Working out after deep tissue massage?

Options
Any thoughts about working out after a deep tissue massage? After the massage, I felt like somebody had beat the crap outta me, so I was wondering if a workout might be contraindicated.

It's too late for this time - I already worked out, but now I'm wondering for the next time.

Replies

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was advised not to work out after the massage (ie, on the same day). The point of the massage is to break down the tissues to allow them to re-heal Working out on broken down tissues will not benefit you and you may reduce the positive effects of the massage...
  • sironae
    Options
    What she said. ^^
    I'm a licensed massage therapist, and I tend to agree... best, in general, to give the muscles a chance to integrate the "information" received from the DT work at least until the next day.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh wow... I actually didn't know this. Glad someone asked though because I need to start getting massages (most likely deep tissue) on some sort of a regular basis.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I did wait a day, so I'm glad to learn I probably didn't screw anything up.