Not enough calories and what about protein

Options
Today I ended up with only around 700 calories but I am not hungry. What do you all do on these kind of days to up your calories? Also I was looking at how much protein I am supposed to be getting and I am not even close!! Should I add a protein shake or something else to get protein? Eggs and some Fish bother me and other then chicken or turkey I am not much of a meat eater. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Show us your diary for better feedback. It's too hard to say without knowing what you've eaten all day, but 700 calories is wayyy too low. If it's because you're consuming a lot of packaged low-calorie meals, you're probably not getting the right nutrients and could be consuming too much salt. If you look at your full report, you can see which nutrients you are short on and which you've gone over and try to regulate.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Good protein sources other than what you've mentioned:

Cheese sticks
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt
    Shrimp (if it's just fish fillets that bug you)
    Soy milk

Okay ones:
    Nuts
    Beans

I do have a protein shake every day for breakfast. I often end the evening with a protein hot chocolate as well. (I get them through Nashua Nutrition.) Sometimes I eat protein bars but they tend to be high in carbs and the ones that aren't are high in sugar alcohols (which give me gas).
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    I haven't been entering in all my daily foods. I get so frustrated while doing it. I am still trying to figure it al out. However I do write down everything I eat and drink through out the day.

Today I had a smothie for breakfast
    fresh strawberries
    Half frozen banana
    xango juice
    flax seed

Lunch
    whole wheat sandwich
    1 slice of cheese
    turkey

supper
    same as lunch
    special k crackers
    salad
    red wine vinegar
  • lovmykids
    Options
    Do you have a brand of protein shakes that you like?
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    If you live near a Costco they have a protein shake there called premier protein shake. It has 30 grams of protein, it's lowfat and only has 170 calories. I have one of these first thing in the morning, it helps me get my protein in.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like Ensure when I'm not hungry. Natural Edge Whey Protein is really good too. If you like cereal for breakfast, check out Kashi. They have one that has 13g protein per cup. Their granola bars are pretty good on protein as well. Larabars are a great all natural snack.
    It's very important to get 1200 cals minimum.
  • lovmykids
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This is the first ever diet I have did right. Usually I just crash diet or whatever fad diet so I am really trying to just be healthy with it this time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do right now is label read like they are the most fascinating novels in the universe and focus on getting 1200 QUALITY calories in to your diet, daily. With a little exercise after that, you'll be flying along!

My diary is public if you ever want ideas, as I struggle with getting enough protein as well. Always trying to find new & tasty things to supplement that problem area with :)
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    EAS protein has 23 grams and (I think) only 1 gram of sugar. You can get that at Costco too. Think Thin protein bars have 20 grams protein and NO SUGAR!!! yay, they are good :) Good protein shake EAS Vanilla (1 scoop), 1tbs pure cocoa, 1/2 banana, 1 tbs all natural peanut butter. You need more calories to burn fat or you will lose muscle. Can you eat egg whites? I don't eat whole eggs the yolk bothers me but egg whites I eat every day with fresh spinach. Old fashion oat meal with Flax is a good morning/brunch meal. Whole wheat tortilla (La Tortilla Factory makes really good protein packed ones) with black beans and reduced fat cheese is another good mid day snack.