A question to the men

Options
This is a question about my hubbys journey to a healthier him, He isn't posting for himself because he joined this site and hated logging everything but he has continued to be careful, by looking at my cals for the day and adjusting the rest of his food around what we eat as a family meal he has lost 1 stone (14lbs)

Ill give you a little background ...

his stats
Height is 5' 9"
Weight 180-185lbs
45 years old
muscular build
He started off eating 1200 cals and was miserable on it, I talked him up to 1600-1800 and he was happier and lost the weight (14lbs)

His upper body and legs are extremely muscular and the "proper" shape if you looked at them separate from his belly you would never think he was over weight

Now to the issue ... its his "belly shape"
The problem area is his belly its round and SOLID .. almost like the muscle has formed over the top of the fat he can tense his belly so hard that you can't pinch any fat on it at all ...

waist measurement is 34" (where his trousers sit) but he is 38" around the belly button.

The question is, can this be sorted by continued diet or would it have to be exercise ... he was recommended (not by an expert) not to do core exercises as he has to remove the fat from under the muscle ... but diet alone just isn't working hes been trying for over a year now, any and all help/advice would be appreciated

Replies

• SlimSammy2012
    Options
    I do believe that fat can develop under the muscle. He should ask a trainer for sure. I would expect like loosing fat anywhere is the same but exercise whould do it rather than dieting more. I am not sure but those are my thoughts.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sammy, he thinks he may need concentrated exercise but unsure where to start, especially since being told that working on the core could be a bad move :(
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yeah - you can get fat under your muscles in the abdomen - it's called visceral fat.

It's supposed to be more dangerous than fat on the outside (subcutaneous fat).

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it.htm
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's the Captain Kirk look. A good friend of mine has a similar problem. Ok it's me. Belly fat wherever it resides is the toughest but most important to lose health-wise. My strategy is regular strenuous aerobic workouts while keeping a healthy diet and it has helped a lot, though it has taken a while. I don't believe focusing on core exercises will help significantly. And beer is a problem, sorry to say--they don't call it beer belly for nothin'!
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Thanks guys, Ill have a read at that link :) looks informative

beer ugg ... he loves his beer lol but still stays in cals for the day
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    That's a really low calorie plan for a man. Maybe he didn't have as much luck because in the end he really wasn't eating all that much. Just a thought. (And wow, to even think he tried 1200 cals a day - that's crazy talk!)

Also, you know what they say - abs are made in the kitchen. Not saying he can't have his beer but that is probably not helping him (even if he is within his calories). Some people find they don't see those abs until they eat a bit cleaner. Every body is different, however, and some can eat all the junk in the world and maintain a six pack. My hubs packs it on around the belleh when he drinks - but when he stops for awhile, it comes off.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    his not looking for abs (well not yet anyway) hes really only looking to lose the fat from under the muscle ... his diet is fine also mostly "clean" foods, this isn't only for a diet, he has always eaten mostly clean.

according to loads of online calculators he has only 7lbs to lose, a real subborn 7lbs

hes just read this and said thanks he will give up the beer and see if that makes the change needed

any more ideas appreciated :)
  • pbrant_13
    Options
    Read that article Judd had a link to. Very informative.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it does seem rather common among the beer drinkers.
    As another poster says, visceral fat does indeed exist, along with it's health issues.

It is pretty low calorie, especially regarding the description of him.

Yes he should be exercising. Everybody should be exercising. His intake will need to be adjusted accordingly.
    Localised, targeted fat loss is a myth. A myth.

With the last 7lbs to go, I think setting some exercise goals (small, achievable, measurable and specific) would be a good approach. Hopefully something he'll even enjoy.

The person that's not an expert, might possibly have been talking about localised fat burning not working and overall weight loss being required.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    More calories. With only 7 lbs to lose, he should be eating very close to his TDEE, perhaps 250-300 under.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    taking all of this on board, thanks for the replys :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Yeah - you can get fat under your muscles in the abdomen - it's called visceral fat.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it.htm

^ this.

that's the sort of fat that leads to health problems like diabetes.

a lot of people refer to what you're describing as "beer belly"
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    JUDDDing wrote:

Thanks for that article. It's rare on MFP that people post any links to credible sources to back up what they say.
    Kudos.