my first 5k

Options
I participated in my first 5k 1/26/13 after getting an email through amazon local- which benefitted the ATL Mission. I completed it under my desired time, which was great, bc it was sooooo cold & the wind was fierce!!!! i was so proud because i never thought I'd be able to do something like that....since in years past.... walking up the stairs left me out of breath.

With all that said... I got information on 2 other 5k and hoping others join... whether its with me, or not. They raise fun to help others & that's def rewarding. so.....

2/16 Run for orphans 5k

4/27 Refugee Run 5k

All in Atlanta

Replies

• jdsmom0104
    Options
    bump
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    bump
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment! Fundraising for a good cause always feels good, too.

My advice is to check out a Color Run or Color Me Rad run. I'm sure they're stopping in ATL sometime soon. That has been the most fun of all the 5k's I've done. Get a group of friends together and rock it!
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    yes, im registered to get info as it gets closer to the date :)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about these. How do you do a 5k? Do you have to pay some sort of fee, or do you have to get a bunch of friends to raise X amount in your name, or what? Do you sign up on a website somewhere, call a number, or just show up after reading an announcement in a running magazine?

I see a LOT of people on here and http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit talking about 5ks, and it seems like fun, but I have no clue where to start looking once I am physically capable of trying one.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about these. How do you do a 5k? Do you have to pay some sort of fee, or do you have to get a bunch of friends to raise X amount in your name, or what? Do you sign up on a website somewhere, call a number, or just show up after reading an announcement in a running magazine?

I see a LOT of people on here and http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit talking about 5ks, and it seems like fun, but I have no clue where to start looking once I am physically capable of trying one.

Search google for 5k in your area. There are a couple of different sites that will list upcoming ones they will link you to the site for the 5k you are interested in and you will get all of the info there.

OP awesome job!!
  • jdsmom0104
    Options

[/quote

I got an email for local deals in my area.... for this particular event. I guess bc of the kind of run - they give u more information hoping you'd do it again. We were given a bag with the info. You can raise $$, but this particular one, was just a flat rate. Think it was only $12
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    thanks