immediate gratification

Options
I started on Jan 1, 2013, so it has been 1 mos. I am doing well (lost 12.5 lbs)and I know it takes time, but I still can 't help wishing that when I get on the scale I will see 30lbs gone. Crazy, I know. I have a whole wardrobe of clothing waiting for me to wear. I feel a rush to get to One-derland (in the 100's).

I know realistically I will be there by spring, I just want to hurry it up.

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• mdigiac
    Options
    bump
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Noticing tons of little NSVs helped me when I felt impatient. Like the day I could squat all the way down. Crossing my legs. Losing my double chin. Being able to see my biceps. Tightening my belt by another notch. Things like that helped me think less about the number on the scale that wasn't moving fast enough.
  • mdigiac
    Options
    Hmmm
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: If you could wake up tomorrow 30lbs lighter, would you have learned anything? Probably not. I'm more focused on losing fat and gaining muscle right now, so day to day, there's not much change. It's a long game. But I'm building good habits. Every time I make myself go to the gym after class, even though I'm tired and just want to go home and flop on the couch, I'm making good habits for the future. When I track every bite of food and watch my macros, I'm making good habits. If I had just automatically woken up with my dream body, I'd have no idea how to maintain it.

For more short term reward, I do what someone else on here mentioned: I "pay" myself a dollar for each work out (I track my workouts on a whiteboard). When that number reaches $50, I'll buy something for myself I really want but wouldn't normally splurge on. It's a small enough amount that it won't ruin my poor college student budget, but enough to get something nice.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at your avatar, so maybe that explains this topic. LOL

99% of the folks here would be ECSTATIC to lose 12.5 lbs in one month. Seriously. Any faster, and you are risking your health.

The recommended safe rate of weight loss is 0.5 to 2 lbs per week. You are already way over that!!!

Hang in there, and stay calm. I'm sure you will be very successful.
  • mdigiac
    Options
    Thanks everyone.