Vacation - Help!

Options
Tomorrow I leave for a 12 day vacation including a 7 day cruise......I am not taking my pc so, any suggestions as how I can keep focused and on track? I hate to gain back the 5 pounds that I have lost...:(

Replies

• HulaCherry
    HulaCherry Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm sure you've already made major changes in your life and know the right and wrong things to eat. Remember that you should never be dieting, but making lifestyle changes.

The biggest trap you can fall in on the cruise is the pressure to eat. When I was on my cruise sometimes I would only have an appetizer and salad for dinner. The waiter would always pressure me to get more, but I passed. There are a lot of temptations on cruises, but don't completely deny yourself, do everything in moderation.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN! You're going on a cruise for goodness sake! ;-)
  • sean_m
    sean_m Posts: 13
    Options
    Certainly the one thing I've found piles on the calories is bread, it's really the only change I've made to my diet is to cut out (or drastically cut down) on my bread intake. It's so easy to add a bread roll to a salad or bread with soup and that will effectively undo any good you've already achieved. Other than that, enjoy the cruise and relax.
  • cestest
    cestest Posts: 1
    Options
    Just keep me in mind Mamma J and that I will physically beat you when you get back if you have that weight back on... lol... you know I"m just kidding.... haha..... keep focused but most of all ENJOY!!! I have heard though that these cruises have LOT'S of FRUIT.... so just eat that stuff..... even though I also heard some of the Desserts are amazing..... just becareful... that's all!!! See you when you get back!!! You try and maintain and I'll try and let you see a change.... lol!!! Have FUN!!!!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    By using this site, you have learned many things about food, portion sizes, and caloires. I would bring a little pocket notebook and track the food that way. You may not be exact with your calories, but you should have a rough idea what you are eatting and can estimate the calories in each item. Write it down and add it up throughout the day.

And make sure you induldge a little bit on the cruise, have a drink or at least one piece of delicious dessert! :flowerforyou:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Walk every day. Good luck. I'm going on vacation for two weeks in July and I am worried about backsliding, but not going to let it ruin things. If I slip up, I will get right beack on it when I return. Plan to minimize the damage though.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I managed to go on a weeklong cruise and not really gain any weight (a few days of drinking lots of water when I got back had me back to where I started before I left). The trick is to stay active, so take a walk around the boat deck or when you stop on shore, pick some active excursions. We snorkled (exhausting!) and did a jungle hike and cave tubing. So much fun and it definitely counted as exercise. Also, for dinner I tried to avoid things covered in cream and butter. Appetizers I went for the soups, fruits, or salads. I didn't skip dessert, but it didn't hurt me in the end. Just don't snack outside meals unless you're actually hungry. And try to watch the alcohol. I stuck to one tropical drink every 2 days as a treat (they have 500 calories or more sometimes) and when I drank in the bars at night, I only had rum and diet cokes. Overall, I had a great time and didn't sabotage my progress. You can do it, have fun too!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy yourself! Don't worry too much about gaining while on vacation - chances are good that whatever you put on while your'e gone will fall off within a couple days of getting home & back to 'normal'. I gained 14lbs (:noway: ) on my weeklong cruise 2 weeks ago - I lost 12 of that in less than a week. Just have fun & pick back up where you left off when you get back. Just because you enjoy yourself on vacation doesn't mean you need to continue the eating frenzy once you get back! :drinker: :flowerforyou: Have a great vacation!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with a PP - the key on a cruise is to stay active! The last week-long cruise I took I actually lost weight even though I ate everything I wanted, but I stayed super-active - took the stairs instead of the elevator, walked around the decks, lots of dancing!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Despite being active, it can still creep up on you. Just watch your choices, have some but not all.

I worked out daily in the gym on my cruise burning 450 calories and still gained 8lbs in 10 days. An increase from 1200 calories a day (for 6 days a week) for the past 3 years to almost 5000 does in fact stick to ya (and I haven’t gained weight in 10+ years – reality and misery will hit you like a wall so don’t enjoy breakfast as much as I did.). I NEVER touched a single dessert either! It’s all from French toast breakfast, Caesar salads and some (but a fair amount) bread. I’m still trying to loose the remaining 6 lbs almost 1 year later – it’s a bummer so watch out!