Heart rate monitor advice

Options
I am very interested in getting a HRM I can wear all day and maybe at night to track my sleeping. I would like it to be compatible with Apple products and MFP if that exists. Also are there ones that are better for someone who is well endowed? Thank you for any advice or suggestions !

Replies

• dsjr2006
    Options
    I'm somewhat interested in the need to track heartrate all day and sleep on a consistent basis. Is this just to find out where you're at or to track calories burned?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    if you want something you can wear all the time and track sleep, you're gonna wanna go with bodymedia fit - it can link with mfp and dont see why it wouldnt be compatible with apple stuff. you wear it around your left arm and i love mine
    normal HRMs are only intended to be used during cardio workouts
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat interested in the need to track heartrate all day and sleep on a consistent basis. Is this just to find out where you're at or to track calories burned?

I would like to find out we're I am at overall on a daily basis, not just exercise days. I would like one that tracks sleep because I would like to see how much restful sleep I am actually getting.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    if you want something you can wear all the time and track sleep, you're gonna wanna go with bodymedia fit - it can link with mfp and dont see why it wouldnt be compatible with apple stuff. you wear it around your left arm and i love mine
    normal HRMs are only intended to be used during cardio workouts

Do they have decent size bands? I have large arms so would need some room.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only meant to be worn during steady state cardio exercise. They aren't for wearing all the time. There's really no point to wearing something all the time. You can figure out your BMR and TDEE pretty accurately with a multitude of online calculators and then log exercise as you do it. There aren't that many special snowflakes out there that don't fit somewhat within the parameters of those calculators.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do not track sleep.

You're welcome.
  • stefanij07
    stefanij07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Check out the upcoming Fitbit flex in spring! http://www.fitbit.com/flex Tracks all! Can't wait!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fitbit or BMF is what you are looking for. HRMs aren't accurate for calorie burns outside the limited scope of cardiovascular exercise- not for all day, not for anaerobic exercise, and certainly not for sleep.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    can someone please educate me on why i would need to count calories while i'm sleeping?
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    agreed with pretty much everyone in this post. my question would be, why do you feel the need to track everything to such an extreme level
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    agreed with pretty much everyone in this post. my question would be, why do you feel the need to track everything to such an extreme level

Usually in a search to justify eating more or eating less. Fast track to an eating disorder to obsess about calorie burn to the Nth degree.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you could try fitbit they have a sleeve you wear when you go to bed and it checks how many time you wake up ect have a look at there website
  • CkepiJinx
    Options

Usually in a search to justify eating more or eating less. Fast track to an eating disorder to obsess about calorie burn to the Nth degree.

You know nothing about me or my reasons, your response is rude and disrespectful. I eat like a normal human being I have been losing weight regularly since I started. I do not starve myself, I exersice regularly and don't obsess over anything, I do how ever want to understand my body. And while maybe HRM was the wrong term as several have responded with the advice of a fit bit which can track sleep and be worn all day.

I thank those of you who gave advice.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    can someone please educate me on why i would need to count calories while i'm sleeping?

Not to track calories while I sleep, looking to gauge how much sleep I am actually getting.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    Sounds like a fitbit or BMF is what you are looking for. HRMs aren't accurate for calorie burns outside the limited scope of cardiovascular exercise- not for all day, not for anaerobic exercise, and certainly not for sleep.

Thank you what is a BMF, I have heard of fitbit but not this ?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Body Media Fit- it's a armband device you wear all the time, a little more sophisticated than fitbit, but also more expensive and requires a monthly service fee- so there's pros and cons.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ChepiJinx,
    Good luck with your search; I wish I could give you some options but I am only familiar with typical chest strap monitors.
    I think some of the responses to your question have been less than helpful.
    Chin up, eyes on the prize, keep moving.
    Don.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options

It isn't about tracking to an extreme level it is about figuring out how my body works, my goal is to do this in a healthy manner, I have been very successful so far and would like to continue being successful. I think it is important to learn as much as you can when endevouring to accomplish any goal. While there are calculators available on line I feel that using something that actually calculates my personal body and activity would be beneficial to me. As I do not have a ton of money I would like to find something that is multipurpose.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options

Body Media Fit- it's a armband device you wear all the time, a little more sophisticated than fitbit, but also more expensive and requires a monthly service fee- so there's pros and cons.

Oh yes ok just hadn't seen it with just the initials lol I have heard of those thank you!
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    ChepiJinx,
    Good luck with your search; I wish I could give you some options but I am only familiar with typical chest strap monitors.
    I think some of the responses to your question have been less than helpful.
    Chin up, eyes on the prize, keep moving.
    Don.

Thank you Don I appreciate your kind words. Yes some people have nothing better to do than judge others but it is the Internet and they let any one on here :wink: