Here is some motivation for those of us who need it

Options
January 6th I weighed in at 305.8 (ish depending on the scale) I overhauled my life that day. I completely cut out soda, junk food, fast food, fried food, "white" starches and my Starbucks. I spent the first week learning to cook food that was not only healthy but something I would eat and LIKE. I didn't worry so much about if the food was super good for me, I focused on choices that were better than what I had been eating.

Skip ahead a week. I discovered I love whole grain pasta!!! I love Almond Milk!!! I love salad with only 40 sprays of Italian dressing. I LOVE Feta. I also started watching my caloric intake. Now, in the next week both my children got very ill, I took a final, started a new class, and became very stress out. I ate pizza for dinner after spending 5 hours in the Er with the sick kids. (I totally beat myself up, but I came in under my calorie goal by 68 or so calories so at my husband's encouragement and support I let it go)

Skip ahead another week. I lost weight. I lost more than I thought I would. I ate pizza again, (But this time at a restaurant that uses whole grain bread) I ate 4 pieces, and loved every bite. I still lost weight. I realized, this is a life change, not a diet. I can eat whatever I want. If I want to lose weight, I need to make better choices more often than I make bad ones. Awesome, I can totally do this.

This week I realized I no longer needed to take 800 mg of iron a day because I was eating foods with iron in them and taking my daily vitamins. Also, I no longer had heartburn! Which meant no more heartburn medicine! Sweet! Doctors appointment to get my yearly physical done- No longer prediabetic! Cholesterol is lower, blood pressure in a healthy range (105/70) and no longer severely anemic! (Just need to up my iron intake- more salad with the veggies I actually like now!) Oh, and most exciting, I like veggies now!!!! Not all of them, but wow, a month of new eating habits and I actually snack on celery, broccoli, carrots, avocado, olives, and mushrooms! (I have hated mushrooms always, now I love them)

Okay so to the best part. This morning I weighed in at 288.8 My goal was to be under 290 by my birthday. (Which is Sunday) Sweet! Awesome! I rock! New goal, get under 280 by March 25th. (I can totally do this) Day gets better. My husband takes me to Lane Bryant to prove to me he can see the weight loss. I had been complaining I couldn't see it.

I went from a 24 pant size to a 22! I went from a 44dd bra to a 42g. (Hello bigger boobs, smaller around?! Yeah, muscle there under that fat now)!) Shirt size- (here is the amazing part) went in wearing a 26, came out wearing an 18/20 that was not tight anywhere on my body!

I have only lost 16.6 pounds, but wow what a change! The scale is no indicator of how much weight I have lost and how much my body has changed.

To all the people struggling, who feel like the road ahead of them is too long and its too hard to lose the weight here is my advice: RELAX! Figure out what foods you can ditch. Figure out what you can live without, and what you can't. (I love pizza, so I still eat it. I just don't eat it everyday.) Give yourself time to adjust to every new thing you do. Working out is really hard for me. So I am starting out slowly. I started just shaking my groove than in the kitchen while doing dishes and cooking. I tried Wii games, and a dance exercise game. Hated them. So I kept looking for workouts I liked enough to do again. So far, I found my son's Shaun T workout tons of fun. We do it together, and giggle together, and I motivate him. (Awesome side note- exercising with your 9 year old son is SO MUCH FUN) I give myself props every time I enter the kitchen and leave without making a bad choice. EVERY TIME! I tell myself how great I am doing because I didn't eat donuts, or I didn't cover my salad in Ranch and croutons. I log everything I put in my mouth. I stopped putting myself down when I didn't do well. (There is no cheating and no failing at CHOOSING to eat healthier) If I fail to eat all my calories for the day, I forgive myself and try harder the next day. If I eat to many carbs and not enough protein, I forgive myself and move on.

So here's to everyone struggling to get healthier! I have managed to turn my life around in a month, with very little effort! If your struggling, and its too hard, and you want to give up, stop trying to force feed yourself food you don't like, and doing exercise you hate. Explore more foods. Try new things, until you find foods you like that are healthy. Keep moving, even if its only spazzing out in the kitchen, or dancing around while you put laundry away. Its moving! Give yourself time to adjust. Smile everyday!

Replies

• Louiseisme
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing and kudos for realizing what it take many people years to learn...It is a LIFESTYLE not a diet, small changes and smart choices are what gets us to our goal. I have an 11 year old son, and workouts involving him are the best..:drinker:
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! I think this is wonderful and was excited for you as I read the first month of your journey. Keep up the great attitude and hard work!

:bigsmile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How fabulous! Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us!
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for the motivation :smile:
  • Budding_Flower
    Budding_Flower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing!!!! Your story is so wonderful and exciting! Keep it up! I have been like you, I find myself liking more things than I did before I started my "lifestyle change" and I have NO heartburn anymore which is AMAZING. Oh, Happy Birthday by the way!!! My birthday is Sunday too. :)
  • ama5210
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing! I too have been doing exactly what you've done for 4 weeks this coming Monday. I started walking 1-2 miles almost every day - 30 minutes. I have never really cared for cooking but now find I'm spending a lot of time in the kitchen and actually enjoying it! We have a wonder produce/market place nearby and they have tons and tons of fruits/veggies etc. So every week I buy some different ones to change it up a bit and research recipes on line. I have only lost about 6 pounds (next weigh in Monday) - logically I know if I continue I will eventually lose - also trying to be kind to myself at all times. My new mantra "I CAN DO THIS!" :)
  • TeriTegland
    TeriTegland Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! :flowerforyou: Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    congrats for being so real and not obsessing about not eating right all the time.

it is easier to eat better once I started logging food. Basically I really did not know all the good foods calorie counts. So it is getting easier now.

