weight lifting calories and cardio calories

Options
I have purchased a HRM polar FT4. I have been using that and love it. I go by the calories from my HRM and not the myfitness ones. My main question is do people also count the calories they burn while lifting as well. I have only counted just cardio i do but today i tried to do them all but break up the workouts on my HRM. for ex. elliptical 30 mins 254 calories, then i stopped it and restarted when i started lifting which i burned 60 calories in 15 mins. I watched to see if i was in my fat burning range and sometimes i was but other times during lifting i wasnt so not sure if i shold count them. please help

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Calorie output from HRMs is notoriously inaccurate for weight training. I wouldn't bother logging it, but that's just me.
  • cooper902
    Options
    ok...i have never recorded it before, but was curious today what i was burning
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Calorie output from HRMs is notoriously inaccurate for weight training. I wouldn't bother logging it, but that's just me.

Why is this? I do a lot of circuit style weights, and I've always been curious why people say this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Why is this? I do a lot of circuit style weights, and I've always been curious why people say this.

Calories expended during weight training involves so many factors (weight being lifted, repetitions, speed of reps, rest between sets, etc.) that it would be nearly impossible to judge off of heart rate, even with the factors that most HRMs do take into account. The fact is, they just aren't designed with weight training in mind, at least none that I have seen.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Do they over or under report do you think?
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

True, but I still log it. More to just log the workout. I'm pretty sure the fat burning zone is not something you should be worrying about either. Just log your calories and eat them back.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Calories expended during weight training involves so many factors (weight being lifted, repetitions, speed of reps, rest between sets, etc.) that it would be nearly impossible to judge off of heart rate, even with the factors that most HRMs do take into account. The fact is, they just aren't designed with weight training in mind, at least none that I have seen.

Yep - but all those factors you mention will not over report the calories you burn.... (Been eating back weight lifting calories using my HRM readings - 110 lbs lost says it is reasonably accurate!!)

OP - In a kick *kitten* 60 min weight session with a bit of cardio type KB swings I burn around 500 calories..... I eat back between 50% and 75% of those - leave about 25% for the margin of error....
  • dsjr2006
    Options
    I believe they overreport. Most cardio involves using many more muscle groups than weight lifting.