Thoughts on a "free day" or meal?

Options
My husband and I did Body for Life years ago and I ALWAYS took full advantage of the weekly "free" day and still lost 10 pounds on the program.

Now that I'm a bit more (cough cough) mature, I am hesitant to get too "free" with even one meal a week, let alone a day, for fear that my metabolism won't catch up and I'll backslide with my weight. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion here but I dont think a whole day is a good idea. I think it would wipe out most of the deficit that i left throughout the week. A meal, though, is a great idea and something i do every other week.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think you have to have wiggle room every once in awhile. I follow the 90-10 plan. 90% of my eating is perfect 10% - not so perfect. 80-20 is probably just as safe to be honest.

Some people have a treat every day so long as it fits their macros. I personally prefer to eat as nutritious as I can every day so that when I go to a family party or something I don't feel as bad about skipping the log book for the evening. It's whatever works for you.

This is a lifestyle change! There's no reason you shouldn't give yourself a treat meal every now and then. Just make sure a cheat meal doesn't turn into an all out binge!
  • whenthepawn
    Options
    I have one free meal a week usually a Friday night :-)
  • bubbli71
    Options
    I agree that a whole day of eating what you want is a recipe for disaster.
    But a meal out etc once a week, who cares?
    You have to live and enjoy yourself. That being said... if your free meal is a non stop pig out until you have to crawl away from the table or couch, and I know alot of people who look at it like that... then you are fooling yourself.
    I am never going to stop going out on the weekends and having a meal out or a couple of drinks, or both and if I want dessert then I'm having it.
    We arent robots, we just have to be honest about our intentions when having that 'free' meal.... its not really free. But you will be happier for it, than soemone who 'diets' 24/7.