Any emotional eaters?? How do you fight it?

One of biggest problems is that I am an emotional eater. I eat way too much when I'm happy, I eat and drink lots of soda when I'm mad, and I could eat an entire buffet when I'm sad. I am the queen of calorie packed pity parties.I started this comfort food thing while I was pregnant. Unfortunately bad habits are extremely hard to break. Its so bad most times that I don't realize that I am doing it until half the food is gone or either I am feeling sick to my stomach. Sometimes I can fight the urge but I usually give in by the end of the day, right before bedtime. What do you do to fight off emotional eating binges?

Replies

• tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    oH YEAH. I'm an emotional eater, too! Rich, carb heavy foods when I'm sad, Chocolate and Salty foods when I'm mad or stressed out. Lots of junk food when I'm depressed. Oh and spicy, flavorful foods when I'm in a good mood!

I've been drinking LOTS of water to ward off cravings and I hit the treadmill to expend some of my frustrations, also. Prayer, for me, does wonders, too! I've done fairly well with it all!

Late at night is hard for me, too...but since that's when I'm finishing my food diary here, I do NOT want to have to track crap...so I don't eat it!
  • ginnerll
    ginnerll Posts: 10 Member
    I too am an emotional eater, I'm not even hungry I have cravings just snack. My usual food of choice late at night are chips and pop. Awful!! I can do awesome all day then I break down and eat those stupid chips. Beat myself up about it then keep eating the fricken bag. What I've been doing the last couple of weeks is not buying any of that to be in the house. I live 20 mins away from the closest store, so that really helps me. I've also joined a roller derby team too just recently. Maybe some accountability will help me stay on track and the exercise can't hurt :)
  • Thanks! Those are some really good tips that I will try to start using. I should start looking at my calorie log when I get snacky at night. I should also clean out my freezer. I stopped buying bad foods earlier this week when I decided to get serious but last night I found some frozen Tyson wings that I cooked up because I was sad. This is really going to take some discipline and time. Oh yes and prayer seems to get me through a lot, I might as well try it for this too :happy:
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    the three who posted above. do you want to start a private group here on MFP where we each post a daily challenge for the four of us and then post whether or not we have accomplished the challenges. it would be an accountability thing if you excel on challenges. we could also say what our % of weight loss is (no need to post number of pounds). and it would be good to post the challenge the day before so we can prepare. pls msg me or comment below if you're up for it and i'll start a group. could not agree more about prayer as well !!!
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    I was never really an emotional eater...more of just when I was bored. Now that I am eating less and having more nutritional foods, I find that I "need" food when I am upset.

One of my go-to's is a 90 calorie Special K Chocolatey Pretzel bar. I cut it lengthwise in half and then cut the strips into 5 or so pieces each. It makes a nice small bowl of a chocolate snack that I concentrate on eating slower and appreciating each bite before moving to the next. It has made it guilt free to have that pick-me-up snack.

Perfect salty and sweet taste, and best of all, chocolate just makes me feel better.

