The biggest guy in the room...

Options
Hello everyone.

I have always been the biggest guy in the room…. And I am tired of it. I know that even if I get down to my goal weight, I will still outweigh must men by double, but as long as I am healthy I will be happy.

I have had a lot of life changing events happen in the last couple of years and now I am ready to tackle my weight problem… before it kills me. I am not one of those people that just needs to lose a few pounds… I need to lose a lot more than that.

Currently I do not know my weight as they do not make scales big enough to measure me… at least not ones that can be afforded by most. So to track my goal, I will be going by clothing size.

Not sure how this site will help me, but it is nice to read about others going thru their own struggles and makes me realize that I am not alone in my battle.

So thank you for reading my post and good luck in your fight…

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Good luck, skykill99!
  • Cdaleerdman
    Cdaleerdman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm new too and usually outweigh everyone in the room, even though i am female. I had to get rid of a lot of personal baggage, some therapy a couple of years ago. I am now mentally ready to live healthy and strong.
  • brendae61
    Options
    Welcome Sky! I like you have alot of weight to lose not only a few lbs. I only joined MFP 2 weeks ago so am new to the sight also. In that two weeks though this site has helped me tremendously. It has helped me keep track of my meals, has alot of great support and the motivation you get from the people here is wonderful. YOU CAN DO THIS and like you said MUST do this before it kills you. Good luck on your journey, my friend and reach out if theres any way i be of help:smile:
  • Christine61314
    Christine61314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in this battle and even people with a little more or a little less to lose I feel that everyone has their own struggles. This site is fantastic to gain support and advice even if you just spend all your time reading sucess stories the people here are so inspiring! The app is good too if you have that type of phone? Tracking food really makes you realize what you are putting into your body...aslong as you track everything :P

I hope you stick around and are able to notice a difference in your weight, perhaps you could get a measuring tape to track even if you only do it once a month.

I wish you luck in becoming a healthier person :)
  • michelleclardy
    michelleclardy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck my friend!!!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know you can do this :) sent you a friend invte
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in this battle and even people with a little more or a little less to lose I feel that everyone has their own struggles. This site is fantastic to gain support and advice even if you just spend all your time reading sucess stories the people here are so inspiring! The app is good too if you have that type of phone? Tracking food really makes you realize what you are putting into your body...aslong as you track everything :P

I hope you stick around and are able to notice a difference in your weight, perhaps you could get a measuring tape to track even if you only do it once a month.

I wish you luck in becoming a healthier person :)

Exellent advice on the measuring tape. You can get those really cheap, like a dollar or two. You find them in the sewing notions. I got mine at Walmart (it was where the sewing needles were at).
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I too am big! Joined nearly 2 weeks ago an I'm finding that my friends help on the good and not so good days! Good luck:smile:
  • luvmy5guys
    luvmy5guys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using this for about a month but this is my first visit to the community board. I started doing this because the doctor said my sugar was getting high. I am not diabetic yet, but am heading that way quickly without weight loss. I would like to lose 100lbs.. but would be happy with enough to stave off diabetes! So far I am doing ok with this there are days when I feel like I am starving even though I know I am not.. I think the hardest part of this is my aversion to salad and green veges.... that definitely makes it harder. I wish you the best of luck. I don't really have any friends on here so if you (or anyone else) needs others to do this with just send me a friend request and will be happy to accept.
    Shelly
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Good luck.You can add me
  • Thorssoneg
    Options
    You can do it. It just takes some determination to get healthy. I joined backed in August and by using this site and tracking what I am eating and what exercise I do I have lost 70#'s. I still have another 80 or so to go to get to where I want, but this site has keep me motivated and inspired.
    The tape measure idea is great. I measure all different parts of my body, not just what they suggest. I've seen the changes in my legs and face/neck mostly, but am finally starting to see the waist difference too. Don't be discouraged if you aren't losing it where you really want to, its still coming off. Also I know I couldn't really even see a difference in myself until I hit 50#'s lost, so don't give up if you don't see it.
    Good Luck in your goal of getting healthy!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats for making a decision to get heathier. I suggest taking pictures of yourself. Do front shots and side ones and compare them to also help see progress.
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You are on the right track! MFP is an awesome tool. For me, it has been a godsend! Add me if you like. i am on daily and will check in on you from time to time. Good health to you!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Mate i feel your pain.

I had a group photo taken recently with ALL my relatives. Almost 200, and i was the 'Big Guy' ...Really Big :/

I keep that pic as a reminder.

My weight doesn't go down much all the time but my measurements tell the true story.

Good luck with everything, and if ya need a Pal to push you on you can add me.

:drinker:
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I am 6'5" and on new years day I weighed in at 350 on the dot, my scale at home tops out at 330 so I have to use the one at the gym. I am usually the biggest guy in the room, either by height or weight. At my worst I was 380, but lost over 80 lbs in 3 months due to health issues, I've gained a lot of that back, now I'm trying to lose weight the right way, and I'm on a very restricted diet because of the health issues.
    eta: nevermind, I can't get the photos to show up for some reason
  • skykill99
    Options
    WOW... you people are awesome. It's nice to see that the old saying is true... THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS...

Thank you all for your kind words and I am looking forward to this journey with all of you!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 6' 2" 357lb having started at 370 about a month ago and being 385lb at my heaviest. It's a tough road but I know it'll be worth it.
  • MichelleKS37
    MichelleKS37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your journey of losing weight and getting yourself healthy. This website has been a lot of help for me as I am sure it will be for you. It's great to see all of the support that you can get from total strangers who are going through the same as you. Each of us has our own story but we are all brought here for the same reason and that's to make ourselves happy and healthy. I have learned alot about myself keeping track of my food diary and my exercises. Whenever you feel like you are having a bad day and are about to give up coming here always puts that fight back in you. You can do this!