Substitute for cream or milk in coffee?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on a substitute for cream or milk in coffee? I can't give up my coffee - yet! The extra calories from milk/cream are killing my daily calorie total. I'd rather eat the calories than drink them. I've tried black coffee and just can't do it. Thank you for any suggestions!

Replies

• primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try coconut milk or coconut oil.
    Maybe try some spices like cinnamon, nut meg or something spicy like cayenne.
    Hope this helps.
  • twonkieone
    Options
    bumpedy bump -- this is me too!!!! loooove my coffee and drink 4+ cups a day. I need the creamer but have cut waaaaaay down on the sugar. i did get a keurig which help because it's good coffee - smells good and tastes good and there are tons of options. i did start mixing in some hot chocolate mix w/ the coffee -- can get the sugar free kind - and that helped w/ both sugar and cream. plus - it added chocolate!! win! i also added in cinnamon to the grinds - that helps cut down on the acidity of the coffee so you need less cream. :drinker:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've heard almond or soy milk is good. Not sure on the calorie comparisons to milk though.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. A whole cup of it is only 40 calories and I really only need 1/4 cup (10 calories). Coconut creamer is good and only 10 calories per tablespoon. I use that sometimes, too. To sweeten it, I love using torani sugar free syrup. It's zero calorie. I use the vanilla one.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In my black coffee, I substitute for cream...more black coffee. Once you get used to the bitterness, it is awesome!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Get some half and half, its only 10 cals per the little pre packaged cups of it. Or just use one flavored creamer, those are only 30 cals. You could use a zero cal sweetener with a half and half.

I can't imagine that 10-30 cals is going to make or break your diet anyway.

Have you tried flavored teas?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I prefer my coffee black when it's hot, but if I'm drinking iced coffee I liked to add milk. I still do, because I like the protein and calcium and good fats in milk, but I have put in almond milk and coconut milks. I don't like the aftertaste almond milk gives it. But you might want to look into coconut milk, or even the coconut milk creamers. The "regular" coconut milk creamer is around 10 calories a tbsp, versus around 50 calories per tbsp of heavy cream, or 20 calories for a tbsp of regular coffeemate coffee creamer. I haven't tried the creamers they make, but I absolutely love the So Delicious chocolate coconut milk... /drool

http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-creamers/barista-creamer-french-vanilla
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Similar to another poster, I used flavored almond milks and soy milks when looking to cut back on cream in my coffee. As someone who exclusively drinks 2%, it required a bit of time to adjust. (At first, I added more almond milk to compensate for the lack of cream.) But as you adjust, many people find that they need less of it.

Also, I ended up finding that a lot of times I preferred eating my oatmeal/cereal made with flavored almond/soy milk.
  • tinamfiore
    Options
    I've switched to Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened - it's only 40 calories per cup. I use 1/4 a cup in my coffee. It's not cream but it was easy to adjust to the taste. Much, much better than black coffee!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I've switched to Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened - it's only 40 calories per cup. I use 1/4 a cup in my coffee. It's not cream but it was easy to adjust to the taste. Much, much better than black coffee!
    I use the same one and same amount. I can verify that this is good :drinker:
  • VegKellyRN
    VegKellyRN Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love Silk Creamer. It's creamier than regular soy or almond milk so it's much more like the "real thing" in coffee. :)
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Spend the money you could be spending on cream and sweetener on good coffee. Flavored coffees or the ones you can grind and bag yourself always seem to do it for me. Sprouts has some really good ones, Dunkin Donuts coffee is actually very nice, and even Target has some (get the peppermint!!!). But if you're just not really for that, then I agree on the coconut milk and spices.
  • jimzisa
    jimzisa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk - it has calories, but I find the nutritional return better than dairy - and, as I make coffee in a press, I add coconut cream to the pot of grounds before pouring in the hot water. Mixing the cream in while the coffee is "brewing" seems to make the creamer go farther. Hence, I use less.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Drink it black! NOM
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try So Delicious coconut creamer (comes in French vanilla, hazelnut, and original) which is 20 calories per tablespoon, or Silk soy creamer which is 15-20 calories per tablespoon and comes in the same flavors.
  • littlehealthyhope
    littlehealthyhope Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    almond milk :)
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to believe that a splash of nonfat milk in coffee will ruin calories for the day. I love my coffee with milk and I use a lot more than a little. For me nothing else comes close and I tried soy, almond, and coconut milks. I love my coffee too much to have the taste ruined. But, it's a personal preference. Good luck finding a substitute.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just use low fat or non fat milk in my coffee, and that only comes up to perhaps 15 calories per mug? I've slowly "trained" myself to not need sugar in my coffee, so now it's just milk :) Maybe cut down on your coffee intake?
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can try almond or skim milk. However I've gotten myself drinking black now, after you get used to it it's not bad at all!
  • asutoro32
    Options
    try weaker coffee (add water then you can have a bigger cup :)) and stevia....