I've just eaten chocolate :(

Ellem86
Ellem86 Posts: 204
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I feel pretty bad, but the chocolate was goooood! Why is it chocolate is so good yet so bad?!

I've been on the site a while and as I keep having relapses and piling all the weight back on I figured I could do with picking up some friends who can encourage me and keep me on track and vice versa. Add me as a friend if you need a buddy!

Elle

Weight: 10 st 7 lbs
Target: 9 st 7 lbs
Height: 5 ft 3

Replies

• dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    I think chocolate should be a separate food group! it is always so good. Every now and then a little bite of chocolate won't hurt you. Its when you eat 4 or 5 candy bars or a dozen kisses that it isn't so good :ohwell: We just have to keep our mind set and go for it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Buy dark chocolate and indulge in ONE little piece when you absolutely cannot deny your craving. :happy: Better for you AND you get your fix!
  • I agree, chocolate is far too hard to resist. I myself ate three chocolate chip cookies today and went over my sugar intake. :ohwell: I usually try to keep treats like that as a reward system, if I exceed my exercise quota for the week, I have a couple. It helps if they're really high up too. :tongue:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Godiva dark chocolate pearls... get them! I've had the container in my purse for 3 weeks and just finished it today. 2-3 a day take care of my craving. They are rich and itty bitty (like tic tacs).
  • Desiderata
    Desiderata Posts: 91
    chocolate is actually good for you, its keeps your heart and cardiovascular system going strong. Dark chocolate is really the only good kind of chocolate, because of the lower fat and sugar content as opposed to say milk chocolate and, god forbid, white chocolate, but chocolate in general can lower blood sugar and cholesterol.

so dont feel bad! you'll only relapse if you completely eliminate things like chocolate from your diet. The brain goes through a sense of "withdrawal" from sugar the same way addicts do with drugs. It just makes cravings more intense. Just do what dansdeb says, "every now and then a little bite of chocolate wont hurt you"

good luck! we're here!
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    DANG IT!!! I wish I wouldn't have read this post because I was given a candy bar for Mother's day yesterday and I left it in the car so I would forget about it...now I remember...and I WANT IT!!
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Ditto the expensive chocolate suggestion - I tend to eat less of the good stuff for some reason. Hershey bars, etc. just don't do it for me. I also read somewhere that sometimes just the smell of chocolate can help with the cravings... Maybe get a good chocolate flavored candle and just inhale it. Sometimes just the smell of regular old baking cocoa is enough. Like the others said though, don't beat yourself up over too much - we all overdo the chocolate sometimes, esp. during the TOM.

ETA: Choco candles here - http://www.chocolate-sensations.com/site/440574/page/125020
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    I would have to agree with Desiderata if you deny your body of it then you are going to relapse. Occasionally eating chocolate is okay. It's when we eat a whole candy bar every day or like me at Easter I ate 10 yes 10 Reese's peanut butter eggs and a whole lot of other candy and made myself so sick, that we get our selves into trouble. You can do it!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,004 Member
    I'll never give up my chocolate. I have the Ghirardelli 60% cocoa dark chocolate chips in a canister, and I count out 10 to eat after lunch and 10 to eat after dinner. It's just enough to keep me sane, and it's only 50 calories for every 10 chips.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    My son got me an Edible Arrangment for Mom's Day and it has dark chocolate covered green apples. Chocolate usually isn't my thing but, Oh My.....these so are so good!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    DANG IT!!! I wish I wouldn't have read this post because I was given a candy bar for Mother's day yesterday and I left it in the car so I would forget about it...now I remember...and I WANT IT!!
    If it's hot, then it's melted and would be messy so you're saved from caving in :wink:
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    My trouble with chocolate is that usually 1 piece won't do. I feel like eating the whole thing! :grumble: Well, sometimes (like today), I do manage to have just one piece - don't quite know how to explain what the difference in thinking is.

Anyway, to cope with the chocolate cravings, I strongly recommend fruit: apples, kiwis, grapes (but watch for their sugar content), oranges - whatever you like. They are more filling, too! Also, when you feel like having something sweet, for the taste buds :smile:, have 1-2 pieces of dry fruit (if you can't stop there, better avoid them, though). Check their nutritional content if you doubt their benefits :smile:.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Good for you. :tongue: Actually, I'd say, this is great that you had chocolate, and the only part that is not so good is that you feel bad about it! Now, this may sound like I am being sarcastic, and mind you, I am not. :smile: I have a piece (or two, or three) of chocolate on any day I want. If I do, I adjust my next meals/calories not to go overboard.

