To chuck or not to chuck..?

Options
Manuka
Manuka Posts: 35 Member
I've recently dropped a clothing size, yey! However, I'm finding it hard to chuck out my clothes that are now too big. I haven't really got the space to keep them but I'm such a big hoarder. I also worry I might need them again, but obviously really don't want to do that, but I have in the past. This time feels different though as I've made real changes instead of 'dieting'. So what do you think? What do you do? :)

Replies

• appleb
    appleb Posts: 1
    Options
    Chuck. If you don't, you will have your "fat clothes" to fall back into. Donate them to good will or a friend who can use them!! By the way congratulations on your weight loss!
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I say donate them! By getting rid of your "big" clothes you won't be able to have something to fall back on. And if your new size starts getting tight its an indicator to get back on track. Enjoy your new size and say goodbye to the old you!
  • lovemy2girls
    Options
    Chuck!!! I know it's hard, but def. chuck, and congratulations!:happy:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I did the big chuck before and I've totally regretted it. If I could do it over again, I'd chuck the bulk, but keep a couple items. Like a shirt and a pair of pants. Even if you never fit in them again just to have them as a reminder or motivation to keep you where you are. Humbling perhaps.

Keeping doesn't have to be an escape.

It's easy to see what you have feeling tight and make that motivation to get back on track, but that's a negative view of things. I like to see what I've accomplished as opposed to what I've ruined.

Congrats on your progress! :)
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Take them to a consignment shop and get money to buy new clothes that fit. Decide one and forever that you will never ever fit back into those clothes. Don't keep them around as an escape!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I went through that same struggle as I have lost weight and came to the conclusion that I don't want to EVER wear them again and if I balloon back to that size then I deserve to have to pay for fat clothes again! Bag them up today and don't look back. I took my to custodial help at my church who appreciated the opportunity to shop for free through my clothes; but also have taken items to Goodwill and gladly donated to others. DO not hoard stuff you are not using and have no intention of using again. If you think it would be inspirational to keep 1 item as a reminder of where you have been, certainly do so, but 1 piece should suffice and not take up space in your closet. Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep moving forward with confidence and do NOT look back.:happy:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Donate the clothes that are still in good condition. Cut the ones that aren't into rags. In general, keeping things "Just in case" just leads to clutter and stuff we don't need.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Chuck, chuck, chuck away. I can't wait to get rid of every single piece of fat clothing I own. :smile: Good job on the weight loss :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Chuck!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:

Make it a real occasion...throw a party...but by all means...CHUCK!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Donate, donate, donate, Leave one pair of pants as acomparison but get rid of the rest and buy anew or consignment.:drinker: Here's to you for losing.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Toss them in the Salvation Army bin!

(or we'll have to sic Stacy and Clinton of "What Not to Wear" on you!) :smile:
  • debhayes
    debhayes Posts: 14
    Options
    chuck!!! Move on-have a garage sale and celebrate with a new outfit!! Reward yourself for your accomplishments!! Good luck!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and am making the same decision this week. For me, it's not that I'm afraid that I'll need them again... but more that I've been in the situation before where I couldn't afford new clothes when I needed them... so holding onto things is kind of "ingrained". BUT - I'm not in that situation anymore and I know that by donating them... someone who needs them might have access to them.

The other side of the emotional struggle is that these clothes become like security blankets and old friends to us... they loved me when I was bigger, they hid me from the world, they made me feel "comfortable".... stepping out of those clothes almost feels like abandoning an old friend.... at least that's how I sometimes feel. BUT - I have to remind myself... they're clothes. I'm keeping a few things... as a reminder to myself just how far I've come. But the more I lose the more confidence I gain and I don't NEED that security blanket anymore.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I did the big chuck before and I've totally regretted it. If I could do it over again, I'd chuck the bulk, but keep a couple items. Like a shirt and a pair of pants. Even if you never fit in them again just to have them as a reminder or motivation to keep you where you are. Humbling perhaps.

That is exactly what I did. I kept one pair of trousers that I look at in shame but boy does it keep me motivated :laugh:
  • Rudie
    Rudie Posts: 27
    Options
    CHUCK!!!!!!

Without a shadow of a doubt, you should get rid. I mean, why do you want to keep clothes you don't want to wear? And if you do want to wear clothes that size, what are you doing on a diet??? :laugh:

I know it feels like throwing away money - for the more pricey items, see if you can get them altered; I had an evening gown altered down a size for £15, which is not too bad compared with the original purchase price.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to chuck them then definitely do so.

For me, I can't afford to buy new clothes every dress size I lose so I tend to keep them until they are pretty loose. Then I donate them.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    take your favorites to the tailor. I bought expensive jeans just before starting this. I tried to wear them last week hanging around the house and almost killed myself falling down the stairs (twice) because they were falling off. It kills me to spend that kind of money and giving them away. A friend suggested the tailor. It is less then replacing them, especially when I want to continue to lose.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    take your favorites to the tailor. I bought expensive jeans just before starting this. I tried to wear them last week hanging around the house and almost killed myself falling down the stairs (twice) because they were falling off. It kills me to spend that kind of money and giving them away. A friend suggested the tailor. It is less then replacing them, especially when I want to continue to lose.

Yeah, good point on the tailor. I have had to do this with some of my nicer work / dress clothing after previously losing 30 pounds. I suppose if it's a nice or expensive piece, try to have it tailored if possible.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    When I was struggling with deciding whether or not to donate my fat clothes, I came across this article and decided, without a doubt, to DONATE!

Dr. Oz’s 10 Weight-Loss Commandments

With our country’s obesity epidemic reaching biblical proportions, it’s time to commit to 10 easy and basic rules for losing weight and keeping it off.

1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it’s getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it’s time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Bad Clothes in Your Closet

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don’t come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your “fat pants.”

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won’t pay attention to how much you’re putting in your mouth) and you’re more likely to pick high-calorie snacks.

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Larger portions equal more calories. ‘Nuff said.

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don’t chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor’s Plate

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else’s sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you’re eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it’s too late.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    It's quite simple....just toss them out. For me I hate looking at my fat clothes now, I'd hate to have to look at them when I'm not wearing them anymore. I've already donated quite a few!