What am I doing wrong?!

Options
Okay, so for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been riding the stationary bike for 20-25 miles along with weights and aerobics. This is more exercising than I have done in the past, I used to just elliptical for 30 min a day but that didn't really get me anywhere. So, I thought that by doing this (training for RAGBRAI) would really jump start my weight loss. BUT, I haven't seen any results and the scale hasn't moved at all. Am I doing something wrong? I really enjoy riding, but if I'm not going to start seeing results, I may need to take a different approach. Any suggestions would be wonderful!! Thanks!

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OM gosh it is so difficult to say for sure...are you eating enough to supplement all the exercise?

Are you losing inches?

What weight/height are you?
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie intake on a daily basis?
  • madzzzzzzz
    Options
    Sometimes you aren't doing anything wrong but results don't always happen over night.. Ive been burning over 600 cals 6x per week and eating healthy but results are slower than ever. It's just my body.
    Is your heart rate up on the bike? I know intervals are meant to aid weight loss, so why dont you try a spin class?
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When you say Stationary Bike are you talking like a Life Cycle kind of bike? Or are you talking about a spin bike? I'm assuming it is the first, the only reason I ask for clarification is it has an effect on my answer. 20-25 miles is a good turn of the pedals, but distance is not really the calorie burn in cycling ... intensity will often determine that. The other thing is the body will adjust to a constant intensity and become very efficient at it. On most of the stationary Life Cycle kind of bikes you can place it into a Random mode where it goes up and down with the resistance. That will really kick in the calorie burn.

If it is the spin bike ... it is more like riding a real bike, but intensity is also the question. Also throw in climbs by cranking down on the resistance, I like to vary it with seated climbs and standing climbs. When you stand you go from using your leg muscles to engaging every muscle in your body ... that shoots the calorie burn through the roof.

Also ... good luck with the RAGBRAI, I haven't done that one yet, but I've did the Mountains to the Coast ride 5 times.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie intake on a daily basis?
    ^This is a very relevant question.

Otherwise - it's only been 2 1/2 weeks. Sometimes it takes longer to see changes. The fact that you've recently increased the amount of exercise you're doing means that your muscles are probably holding onto water as they repair themselves. You may have lost some fat, but it is being masked on the scale by the water weight. Give it time.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's ONLY been 2.5 weeks. How long before that were you eating unhealthy and not exercising? Probably a lot longer. It takes time to see results on the scale, so be patient and hang in there. Make sure you're also not eating too much/too little. An open diary would help us find out.
  • fearmyclarinet
    Options
    I'm a college student and finding the most healthy foods isn't the easiest task. However, I do try really hard to eliminate pastas, breads, and sweets. I'm always under my calorie goal by at leas 250 calories. Should I try to eat even more? Sometimes I feel like I eat to much during the day anyway. :/
  • bubbli71
    Options
    I can tell you from experience I am the worlds slowest loser. I can work out for 3 hours a day eat 1200 cals, and lose 100grams in a week or nothing at all.
    Sometimes it takes weeks then suddenly my body will drop one or two kilos.
    You just have to eat as best you can, more whole foods, less crap.
    Exercise every day and try and maybe do something to increase your muscle.
    Muscle burns fat 24/7 where as cardio burns for maybe an hour after exercise.
    Even if all you do is some squats and push up... these can be done in a small space and you dont need the gym
    Be patient.
    Even though I am the most impatient person where this is concerned, haha
    Good luck!!!