I'll explain a bit how I think. :wink: ANY FORBIDDEN FOOD is tempting to us, and once we have that, we feel bad not because it will ruin our weight loss in one day, but because it's a sin in our minds. I STRONGLY BELIEVE we need to change this perception if we want to keep this lifestyle forever. There are no forbidden foods. Instead, there is a whole understanding of what food makes us feel good in the long run.

Sure, you don't want to eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you can easily have it everyday and lose weight. Now, I am not talking about any processed, junk-kind chocolates. I am talking about the real, good quality chocolate. And no substitutes. This is truly good for you and has some minerals and vitamins. :happy: No low- carb artificial puddings, no other artificial low cal concoctions exist as a replacement for a piece of good chocolate when you want it. :wink:

You will be surprised how rarely you will want to eat that chocolate once you get to the mindset that it is not forbidden. You only have to think you have a choice daily-- to eat healthy most of the time, or not to, and enjoy and balance your day with the real treats when you crave them.

Good luck! Relax and stay happy! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I'll never give up my chocolate. I have the Ghirardelli 60% cocoa dark chocolate chips in a canister, and I count out 10 to eat after lunch and 10 to eat after dinner. It's just enough to keep me sane, and it's only 50 calories for every 10 chips.
    PJilly, you come up with the best suggestions, gonna have to give this one a go! I'm not a dark chocolate addict. Which merely means I'm safe around it. So I can have the chips around like you shared and they'd be safe, milk chocolate? NO WAY:noway: :ohwell:

Seems a tiny bit of dark chocolate can go along ways toward taking care of that craving and keep one from feeling depriving and staving offa full on binge from staying completly away from it, least for me anyhow. :)
  • becca09
    becca09 Posts: 54 Member
    If i feel a chocolate craving coming on i have 4 squares of dark chocolate. the dark choc i have is harder and richer then milk choc which means i can sit there and suck the chocolate or bite little bits off at a time. i put the 4 squares into a cup and eat a bit then put it back in the cup, i put it in the cup so that it wont melt in my hands making me want to eat it quicker and also to stop heating it up when holding it and making it soft which would also make me eat it quicker. i like to put the 4 squares into the cup and i would then go upstairs, away from the chocolate bar, that way i see the 4 squares in the cup and i know that is all im allowed.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    When I want chocolate, I will eat a Hershey Special Dark Chocolate Bar. It has 180 calories, good for you, and makes me feel more satisfied than eatting milk chocolate.

A matter of fact, I did this yesterday :tongue:
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Good for you. :tongue: Actually, I'd say, this is great that you had chocolate, and the only part that is not so good is that you feel bad about it! Now, this may sound like I am being sarcastic, and mind you, I am not. :smile: I have a piece (or two, or three) of chocolate on any day I want. If I do, I adjust my next meals/calories not to go overboard.

I'll explain a bit how I think. :wink: ANY FORBIDDEN FOOD is tempting to us, and once we have that, we feel bad not because it will ruin our weight loss in one day, but because it's a sin in our minds. I STRONGLY BELIEVE we need to change this perception if we want to keep this lifestyle forever. There are no forbidden foods. Instead, there is a whole understanding of what food makes us feel good in the long run.

Sure, you don't want to eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you can easily have it everyday and lose weight. Now, I am not talking about any processed, junk-kind chocolates. I am talking about the real, good quality chocolate. And no substitutes. This is truly good for you and has some minerals and vitamins. :happy: No low- carb artificial puddings, no other artificial low cal concoctions exist as a replacement for a piece of good chocolate when you want it. :wink:

You will be surprised how rarely you will want to eat that chocolate once you get to the mindset that it is not forbidden. You only have to think you have a choice daily-- to eat healthy most of the time, or not to, and enjoy and balance your day with the real treats when you crave them.

Good luck! Relax and stay happy! :flowerforyou:

nice use of smilies :glasses:
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    nice use of smilies :glasses:

Thanks much. Smile is often on my face in reality, so I like to show it in virtual space too. :happy: :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.