FIBER??

Options
FIBER?? ... I need to up'd it! How do you increase FIBER in your diet?? and how much FIBER are you eating? :)

Replies

• bubbli71
    Options
    fibre is so easy to get!! Whole natural foods... fruit, veggies, grains and legumes. Anything from nature that hasnt been overly processed... fibre. Anything from an animal, no fibre
  • ixplodestuf
    Options
    I get lot's of fiber; anywhere from 20-60g a day! Often I get TOO much :D I eat a lot of oatmeal, brown rice and black beans. There are also a lot of bread products made with extra fiber like Thomas English muffins and Ole Extreme Wellness tortillas. I also get fiber from fruits like strawberries, avocado, bananas, and blueberries. You can check out my diary for ideas
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recently made a conscious effort to increase my fiber because I was not getting enough. Some really good choices for fiber I found

Small granny smith apple - 3g
    Kashi Go Lean - Toasted Berry Crisp Cereal - 3/4 cup - 8g
    Kashi Fruit and Grain Granola Bar - Chocolate Coconut - 4g
    Strawberries - 1cup - 3g
    Raspberries - 1 cup - 8g
    Ground Chia Seeds - 2 tbsp - 7g

Just some ideas. Although I always ate a lot of fruit, certain ones have more fiber.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fiber is the cell wall in plants. So the more the crunch, the more the fiber.
    Skip the whole wheat. It really does not add much fiber, and is processed.
    If you want starch, the potato is way criminalized and is innocent.
    It has 5 times the potassium of banana and the same calories as an apple.
    Just do not add butter or sour cream or the calories will soar.
    Apples are great, but potatoes satisfy hunger.
    Carrots, beans, brown rice, onions, peppers, squash, sweet potatoes are high fiber.
    If you want more fiber than your food intake provides, sprinkle gound flax seed.

So test question: If the steak is tough, does it have more fiber? Cell walls in plants only have fiber!
    Next question: If you cook the crunch out of a vegetable, is the fiber less? Less vitamins, but the walls are still there.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 25mg/ day, but I'd like to get closer to 40mg.
    I eat good cereals, beans, veggies, & fiber bars. (Just be careful of the ingredients in some fiber/ protein bars - they can often have a lot of sugar & junk in them.)
  • CountryStrongNicole
    Options
    I try to get it with fruits and veggies but still went to Joseph's pitas or the Flatout flat bread (all made with flax and these have a higher protien level). Then I also take 1-2 fiber choice tablets a day depending on where my fiber is for the day.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    if you're not getting the right foods in your diet then just buy some Psyillium husk

but it's much more tasty to get that fiber eating berries imo.

Another option would be to have a small bowl of Fiber One (original) cereal
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Add more raw fruit/veg to your diet. You can also have a small portion of nuts as a snack. I've also been baking with flax seed flour instead of wheat flour which has TONS of fiber....mfp is actually telling me I should eat less fiber. Any thoughts on this?
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies, legumes, and 100% whole grain cereals.
  • watergirlri
    watergirlri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    beans are an awesome source
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Majority of my fiber intake comes from:
    1) Gala apples: 5g/medium
    2) Fiber One bars: 9g/bar
    3) Clear fiber powder: 9g/2 tbsp; mix with water or food (e.g. yogurt, soup, sauce, etc.)
    4) Black beans: don't 'member of top of head, but pretty high
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Bran flakes (I get the plain ones. I know they still have sugar, but it isn't as bad as the ones with sugary raisins built in.)
    Dried apricots. Those apricots will move your bowels, if that is what you are after.
  • lwlock
    lwlock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all I can think of is the Bill Cosby dentist bit...
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make sure to look for 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Things like "made from whole grain" won't cut it. Everyone here is right, you can get it from fruits, bars, pasta's, etc. If you're still not getting enough, look into supplementing it.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I get a lot from whole foods (beans, vegies etc) but I like to eat Psyillium husk as well. So I stick a table spoon or two on my cereal every morning.

I actually like it and I miss it if it's not there.