! Recalculate your TDEE. 1200 isn;t enough for you.

Secondly, you say that you are "at or slightly under" your daily calories? Um..no. I looked at your diary, and you are not consistent at all. You are either way under or way over. Try for more of a daily balance. (Say you are set for 1500 cals. Three meals a day = 500 cals/meal. Of course, this is merely an example - you have to adjust this a bit to include snacks.) Then, try to meet your dailies every single day. A little under or over is fine.

Finally, eat back half to most of your exercise calories. Someone as active as you needs to fuel your body.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck with no wt loss for ~4 months now. I am NOT happy, it has been recommended I increase my daily goal a bit and I've put myself back on a regular meal schedule (I had been working the craziest hours so not eating at regular meal times) And stepped back my carbs a bit. (I can't do "low carb" my hair falls out, but I can have tuna salad without bread)

So, I don't have an answer for you, but I understand the frustration, just don't give up!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I agree with what people have said re: eating and changing your calorie intake to match your TDEE. Feel free to friend me if you like - my BMR and TDEE sound similar to yours based on the calcs Faye ran. I'm also trying to lose about 10lb, though I'm more focused on weight lifting and fitness goals than pounds lost. My BMR is around 1375, I eat at my sedentary TDEE minus 15%, which is around 1400 calories, but I eat all of my exercise calories back, so I usually end up eating 2000-2200 calories.

I eat pretty clean, though I don't eat quite as many vegetables as I ought and my eating has been worse than usual this week, but my diary is open, if you want to check it out!
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight and instead use measurement to track progress and work on being fit. When you don't have much to lose already, it's much more advantageous ti turn those extra pounds of fat into muscle instead.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One thing which helps me is working out how to make up for the things I know I can't do - like cook properly for example, when I get home tired that's when I'm most likely to end up having a takeaway. So I have a stash of cans of veg soup and if I'm organised I cook main meals in batches and freeze them to have with rice or pasta later. It means I have meals that take less than half an hour to make. Or, lazy though it sounds to people who cook twice a day, buy freshly prepared vegetables (or frozen) so you can throw together a meal without all the hard work of prep that is so likely to make me reach for the phone.

I know I'm not going to cook much, that's my lifestyle at the moment, so anything that means you're going to have to do extra to get healthier food isn't going to work, especially when you're busy. If you know what is stopping you eating more healthily that's the key to finding ways round it. Hope this helps.