Need advice for cardio at home!!! Help!!!

Options
I feel completely uncomfortable in gyms and (as I’ll explain in a second) I can’t do a lot of outdoor running or walking. I really enjoy doing strength training at home, but I desperately need to work on my endurance and would like to have an at home solution. So I need some advice on some sort of cardio machine. These are my requirements…

-It needs to be fairly compact. I live in a one bedroom apartment and don’t want it taking up my entire home.
-It needs to be quiet. I’m on the top floor and don’t want to piss off my neighbors if my only time to work out is late at night or early morning.
-It needs to be inexpensive. By inexpensive, I don’t mean an $800 machine instead of a $2,300 machine. I’m a broke college student and am looking for something around $200 or less (but may possibly spend up to $300 if someone can convince me of something fantastic).
-It needs to be easy on the ankles. I have an “enlarged, protruding heel bone” in my left ankle. Things like walking on concrete, walking on treadmills, or running (anywhere) cause Achilles Tendinitis and Bursitis VERY easily for me.
-It needs to not involve my TV. I’m sure that many people would, considering all of my above requirements, suggest something like a DVD workout or games on the Wii or Kinect systems. It does seem like the most practical solution…. But I've tried those. The problem is that I am not motivated by these solutions. The one time that I actually enjoyed and kept up with cardio exercise in my life was when I was living with my parents and was able to watch TV while on their treadmill. It was easy to get lost in it and not feel like exercising was an extra chore I had to do as a separate part of my day.

So if you've got any advice on what has worked for you or what you think fits my needs, I would be so grateful for your help!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a light kettlebell and doing high-intensity circuits.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well tbh if i read your story, you seriously need to adjust your motivation and view on dvd workouts. All workouts you can find for free on the internet and all of them work if you stick with it Some easier than others.

If you dont want to do that and you only think that sitting on a cycle watching tv works, i am sorry, you dont want it bad enough.

You think i like doing those workouts at home, sweating, heavy breathing, i hate it but i am determined to change my body so i just set my mind on 0 and stick with it.

Results are not made in the comfort zone!
  • shainakennedy56
    shainakennedy56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    maybe a gazelle elliptical? I just got one and have only done 2 workouts on it so far but they run about $100-200 ( I think, someone gave me mine) although the calories you burn on it aren't as high as on a regular elliptical, you can get a good workout as if your walking around a 5mph brisk pace. oh and it folds up and can lean right against the wall... wonderful as far as storage goes. :flowerforyou:
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can always do stairclimbing. If you live in an apartment....walk the stairs for 10-15 minute increments. Hey, it's free!
    I also found that exercising while watching a favorite show....sometimes will hinder your workout. Some, myself included, have tendency to slow down while focusing more on the television than the workout.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Whilst results are not made in the comfort zone - a good start can be. And you have to stick with it, so starting off with something you think you will hate won;t get results either.

I would suggest either the stairs (if your ankle allows it), a kettlebell (love mine, and its strength and cardio at once!) or a cheap exercise bike.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I have a lower back problem and I'm still working out. My back is only going to get stronger the more I strength it with exercise. Same with your ankle. I have to watch what moves I do so I don't over stress my back out and thats what you can do to. Workout dvds are great I've been doing them and I've lost my weight from them. They really do help if you push yourself. I don't go to the gym, I'm a stay at home mom to a 15month old and I make the time. Go onto youtube and find full length workout videos for free. I live in an apartment too, but oh well, I'm bettering my life. You have to really want this inorder to go forward. Saying it is one thing but doing it is another. I use to be like you, saying I can't do this or that because of this, but I pushed through every excuss I had an did it. Sometimes I do it on little sleep, but at the end it will be all worth it.
  • priyashah
    Options
    I know you mentioned that you are uncomfortable in a gym situation, but given the tendonitis- have you considered swimming. Its a low impact exercise and has multiple benefits! Most park districts have swimming pools and trainers. And generally park districts are reasonable. Other option, if you want to be at home is a stationary bike (maybe search in craig's list).
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Some high intensity strength training and then some proper shoes for your feet and utilize the stairs in your apartment building! =)
  • watergirlri
    watergirlri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was also about to suggest a gazelle. I've had one for years, it is a great way to start building up some endurance. I've since gotten a larger more expensive elliptical, and still do part of my workout on the gazelle. As Shaina said, it does fold up, but to be honest with you it is a bit cumbersome to fold, so I leave mine open most of the time.
  • _Punjab
    Options
    Well tbh if i read your story, you seriously need to adjust your motivation and view on dvd workouts. All workouts you can find for free on the internet and all of them work if you stick with it Some easier than others.

