Every one around me is getting gastric bypass!

Options
Im am really happy for those that are able to get gastric bypass, but what about those who don't qualify? I only need to lose about 30 pounds which is still over weight. Everyone around me is getting surgery and dropping weight like crazy. I'm still Yo Yo dieting back and fourth.. WHAT ABOUT THE CHUBBY's? How do we get through this?

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do you really want gasdtric bypass? Yes you loose weight fast but there are dangerous side effects and a life long committment for specialyt doctors, vitamins and minerals.......

My sister in law got gastric and did lose weight but still eats like crap. McDonalds for breakfast and lunch. Even in small portions you can gain the weight back.

Stick in there -- you are doing it the healthy life long way which is the only way to do it.......and this is coming from someone who qualifies for gastric!!!!!!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Billi!

If 30 lbs is all you have to lose then forget the drastic surgery. I had 30 lbs to lose and did it in 123 day just by joining this website. If I can do it, you can too!
    The first step in permanent weight loiss is to make a "conscience" decision to do it....Seriously. After you have made the commitment, it's pretty much downhill from there.

Add me as a buddy and I will cheer you on till you have reached your goal!!!!

The best of luck to ya...:flowerforyou:
  • debhayes
    debhayes Posts: 14
    Options
    25 years ago I had my stomach stapled-the gastric surgery they used to do before gastric bypass! Yes, I lost a lot of weight, only to gain most of it back because I was told I could eat whatever I wanted. And I did and gained!! I have been struggling with weight all my life. Surgery is not a quick fix--it is serious business! This site has helped me a great deal as well as support from friends and my personal trainer! Do it right by eating healthy and exercise with a combination of strength training and cardio workouts! Good luck!! you can do it!
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs in 10 weeks by following mfp. I would take doing it this way any day over having drastic surgery. Just eat less and move more and the results will follow. I'm hooked on both now!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    It's really easy to listen to and watch other people make big changes weight wise. It's really so important to focus on you. If you're over weight and you want to lose it, then as hard as it may be, you need to zone in and focus on you. What really needs to happen is a life style change - changing what you eat and when, adding in exercise and your mental state of mind. I really want to stress that you NEED to want this for you. Life style changes take time, dedication, hard work, motivation and will power. Don't overwhelm yourself, but accept things as they come along. Such as: Don't be too hard on yourself if you eat 5 cookies instead of 2... And so on.

Eat good for you foods, count every calorie and exercise. Make small goals like: Just for today, I'm going to walk 30 minutes at lunch. Once you've completed that goal, feel amazing about it! Then make another one.

Again, this is for you and you alone, so make it amazing, take your time and smile every day, because each day you do well is a day closer to being a healthier you :)

:flowerforyou:
  • corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    I don't feel the need to put down those who have a serious addiction and need the help of "permanent will power" and end up having weight loss surgery. To each his own. But even after having a "drastic" procedure, I'm sure it's not a cake walk. Everyone must do what they have to do in order to get to the end result. I know people who have had gastric bypass and gastric banding. These people still struggle with eating right and exercising. The weight doesn't automatically fall off, and old habits still have to be overcome. Don't believe that they took "the easy way out".

Just do what you need to do for you. This site helps me everyday. The encouragement that I get from friends on this site is amazing, knowing that I am accountable to a few more people helps me make better choices. :)
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A while ago, before I joined MFP I weighed 280 pounds. I now weigh 198 and I did it without surgery. You only need to lose 30, you don't need to have surgery. If you take your time, do it right and stay strong, you can do this. Sure, it may take a little longer, but when you reach your goal you'll know that you've earned it because you did it the right way and the healthiest way.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I too have "40 lbs" to lose...............have lost 26 since Feb. 18th just with help from this site alone! You can do it!!!!!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass:

"Hi doc. I cannot stop stuffing garbage in my mouth. Please perform a dangerous, invasive operation on me to make my body not work properly. Make me physically incapable of stuffing too much garbage in my mouth. Alter my stomach or break my elbows - your call".

Do you really want to do that? :noway:

Get on-board here, learn to eat properly, get a little exercise. You can do it, and you'll be so much healthier and happier if you do.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Be true to yourself. You joined this website because you KNOW you can do it yourself without surgery. It really is an exciting and dare I say (fun) process going through all the changes of what healthy diet and good exercise can bring.

I have lost almost 30lbs and it has taken about a year. I did take a 7 month break where I just maintained for a while, so you could do it in a couple of months and not have to go through dangerous, DANGEROUS surgery.

Just be happy your don't have to resort to those extreme measures. Maybe some of those people around you REALLY need the surgery, but the few people I know could have done it with plain diet and exercise. Learning what a portion size is and counting their calories.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Gastric bypass:

"Hi doc. I cannot stop stuffing garbage in my mouth. Please perform a dangerous, invasive operation on me to make my body not work properly. Make me physically incapable of stuffing too much garbage in my mouth. Alter my stomach or break my elbows - your call".

