Going to bed hungry

Options
Does any one do this. Should I be hungry at bedtime, or am I not eating enough?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No, I never go to bed hungry.

I wake up hungry, but if I'm hungry before I go to bed, then I won't sleep as well.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I can't sleep when I am hungry so always keep some calories for the evening and have supper about 9pm.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry. I typically go to bed pretty full, sometimes even uncomfortably full but it helps me sleep.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I don't go to bed hungry. I'd rather delay eating for a few hours in the morning, and have a larger meal for my last meal.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't usually feel hungry when I'm ready for bed, but I do try to have my last meal several hours before I start winding down. I'm not naturally a breakfast person, but I feel like a nice big breakfast helps me have a better day, so an early dinner is key for me. Also, I personally find that if I snack too close to bedtime, I end up with heartburn, which I can't stand. I'm what you might call a troubled sleeper, so I really have to give myself every chance I can for a good night.
    Best of luck to you!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry, it distracts me from a good night's sleep.
  • mdigiac
    Options
    i was at 1300 cal, but since reading road map I have upped it to 1650. Usually I was eating between 1100-1250. Too low isn't it?
  • flab_fab13
    Options
    at least one other person asked but i will again how many calories per day are you eating?? ......and how much water are you drinking during the day? for me on days when i dont drink as much water as i should, i find myself hungry even though i've just eaten a couple hours before. not sure whether it's in your area but look for full bar protein shakes or the slim fast low carb shakes. they've got some kind of compound in there that helps you feel fuller longer and have less sugar than others i've seen on the shelves.
  • mdigiac
    Options
    Want to avoid frankenfoods. Any clean suggestions? Thanks for all the responses and advice.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mb4p56YgHZ1rfja63o1_500.gif

I never go to bed hungry! If I am legitimately hungry near bedtime, I eat something, even if it puts me over for the day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i was at 1300 cal, but since reading road map I have upped it to 1650. Usually I was eating between 1100-1250. Too low isn't it?

I usually eat around 1200, but never go to bed hungry. If you were going to bed hungry on that, it might be one of the instances where I'd agree that you were probaly eating too little or eating too many hours before going to sleep.

I can't sleep if I'm hungry at bed time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Want to avoid frankenfoods. Any clean suggestions? Thanks for all the responses and advice.
    My go-to nighttime snacks are sliced apple with peanut butter, dark chocolate with peanut butter, an orange, or a good old bowl of cereal.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep if I go to bed hungry. Last night I tried and ended up getting up and eating a handful of almonds. Then I was fine, sleep great.
  • jcarter2569
    jcarter2569 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Oops. Sorry
  • jcarter2569
    jcarter2569 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Best thing to keep you full, but still healthy:
    Green smoothie
    Kale (remove stems)
    Blueberries
    Green apple
    Half a banana
    One cup water
    Ice (or frozen strawberries, yum)
    Avocado, if you have enough fat calories left in the day
    Flax seed or chia seed, ground
    Almond milk

Play with the ingredients, but most of these ingredients are low calorie (except avocado, which is filling)
    For those who need it a bit sweet, add some Truvia (stevia sweetener)-no artificial or sugar sweeteners though, cause you don't want too much glucose to release in your bloodstream (triggering you to store fat) in the evening.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    I go to bed hungry most of the time.. cause i hate feeling full while sleeping. its hurts. whatever feels better for you
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat something within an hour of goign to bed. Cereal, peanut butter, protein bar/shake, cookies...I save calories for that because I know I will need it (but I don't typically eat until around noon or 1pm each day).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

I have eaten between 2100 and 3000 daily calories during the past 18ish months, and even at those levels, I still occasionally go to bed feeling a little hungry.

If it is happening to you frequently, though, you should reconsider if you are at an appropriate calorie level. If so, then review your food diary on days you are hungry at the end of the day and look for a pattern. You may find that there is a correlation between insufficient protein or fats and feeling hungry, for example.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I do all the time. when i finish my calories for the day... i shut it all down. If i find i get hungry at bedtime.. I can wait until the morning to eat and start the next day. I feel more in control when i can be hungry and realize i won't die. That it is part of mastering the skinny mentality. Skinny people eat when they get hungry..and they could be hungry for a few hours and don't freak.