However crazy it may sound, it also helps to calm me when I think about each bite and eat them slower.
  • jak12345
    jak12345 Posts: 12 Member
    I have over time developed into an emotional eater, especially when I'm upset. Regular exercise has really helped me cope with stress, but I can't always do it, so I've tried to change my response to stress. I try to focus on upbeat things -- good music, good news and others success. I try to stay away from the negative side of the world, especially the internet, e.g. politics, bad news, and sites with trolls, which tends to magnify the anxiety/frustration. I've stopped buying chips and have fruit available all the time for when all else fails -- hard to consume too many calories from fruit. Try to avoid buying prepared food -- too easy to plop in a frozen pizza in the oven versus taking the time to make one from scratch.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    The only way I was able to stop emotional eating was logging. I saw a counselor who told me to stop logging "what I eat" and start logging "why I eat." Oh, boy this was hard! I didn't want to stop the what because I was afraid I would totally sabotage my efforts, but you know what - IT DIDN'T I started losing more.
    Here is what she had me do...
    Focus on how you feel emotionally and physically when you go to eat. Keep a journal (physical) in the kitchen, car, desk at work, etc. all the places you eat - or carry it around (that's what I did).
    When you go to eat, rank your hunger 1-5. 1 means I am full and content ... don't need to eat, I just ate
    5 means My stomach is growling, has been for 10 min. or longer, I am light headed, weak (physical signs of hunger are strong)
    Just doing this helps you identify if it is a physical or emotional hunger.
    Then log the emotion you are feeling. Anger, frustration, stress, happiness, etc. And what foods you crave (you clearly already know this)
    You do this before you eat!! Once you have it logged you then decide is it time to eat? If your physical hunger is at a 3-5 then yes! 3 means it is usually time for a snack. 4-5 time for a meal. (This cycle usually happens in the body every 2-3 hours) and then eat if it is a 1-2 or you ate about 45min ago...drink a big glass of water, and then wait until the 2 hour mark where your hunger will be at a 4 or 5.
    What she said this does is re-trains the brain to want food on physical cues not emotional ones.
    If you are wanting to eat emotionally, in your journal log why you are feeling that way and come up with something else to do to distract yourself. Go for a walk, talk to someone about what happened, listen to music, get on the computer....distract yourself from the emotion until it is time to eat physically.
    Hope this helps!
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    The only way I was able to stop emotional eating was logging. I saw a counselor who told me to stop logging "what I eat" and start logging "why I eat." Oh, boy this was hard! I didn't want to stop the what because I was afraid I would totally sabotage my efforts, but you know what - IT DIDN'T I started losing more.
    Focus on how you feel emotionally and physically when you go to eat. Keep a journal (physical) in the kitchen, car, desk at work, etc. all the places you eat - or carry it around (that's what I did).
    When you go to eat, rank your hunger 1-5. 1 means I am full and content ... don't need to eat, I just ate
    5 means My stomach is growling, has been for 10 min. or longer, I am light headed, weak (physical signs of hunger are strong)
    Then log the emotion you are feeling. Anger, frustration, stress, happiness, etc. And what foods you crave (you clearly already know this)
    You do this before you eat!! Once you have it logged you then decide is it time to eat? If your physical hunger is at a 3-5 then yes! 3 means it is usually time for a snack. 4-5 time for a meal. (This cycle usually happens in the body every 2-3 hours) and then eat if it is a 1-2 or you ate about 45min ago...drink a big glass of water, and then wait until the 2 hour mark where your hunger will be at a 4 or 5.
    What she said this does is re-trains the brain to want food on physical cues not emotional ones.
    If you are wanting to eat emotionally, in your journal log why you are feeling that way and come up with something else to do to distract yourself. Go for a walk, talk to someone about what happened, listen to music, get on the computer....distract yourself from the emotion until it is time to eat physically.
    Hope this helps!

awesome strategy - just had to copy it. :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Honestly?

Thinking and planning. Engaging my brain, setting goals and moving into action instead of letting my feelings telling me how it's going to be.

Feelings are mostly just indicators. As important as they are, they should NEVER be allowed to run the show.

If I'm not using my feelings when I drive a car, why would I think it's ok to use them when deciding on what to put in my body to sustain and fuel myself with? I'm learning to put my feelings in their proper place and don't let them control my life. I am MUCH more than my feelings. I also have thoughts and a will and the power to make smart decisions regardless of how I feel. I have desires and purpose and drive.

Besides, a lot of what calls itself "feelings" is really just ego. That sense of entitlement we have when we did something that was difficult and now we want to reward ourselves. Well, then, don't reward yourself with a box of cookies. Buy a nice t-shirt instead or go see a movie. Call a friend and go out. Use something NOT food-related to reward yourself, otherwise your ego will just continue to expect food-related rewards for every little accomplishment, and that box of cookies will continue to hold the power you gave to it to begin with.

Hope any of that helps you. It sure is helping me.
  • I was never really an emotional eater...more of just when I was bored. Now that I am eating less and having more nutritional foods, I find that I "need" food when I am upset.

One of my go-to's is a 90 calorie Special K Chocolatey Pretzel bar. I cut it lengthwise in half and then cut the strips into 5 or so pieces each. It makes a nice small bowl of a chocolate snack that I concentrate on eating slower and appreciating each bite before moving to the next. It has made it guilt free to have that pick-me-up snack.

Perfect salty and sweet taste, and best of all, chocolate just makes me feel better.

However crazy it may sound, it also helps to calm me when I think about each bite and eat them slower.

I will be using this. I often turn to Reese Peanut butter cups but they are a killer 200 calories for 2 and they are gone in 3 bite lol. I will definitely be grocery shopping soon to get those. Thanks for your advice!
  • I have over time developed into an emotional eater, especially when I'm upset. Regular exercise has really helped me cope with stress, but I can't always do it, so I've tried to change my response to stress. I try to focus on upbeat things -- good music, good news and others success. I try to stay away from the negative side of the world, especially the internet, e.g. politics, bad news, and sites with trolls, which tends to magnify the anxiety/frustration. I've stopped buying chips and have fruit available all the time for when all else fails -- hard to consume too many calories from fruit. Try to avoid buying prepared food -- too easy to plop in a frozen pizza in the oven versus taking the time to make one from scratch.