Have the best birthday and have a great outlook for your future!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love SO many of the points you made! It's not about a diet - it's a lifestyle change! I remember when I started changing my eating, sometimes I'd call my mom & say "Hey guess what, I'm eating zucchini!" I don't particularly *like* cooking, but I do like eating, & eating healthy, & eating food that tastes good, so I usually make food & eat at home. It's a lot of just finding out different foods & how to prepare them in a way you like.

I'm totally with you on the pizza thing too - I eat pretty healthy, probably better than anyone I know, but if I decided I wanted to eat 4 pieces of pizza I would & I wouldn't beat myself up about it. Because every other time we eat well, & we want to make changes we can live with.

One of the biggest things I loved about changing my eating for the better - like you mentioned, is how much healthier I really was! I used to get sick alllllll the time. I'd catch any cold that went around. I'd get bronchitis & strep throat about twice a year, & when I did get sick, I'd usually be laid out for 2 weeks. Now I rarely get sick - I don't catch things that go around. I just have to watch myself when the seasons change so that my allergies don't get out of control. And I even stopped my heart problems from getting worse when I got a lil more strict on my eating - I used to have a resting heart rate that often didn't get below 100, & now it's at 78 & continuing to get better. :)

And I love Shaun T's workouts so far too! :D
  • janisdianis
    janisdianis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this! I am my own worst critic! I really need to change my way of thinking and be proud of everything I am changing my life for. Thank you and great job :))))))))
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love salad with only 40 sprays of Italian dressing.

ONLY 40 sprays of dressing?!?!? How many sprays did you use before hand? lol.
  • dogpeeps
    dogpeeps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the shed pounds (I was told never say lost pounds as you can always find them again. If we shed them, they're gone.)

Your testimony is definitely the motivation I needed to get my butt back into gear. (Shed 60+ lbs previously, had surgery in late August, and now back to finish what I started.) I feel like I've "lost" ground by having had surgery & recovery ... so getting back on the horse, so to speak just seemed so daunting.

I have floundered for the past few weeks, but this past week I have seen my head more in the game again. You are so right about making the choices of what you can ditch and the things that you need to enjoy (and plan for) when you have them.

I am so excited for the new you that you have already become and for the transformed person you will be when you hit your goal. How great for you that you are also seeing the positive changes medically.

Thanks again for sharing!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous post! Well done!
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Salad... My idea of salad pre January 6th was a lettuce drowned in ranch dressing, with a mess of croutons on it covered in cheese with a side of cottage cheese...

In one month I changed a lot. I started with 3 cups of salad, chopped almonds (1 tbsp) 5 croutons and 40 sprays of Italian dressing. Now I have 2 cups of lettuce, slice 2 carrots, 4 slices of cucumber, a sprinkle of almonds, 1 strawberry, 10 sprays of Italian dressing only sometimes, and NO croutons. (the dressing I use is a calorie a spray)

Let me be clear, change is hard. Changing one's life is HARD. But it isn't hard if you take it one step at a time. I don't tel myself I can't have dressing because its not good for me. I tell myself the dressing I have now is a better choice than the ranch. When I have a salad without any of my dressing, I do a dance. I may not be able to give up EVERY not perfect food, but you know what, I can give up beating myself up over it.

I have 150+ pounds to lose. I could focus on that, and not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Or, I could see that I am down a pant's size. That my my shirts are 2 sizes smaller than they were a month ago. That I FEEL AMAZING! That I now have the energy to go on a walk with my kids, get on the ground and wrestle with them, and have dance parties with them. I have the energy to MOVE! I sleep better! I wake up in a good mood!

So to the poo-pooer who thought 40 sprays of dressing was RIDICULOUS, guess what? I will not let you make me feel bad!

To everyone else- We are all amazing! You are all amazingly supportive, and encouraging and I want to badly to pay iall that support forward!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Keep up the good work! And thanks for sharing your wonderful journey with us here. :smile:
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, congrats! And we had pizza tonight for dinner! I did have mine with a big salad, though.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love this!
    So positive and so real.
    Well done for how far you have come :)
    You are so right that it has to be a lifestyle change and not a diet
    It is a slow process
    We didn't put weight on over night so are not going to lose it overnight,
    BUT if we consistently make better choices over time, we will get there!
    Good luck with your journey!
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!

A forum I contribute to daily had a thread suggesting a 'Biggest Loser' competition, and I decided to join in. Early in January, I gained about 20 lbs in a very short period of time due to a medical condition. Although frustrating, it did send me back to the doctor to start my medication again, which is a very good thing.

So I got on the scale Monday morning, and found myself at my highest-ever weight: 285. Soon after, I found this website and started logging meals & exercise.

Your story is inspiring, especially since we seem to have some similar views regarding food.

I look forward to hearing your progress!
  • BreezySunshine22
    Options
    Love this!