Vegetarian?

Options
Are there any other vegetarians out there who are also looking to lose?
What do you eat to get some protein?

Replies

• zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based diet, but I'm not a vegetarian. Beans, nuts, seeds, avocados, spirulina, nutritional yeast, and tofu are some vegetarian sources of protein I eat.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm vegan and I use a lot of protein powder. I make pancakes with protein powder and milled flax seeds or I'll use 1/4 cup of oats and a couple servings of protein powder with cinnamon and splenda for oatmeal.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian mostly (I do eat milk products, and eggs). I mostly get my protein intake (which I'm under the impression is supposed to be a lot because I'm trying to weight lift...so I try to keep it above 30% of total calories) from protein shakes.
  • VegKellyRN
    VegKellyRN Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian (not vegan only because I have egg whites in the morning and for a nice snack). I love baked tofu, veggie burgers, quinoa (lots of ways to prepare that), beans, etc etc. Usually my lunch consists of some sort of tofu or veggie burger with a complex carb and lots of veggies. Snacks are protein shake with fruit or veggies with hummus...sometime like that. Dinner gets more complicated with more complex meals with beans, seeds, quinoa, grains, tofu.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I use protein powder too. I also eat meat alternatives from time to time (Morningstar products, tofu, seitan). I never seem to have a problem getting enough protein.
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I use a lot of protein powder. I make pancakes with protein powder and milled flax seeds or I'll use 1/4 cup of oats and a couple servings of protein powder with cinnamon and splenda for oatmeal.

A very good idea :) thanku
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Soy products, beans, nuts and plain fat free greek yogurt.:smile:
  • beckwithemily
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I use protein powder too. I also eat meat alternatives from time to time (Morningstar products, tofu, seitan). I never seem to have a problem getting enough protein.
    I love Morningstar products, but sometimes I get bored with them. They do allow me to have the same meals as my family though.
  • beckwithemily
    Options
    Soy products, beans, nuts and plain fat free greek yogurt.:smile:
    Just started exploring Greek yogurt, and I'm enjoying it! :love:
  • syrhius
    syrhius Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are actually a lot of "meat replacement" products that do pretty well in the protein category. Boca makes some good vegan "burger" patties - 70 calories per patty and 13 grams of protein. Also, if you eat dairy, I've seen nonfat greek yogurt have up to 23 grams of protein per cup and as low as 120 calories.
  • avalentineb
    avalentineb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Im vegan and on an average day eat around 70 grams of protien from protien powder, tofu, beans, grains, and meat alternative products. Protien in the easy part I think, its the iron and amino acid that you need to have also that people forget about. I use maca powder and take an iron pill to get what I need while being vegan.

Good luck, with a little research and understanding this will be easy for you!
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!!!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat ALOT of beans, quinoa, chia seeds, try to eat alot of greens as well.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    lol I forgot my protein shakes, and a recovery protein beverage after a workout!
  • SierraLizS
    Options
    I like nutritional shakes for that. They make low-sugar versions, too. They have store brand ones that have the same ingredients if you're on a budget. I usually have them for a quick breakfast. There are also a lot of tasty vegan protein bars out there.
  • ThatClassyChassis
    Options
    I eat a lot of egg white, oatmeal, and fruit. I'm trying to cut off a lot of processed foods as well. My suggestion is to eat more protein, and less unhealthy carbohydrates. Drink plenty of water and get adequate sleep along with working out and the unwanted fat will come off :)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian.
    I eat fish, eggs, hemp protein powder, and beans/lentils.

My diary is open to friends.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BEANS! & fake chicken nuggets (I'm addicted). Also a lot of cereals have protein now, combine that with some soy milk and you're set!

I'm a member of the group Happy Herbivores on here, you should join it. There's always someone asking about protein on there, plus good recipes and general veggie chat.
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie too
    my favourite protein rich recipe is quorn pate:
    slowly cook a leek, add quorn pieces and a little stock, simmer until stock is absorbed and leave to cool
    once cool, blend with low fat cream cheese, put in individual dishes and in to the fridge for an hour or so
    really good in a lettuce leaf wrap with a squeeze of lemon, or on toast
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie too
    my favourite protein rich recipe is quorn pate:
    slowly cook a leek, add quorn pieces and a little stock, simmer until stock is absorbed and leave to cool
    once cool, blend with low fat cream cheese, put in individual dishes and in to the fridge for an hour or so
    really good in a lettuce leaf wrap with a squeeze of lemon, or on toast

love this. sadly the cooking would just add more responsibility to my over-burdened shoulders (belly? lol).....and more importantly, I would be unsure what I was eating exactly stats wise...but sounds like a great option once I'm no longer counting calories!! :)