Low carb foods?

Options
I need some more idea's on low carb or carb free foods apart from chicken or tuna.. is there anything else out there?? I'm really lacking in inspiration for meals due to the high carb.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Turkey, beef...pretty much anything that ever had a pulse is a good bet.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep meat and eggs
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese. hard cheese, greek yogurt, pork rinds,
  • elewellen
    Options
    berries is the best fruit too stay away from the other fruit and juices too stay away
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles... a PERFECT replacement for pasta. Almost zero cals and carbs...no fat... awesome!! Dry fry them up first (just toss around in a pan) to absorb some of the wetness of them-- then use like any other noodles. What did I ever do before discovering shiritaki noodles?!?
  • elewellen
    Options
    where do I get them noodles? got have noodles:)
  • jgarci
    Options
    Where do you buy/find these shikitake noodles?? I could definitely use some new low carb ideas besides eggs, meat, dairy, nuts and low carb veggies.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa, Fish, Lettuce, Most Meats, Walden Farms Products, Paleo Breads, heavy cream, cheeses, almonds, miracle noodles, PB2 (great peanut butter alternative)
  • lndsay85
    lndsay85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    -Sugar free jello has 0 carbs (great with a LITTLE bit of whipped cream)
    -Fage Plain non-fat greek yogurt has 7 carbs
    -Bacon has 0 carbs
    -About Time protein powder has 0 carbs, 0 fat, LOTS of protein and only 120 calories
    -Almost all veggies have few carbs if you subtract out the fiber (fiber is not absorbed by the bloodstream)
    -Almonds and Macadamia nuts are low carb after fiber is subtracted out
  • jgarci
    Options
    Can someone really explain this thing about carbs minus fiber = actual carbs? I don't really understand it!
    Thanks!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I need some more idea's on low carb or carb free foods apart from chicken or tuna.. is there anything else out there?? I'm really lacking in inspiration for meals due to the high carb.

Cheddar cheese has no carbs---surprisingly. I eat it all the time when I need to up my fat and protein without raising my carbs. I get organic medium cheddar because it is made with raw milk.
  • ldbuster0
    Options
    I will check some of these low carb foods out. Seems like I keep going over everyday. I already eat most of them. I mostly over eat on carbs because I just love fruit. Berries are good, but just to expensive right now.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy/find these shikitake noodles?? I could definitely use some new low carb ideas besides eggs, meat, dairy, nuts and low carb veggies.

Shirataki noodles (I believe they are made from yams) can be gotten wherever Japanese foodstuffs are sold. They have little taste of their own but they work great with any kind of flavorful sauce. Very low in carbs.
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Steak, pork chops, protein shakes, ribs with lc bbq sauce
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    GET SHIRITAKI NOODLES

zero calories, zero carbs, zero fats

you can get them at your local asian supermarket and it's usually by the open fridge area. this is how you should prepare it, open the bag and drain out the water thats inside the packet and boil it for 3 minutes or so because the noodles have a fish smell to it. when you are at the asian market, also get mae ploy sweet chilli sauce and lee kum kee chilli and garlic sauce. low calories condiments. tasty as ****. your welcome
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have issues with time and lack of imagination. I found Atkins frozen dinners at Walmart. I have been taking them and a Greek yogurt for lunch everyday. They are really good and since they are high protein they keep me full till dinner.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Can someone really explain this thing about carbs minus fiber = actual carbs? I don't really understand it!
    Thanks!!
    Fiber passes through your system undigested, and therefore has no actual effect on blood sugar, calorie count, ect. So, it is subtracted from the net carbs when you eat.
    In your macros (goal page) you can add fiber as something you track. This can help you see that you are actually absorbing in carbs.
  • kennedy453
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Here is a link to a site with low carb recipe ideas.

Here is one for a low carb pizza that I am trying tonight for the supper bowl. Looks delicious!

NANCYELLE'S THIN AND CRISPY PIZZA CRUST
    8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon basil, optional
    Toppings of your choice *

Mix the cheeses, eggs, garlic powder and basil well. Line a 16-inch pizza pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Evenly spread the cheese mixture in the pan, almost to the edge, making it as thin as possible. Bake at 450º 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I suggest checking it after about 10 minutes. If it's getting very dark on the edges and top, turn the oven down to 400º and continue baking until brown all over and no longer pale on the bottom. Pat off any excess grease then add your toppings. Keeping the oven rack in the center position, put the pizza under the broiler until the toppings are hot and any cheese you added is melted and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.

Makes 8 servings
    Can be frozen

* You may want to sauté your mushrooms, peppers and other vegetable toppings before using because the pizza will only be baked briefly with the toppings on. I also recommend pre-warming any meat toppings as well. I put all of my toppings, except the sauce and cheese, in a big skillet and heated them up together.

Crust only:
    Per Serving: 176 Calories; 14g Fat; 12g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carb

Topped with 1/4 cup pizza sauce, 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, 1/2 cup cooked Italian sausage, 4 ounces mushrooms, 1/4 cup green peppers:
    Per Serving: 271 Calories; 21g Fat; 18g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

This is my new favorite low carb pizza crust and it's quick and easy to make. It is crispy on the edges and nice and thin. Even though it is very thin, you can easily pick this up and eat the pizza in your hand. I went very light on the pizza sauce on mine because it gives me heartburn. You could use more than I did but too much might make the crust turn soggy. Although 1/4 cup isn't a lot of sauce, I was able to very thinly spread it over the entire surface of the crust. It was just enough to suit me. I also went light on the cheese topping because there was already 12 ounces of cheese in the crust. Four ounces for the topping was just enough to help hold the other toppings in place. Although one slice would have been plenty for me, I didn't have too much trouble eating two slices. It is very filling and satisfying. If you serve a salad along with this, one slice might be enough for all but the biggest appetites. Click here if you'd like to read Nancy's original recipe thread at Low Carb Friends. Click the photo to see a close-up. Below is a picture of the whole pizza.
  • hdchristian83
    hdchristian83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    gonna have to try this one. so much good advice on this topic! :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Here's a site that lists the glycemic index & glycemic load values for a large variety of foods. If you're interested in learning more about controlling your cards have a look.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm