Where do you measure your waist and hips at?

Options
Waist: Is it at your belly button, just below your ribs, the most narrow part of your midsection????
Hips: at the top of the hipbone, bottom of the hipbone, fattiest part - like right around your lover handles?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to be consistent, as far as weight loss tracking goes. Personally I measure my waist at the smallest point, and my hips at the widest point.
  • lamarnnem
    lamarnnem Posts: 189
    Options
    ^^^good. I measure around hips and waist around naval. Which gets my love handles. I measure SAME SPOT every two weeks.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't measure when I started to focus on getting healthier again.....and I'm starting some weight training and sticking to consistent cardio at least 3 times per week......I wanted to measure today so I can track my results. Thanks!
  • camillevernon014
    Options
    Do you measure the hips, waist, etc. with a measuring tape? And which units?

Thank you!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I measure at my belly button, and for hips, I make sure I get my butt. If I did the smallest part of my waist and then my hips, I'd miss the biggest part of me (my belly)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to be consistent, as far as weight loss tracking goes. Personally I measure my waist at the smallest point, and my hips at the widest point.

this
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    For my hips, I measure the very largest point. My waist is right about at my belly button. The main thing that matters for me is consistancy, so I actually mark myself on my thigh and waist with a perm-marker every couple of days so that I always get the same spot. That may be over the top for most people, but it works for me! :P
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    Waist smallest part hips largest
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this measurement thing, too. I finally settled on measuring my waist (smallest area); my abdomen (belly button area, which can be tricky to keep the measuring tape in place), upper hips (at hip bones and over tummy roll) lower hips (under tummy roll).

Sorry if this TMI ... but when you're old and your body starts to get creases and crevices that it never had before, you have to be creative. :-)
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist (the smallest point), belly and hips (the widest point).
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ! measure my hips just below my belly button which is the largest part for me . I read somewhere to bend sideways and measure your waist where the crease is so that's what I do
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is from a sewing blog that I read sometimes. According to her, your natural waist is the place on your torso where you are the smallest. Which for me right now would be right under my boobs! LOL
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Most clothing catalogs have you measure your waist at the smallest area between your breasts and belly button. Where 'mom jeans' used to go. lol Your hips are to be measured at the biggest part of your butt cheeks.
    I measure in several different spots just so I know I'm making progress, even if the scale doesn't show a loss.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    I measure my waist at my belly button, which is where my pants go, even though it's not the biggest part of my belly, and I measure my hips at the widest part, just below my butt (which is regrettably flat).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    For my hips, I measure the very largest point. My waist is right about at my belly button. The main thing that matters for me is consistancy, so I actually mark myself on my thigh and waist with a perm-marker every couple of days so that I always get the same spot. That may be over the top for most people, but it works for me! :P

Ha ha. You could get it tattooed!

Also, you can take a picture of yourself measuring, to use as a reference - if you don't have a Sharpie handy.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I measure at my belly button, and for hips, I make sure I get my butt. If I did the smallest part of my waist and then my hips, I'd miss the biggest part of me (my belly)

same here, at belly button. measuring at the smallest part of my waist & at my hips only does not help me. those measurements seem to stay the same, it is right smack between them that i am still working on
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist (the smallest point), belly and hips (the widest point).

^^ This is correct.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist at the smallest point, for me that is not on my rib cage and is at or slightly above my belly button. I measure my hips at the largest part.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist at the smallest point, my waist at the belly button, hips at hip bones and glutes around the fullest part of my rear end.