If you dont want to do that and you only think that sitting on a cycle watching tv works, i am sorry, you dont want it bad enough.

You think i like doing those workouts at home, sweating, heavy breathing, i hate it but i am determined to change my body so i just set my mind on 0 and stick with it.

I would like to say that it is incredibly rude of you to suggest that I am unmotivated because I'm trying to find a way to both ENJOY a healthier lifestyle AND reach my goals. Don't misinterpret me. Just because I want to watch TV while I work out doesn't mean that I'm looking for something lazy or easy. I have no issue sweating and breathing heavy and working hard. Is someone who likes to listen to music while they work out unmotivated? I want to reach my goals in a way that I am excited about and looking forward to doing every day. Excuse me if that's wrong.
  • _Punjab
    Options
    @jimmie65 Thanks for your suggestion!!! And your baby is adorable! Congrats!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    @shainakennedy This sounds like a great apartment idea. Thanks!!!
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Maybe a Recumbent Bike. They aren't too expensive and can be low impact on the joints. They aren't always tiny though...

I think swimming would be a fantastic idea, like someone else posted :)
  • _Punjab
    Options
    @NicksMommy224 Stairs are free, accessible, and music goes great with them!! Thanks!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    Whilst results are not made in the comfort zone - a good start can be. And you have to stick with it, so starting off with something you think you will hate won;t get results either.

I would suggest either the stairs (if your ankle allows it), a kettlebell (love mine, and its strength and cardio at once!) or a cheap exercise bike.

Exactly!

And thank you for your suggestions!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    I have a lower back problem and I'm still working out. My back is only going to get stronger the more I strength it with exercise. Same with your ankle. I have to watch what moves I do so I don't over stress my back out and thats what you can do to. Workout dvds are great I've been doing them and I've lost my weight from them. They really do help if you push yourself. I don't go to the gym, I'm a stay at home mom to a 15month old and I make the time. Go onto youtube and find full length workout videos for free. I live in an apartment too, but oh well, I'm bettering my life. You have to really want this inorder to go forward. Saying it is one thing but doing it is another. I use to be like you, saying I can't do this or that because of this, but I pushed through every excuss I had an did it. Sometimes I do it on little sleep, but at the end it will be all worth it.

Thank you for your advice and taking the time to share your story. That's what MFP is supposed to be about, support and motivation. The problem with my ankle is that doctors have always told me to stay away from anything that will work it, but you've brought up a good point and maybe if I consult a physical therapist or trainer they might be able to help me with learning how to work out in a way that is actually GOOD for my ankle!!!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    I know you mentioned that you are uncomfortable in a gym situation, but given the tendonitis- have you considered swimming. Its a low impact exercise and has multiple benefits! Most park districts have swimming pools and trainers. And generally park districts are reasonable. Other option, if you want to be at home is a stationary bike (maybe search in craig's list).

Swimming is definitely a perfect. I really love it and it is easy on my ankle. I swim a lot during the summer when my local pool is open. I think I definitely will try to look around for a more inexpensive place to swim during the winter besides an expensive gym! Thanks for the advice!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    Some high intensity strength training and then some proper shoes for your feet and utilize the stairs in your apartment building! =)

High intensity strength training = check!
    Stairs are a popular suggestion, and I'll have to start adding them to my routine.
    Thanks!!!
  • _Punjab
    Options
    Maybe a Recumbent Bike. They aren't too expensive and can be low impact on the joints. They aren't always tiny though...

I think swimming would be a fantastic idea, like someone else posted :)

Low impact on joints is good. If I can find someplace to swim during the winter, it is my favorite suggestion! Thanks for your help!
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options

I would like to say that it is incredibly rude of you to suggest that I am unmotivated because I'm trying to find a way to both ENJOY a healthier lifestyle AND reach my goals. Don't misinterpret me. Just because I want to watch TV while I work out doesn't mean that I'm looking for something lazy or easy. I have no issue sweating and breathing heavy and working hard. Is someone who likes to listen to music while they work out unmotivated? I want to reach my goals in a way that I am excited about and looking forward to doing every day. Excuse me if that's wrong.
    Things tend to be rude indeed if someone is straight forward and it is not the thing you wanted to hear. If you are exited and looking forward to work hard than why cant you stick with a workout on tv? Try Les Mills Combat for example, its not supahdupah intense like insanity yet your burn around 500 cals in 30 mins, with fun exercises, music that fits the program and before you know it the workout is over.

Besides, cycling or a treadmill are pretty sucky if you want to lose weight effectively.