getting emotional during my workouts

Options
Some times after a long workout (typically cardio, but it's happened in hot yoga too) I'll start to cry, I am not sad or in pain or even exhausted , but the tears will start streaming down my face. I think it may be connected to endorphines but I haven't been able to find anything to back this up. Just wondering if it has happened to anyone eles or if anyone knows why it's happening to me.

Replies

• carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon, especially for yoga.

Some folks might find this to be mumbo jumbo (and that's cool) but we hold a lot of emotional tension in our muscles. When you let it go sometimes you trigger other physiological responses like crying. I've definitely felt emotional after yoga a time or two.
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me in yoga a few times but not during cardio.
  • Tecolotl
    Options
    I wonder if it's similar to what happens to me sometimes during cardio and yoga. I believe it's psychological/spiritual. As my body tires and/or relaxes, my inhibitions lower and unexpressed feelings will begin to rise.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me on a regular basis during the stretching portion after a good workout. I believe it was part of releasing the tension.

It hasn't happened for a long time, though.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This happens to me regularly.
  • fitjulz40in12
    fitjulz40in12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal. When you exercise, you release a lot of hormones and endorphins. These can lead to fluid release in your body. Especially after a long and wonderful workout.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yes i've bawled like a baby aftr yoga duriing relaxation- often not 'crying' but just tears running down my face. usually when i've been bearing up under a great deal of pressure. I think it is a really healthy thing. we hold a lot of tension in our bodies without realizing it- you release the tension, you release some of the pressure/anxiety.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this happens to me in spin class, when I've been working very, very hard. I've always associated it with endorphins, although I could be completely wrong. And it feels like joyful tears, not sad ones. I actually really love it when I hit this moment, it feels really good to me.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to release pent up emotions that way; your body stores memories and exercise releases them. A very good thing, just a bit disconcerting. I've had it happen during a massage too.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options

Some folks might find this to be mumbo jumbo (and that's cool) but we hold a lot of emotional tension in our muscles. When you let it go sometimes you trigger other physiological responses like crying. I've definitely felt emotional after yoga a time or two.

I feel a few emotions watching girls do yoga.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I feel a few emotions watching girls do yoga.

chimps will do that hahhaha
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me before during yoga, less often while doing cardio, but not unheard of! When it does happen, it's usually when I'm trying to "work off" some extra stressful event. Based on how I usually feel afterwards, I think it's a good sign.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me at the end of yoga when we are doing the ending Sivasana, and tears will flow (but I stop before we are done, so no one knows). But, it only happens when I am dealing with emotional stuff, and yoga is a time when I get to slow down and take a break from my family and have a moment to be fully present with what is going on for me (instead of needing to be all pulled together as the mom for my kids). It is good to let this happen because it prevents me from blowing up if the emotions stay all tightly bottled up inside. It's a healthy way to release important emotions and then I can go about the rest of my day in a good space.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    That actually just happened to me when I got home from my run a few minutes ago. I thought I was the only one... :P
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness, so glad I found this. Happened to me this morning in body balance, at the end during relaxation. So glad I'm not the only one! It was very weird!