I recently gave up my facebook and twitter. They both have too much drama and are crawling with my exes lol. Which I then emotionally eat when I see how happy they still are without me. But since I've been off of those I find myself with less depressing emotions so that's a plus! I think from reading your post I will cut back on some other things. Thanks!
  • The only way I was able to stop emotional eating was logging. I saw a counselor who told me to stop logging "what I eat" and start logging "why I eat." Oh, boy this was hard! I didn't want to stop the what because I was afraid I would totally sabotage my efforts, but you know what - IT DIDN'T I started losing more.
    Hope this helps!

Amazing! I would have never thought of this!! It makes perfect since reading it though. I MUST try this...I feel like I need this in my life. I am starting this today. Thanks for this advice!
  • Honestly?

Thinking and planning. Engaging my brain, setting goals and moving into action instead of letting my feelings telling me how it's going to be.

Feelings are mostly just indicators. As important as they are, they should NEVER be allowed to run the show.

If I'm not using my feelings when I drive a car, why would I think it's ok to use them when deciding on what to put in my body to sustain and fuel myself with? I'm learning to put my feelings in their proper place and don't let them control my life. I am MUCH more than my feelings. I also have thoughts and a will and the power to make smart decisions regardless of how I feel. I have desires and purpose and drive.

Besides, a lot of what calls itself "feelings" is really just ego. That sense of entitlement we have when we did something that was difficult and now we want to reward ourselves. Well, then, don't reward yourself with a box of cookies. Buy a nice t-shirt instead or go see a movie. Call a friend and go out. Use something NOT food-related to reward yourself, otherwise your ego will just continue to expect food-related rewards for every little accomplishment, and that box of cookies will continue to hold the power you gave to it to begin with.

Hope any of that helps you. It sure is helping me.

I agree, since I was pregnant I let my feelings take total control of my entire life. They literally have and I have never gotten control again. And I definitely need to change that, especially my reward system. I go straight for something forbidden. Food is not the answer, there are so many more rewards that are much better than food. I mean the taste of my favorite fatty food is only going to last for a few minutes but the calories will cause set backs and more negative emotions. Thanks!
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    I started Stress/Emotional binge eating when I was pregnant. Comfort food. What helps me is getting rid of all snacks in the house that I like. After time I was able to add snacks back in with the Self control to say no!

I drink Lots and Lots of water. It's hard, very very hard habit to break I know! But, when I get a snack craving, I go and grab a HUGE glass of water, and drink it ALL over a period of say 10minutes, to give it time to fill my tummy.

If I'm still mentally hungry after that I check the TIME! Is is Lunch time!? Is it Dinner Time?! I lose track of time all the time. Time, time time. Anyway. LoL! If it's not TIME to eat and I can't fight the urge off mentally. I'll grab a cookie or low cal snack and eat it bit by bit. Make it last WAY longer than it should. And usually by the TIME all this passes, so does my Emotional Breakdown & my Urge to Eat!

Hope this helps!
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    I love the logging idea. I need to do something. These emotions are killing my ability to stay on track as of late.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Good old-fashioned "won't" power. I refuse! When I find myself in the kitchen reaching into the cabinets or refrigerator when it's not meal time, I throw a mental noose around my own neck and drag myself out of there, kicking and screaming in protest. It gets easier. I've pretty much broken the habit, although I get breakthrough from time to time when the rest of my life is too stressful.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    here are a few things that help me:

--keeping a journal of feelings, especially when food cravings strike

--refraining from eating sugar and refined junk (having that in my system triggers craving and binging)

--going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings (a 12 step group like AA, but for us eaters rather than drinkers). :)
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    I am an emotional eater big time. Ways I have found to fight it are:
    - find out the emotional reason to why I'm eating and work on that
    - stay busy, find new things to learn (like a new language/musical instrument, etc)
    - planning meals
    - retraining my mind to understand food is not medication, does not make me feel better in the long run when I binge, its just a temporary satisfaction, a bandaid per say, followed by extreme guilt
    - also retraining to find healthier ways to cope with a negative emotion. Such as going for a walk, playing guitar, organizing my closet or drawers, cleaning, meeting up with friends for coffee, playing with cute babies haha.

I found the best thing was to go see someone to talk about my underlying issues, once that was dug out and on the mend, everything else just followed along. Healthy eating, weight loss, urge to exercise and be fit, direction in life...

Good luck :)