dieting for the, ahem, more mature lady!!!

Options
Hi I am 61 just joined here but dieting has always been really difficult for me...........not the actual dieting, I have great will power, but its just losing weight thats difficult.....I have a thyroid problem and am on certain medications - all of which inhibit weight loss............so so frustrating. Anybody got any tips to get the metabolism moving more.........................thanks my new dieting friends :-)

Replies

• JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    Have you tried any weight training? Low weight, high reps are a great place to start. As we ladies get older I understand we lose a lot of muscle mass that leads to a slower calorie burn. Something to think about.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! have you found the "over 60" group for communication? It is my favorite... I have a 1951 birth date.

I am thyroid meds too. Age... retired life style... makes weight loss a challenge. I don't know how much I have lost or if I have lost... I will check in with my doc in a few weeks. It was my doc who brought to my attention that I had gained 10 lbs since June!! At 5 feet tall that is a lot!!

Good luck!! I look forward to seeing more of you and wish you well with your goals.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am very, very interested in your reply. Why high reps and low weights. I would love to have more education regarding working with weights and cardio exercises... how to combine the 2 to get the most out of gym time. Any resources or web sites I should look at? Looking forward to hearing from you.
  • scorpfem
    Options
    Hi there - I am also on thyroid meds. It was discovered that I had a thyroid problem when I went up 4 sizes in clothing in 6 weeks, without changing any of my diet etc. I have just joined not long ago and at the moment just looking around and seeing how my regular eating is for calories etc before deciding my next step. I have also just given up smoking and am very scared that my weight is going to balloon.
  • thelma1952
    Options
    Hi there - I am also on thyroid meds. It was discovered that I had a thyroid problem when I went up 4 sizes in clothing in 6 weeks, without changing any of my diet etc. I have just joined not long ago and at the moment just looking around and seeing how my regular eating is for calories etc before deciding my next step. I have also just given up smoking and am very scared that my weight is going to balloon.

I gave up smoking too and the weight has just seemed to pile on but obviously we must be eating and not of noticed because really we all know its calories that make fat if we dont burn them off..............I'm retired now but bringing up two grandsons ages 6 and 12 years and you would think its keeps me fit.............well it does to a certain extent but tbh it knackers me as 61 now lol and this thyroid problem too is a pain...............are we destined to just turn into fat old ladies I ask myself....I so hope not. Good luck to you....and to me too :-)