I agree with this however brutal it may be. I am NOT a supporter of this type of surgery. I think the medical industry is making HUGE money by offering this up to people instead of taking the time and offering the personal involvement to help people do this in a healthy way.

It is not a quick fix and serious side effects come with it. A friend of mine had this done a year ago...she still suffers from malnutrition, vomiting, chronic nausea, etc. She does not eat crap...and does exercise. Point is, even though she cares for herself...it doesn't stop the side effects. Altering the basic functions of your body that drastically is never a good thing.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Hi Fiend,,, thanks. It's an old line of mine, and it's not that brutal anymore. It used to start out with "Hi Doc, I have the attention span of a goldfish and the discipline of a 4 year old,,,", you guys got the softened up version. I've mellowed after seeing some things and learning some things.

Some people really really need some extra help. 6 months in a lockdown setting where they just can't get the crap would be healthier. Ironically, the 'break my elbows' option might be healthier. But for whatever reason some people just can't seem to get the diet&exercise thing done, and they're who the surgery is for.

But OP has 30 pounds to lose, which ain't much. Let's see,,,
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I would've qualified for bypass surgery and it never even crossed my mind. The way us "chubby" people do it (YAY, I'm finally just CHUBBY!) is the same way I've been doing it for the last 8 months. Eat healthy and exercise. Seriously, just do it.

After you get your sh** together, it's really really really not that hard. :wink:
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    You are really lucky not to need Gastric Bypass surgery. This is a surgery of last resort, when everything else has failed.

You absolutly can lose your 30 pounds by changing your eating and exercise habits. It is just as important to understand that there are some people that need the surgical intervention in order to see results.

I hope my personal story will help you see why this surgery is necessary for some people. I do not expect to change anyones opions on this surgery, just to inform.

I was underweight until I was 12 years old. That year, I entered puberty and discovered that I had a hormonal imbalance that caused me to gain 100 pounds in 2 months. From then on I was on 1 diet after another trying to lose the weight. Nothing worked, I gained weight on weight watchers, nutrisystem, metabolic research center, jenny craig, LA weight loss, etc.

I developed JPA (Juvenile Psoriatic Arthrits) which resulted in my inability to walk more than 25 feet without dislocateing my knees or hips and was treated with Steroids, thus more weight gain. I had 6 knee adnd 4 shoulder surgeries to clean out the arthritis and decrease the pain.

In 2007 I was in a wheelchair because of the pain in my knees and hips. It was discovered that I needed a double knee, double hip replacement, but by then I was 360 pounds and the joint surgeries were to risky, I was told I had to lose at least 150 pounds to make the surgeries viable and that I should look into Gastric Bypass surgery. I was told this by my Orthopedic surgeon, my Rheumatologist, and my primary care.

I did alot of research, found out the risks, lifestyle changes, and the benefits. I had my Gastric Bypass on October 14, 2008. To date I have lost 153 pounds.

Yes there are risks to the surgery as well as lifestyle changes. I have to take a great many vitamin supplements for the rest of my life. I have to watch what I eat just like everyone else. I struggle to eat more than 900 calories a day, my surgeon wants me to eat 1200, but I hardly ever manage it. I have some foods that I can not eat, since my pouch (the part of the stomach that is still connected) can not digest them without severe pain, I have a lot of pain if I eat too much or do not chew well enough. I have to force myself to eat since I never feel hungry anymore.

But I am healthier now that I have been in years. I can walk without debilitating pain. (My wheelchair is actually in the closet collecting dust now!) I am able to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for an hour at just under 3 miles an hour. I am at a weight now where my orthopedic surgeon is comfortable with performing the joint replacements. I have my first knee replacement surgery scheduled for Tuesday, June 1, with the second to follow 6 weeks later. Hips will be done in December and January. Then we will discuss surgical intervention on my elbows, shoulders, spine, and ankles. I would not have been able to get to this point without the Gastric Bypass surgery.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Thanks Redhed, earlier I said:
    I've mellowed after seeing some things and learning some things.

But for whatever reason some people just can't --- get the diet&exercise thing done, and they're who the surgery is for.
    I'm still seeing and still learning, thank you. You're one of the special cases, and I wish you well.
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks CasperO. I wish you well on reaching your fitness goals as well!
  • katiekitoff
    Options
    Hi everyone, just joined today, wish me luck... I am Katie
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs in 3 1/2 months and plan on losing 20 more. I've done it working my *kitten* off in the gym and at home, counting calories, making sure I get enough fiber, drink enough water, etc. You can do it without surgery. Why risk your life?
  • Billi11
    Billi11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Everyone :)
  • CasperO
    Options
    You're welcome Billi. So what'cha gonna do? Wanna be pals? Lots of us have done it and we know where the traps are and we love to help,,,