Weekends...

Options
I have some serious issues eating healthy on the weekends. Does anyone have some pointers, or tricks to help cut down on the junk food cravings?

Replies

• HardeesGal
    Options
    Not really. Lately i have been having the same problem though. I try to stay busy and drink lots to keepu feeling full. And if u crave just one thing eat a little if it and log it or u might eat more than u want to eat.
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Same here....I was staring at the pringles in the cupboard all day then decided to check out the label....I could have 15 pringles for 150 cals! I had them, slowly, one by one then drank a bottle of water! It cured the craving and the water filled me up ! You can still have those things just read the label and log honestly. :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Feel a craving? Drink water. I keep a 33 oz. bottle with me at all times.
  • jmounce1
    jmounce1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on the weekends. I grab an apple or an orange when I have cravings as well as lots of water. Good luck to you.:smile:
  • StephJB1221
    Options
    When it comes to eating- Treat the weekend the same as you do through the week! :)

*Eat every 2- 3 hours

*I focus on:
    40% carbs
    30% protein
    30% fat

*lots of water- add lemon, lime, cucumbers etc if you want flavor :)

*Eat a lot of: chicken, tuna, salmon, eggs, whole wheats, almonds and other nuts, cottage cheese, peanut butter/almond butter, fruits and veggies (fresh or frozen)--greek yogurt (add your own fruit)

*Avoid processed and frozen meals

*Stick to the same eating schedule on the weekends and if you are out and about-pack items to go to make sure you are on track and focused!

*Also for a lot of people a cheat day turns into a cheat week or even a cheat month!!-- if you’re going to do a "cheat" do a cheat meal rather than a cheat day and limit it to that one cheat a week :)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for me. I recently stocked up on lots of fruits. I'm trying my best to only "snack" on fruits instead of chips, cereal bars, candy, chocolate, etc. Just tonight, after dinner, I prepared a bowl of apple and orange slices (and water!!)...and I'm full and feeling satisfied! If you have a sweet tooth, try skinny cow products - I love their ice cream sandwiches!! Hits the spot. Just try changing your habits....don't buy the junk food...replace it with healthier choices and you will be less likely to snack on junk food! I hope that helps!
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I actually work on most weekends, but i do have 4 days a week off (which are sort of like weekends to me). If I know I've got a day off I'll try to spend one of my days off out doing something. May be trying out the walking/jogging path in a park I've never been to or running errands or stocking up the fridge. When at home I keep water close at hand and after a craving hits, I set a timer on my phone for 15 minutes and drink a cold bottle of water. If after my timer goes off, I still want what I'm craving, I take out a small portion of one serving and allow myself to indulge a tiny bit. I don't need a belly full of a craving food...just a bit of the taste to re-direct my brain.
  • ssb1662
    Options
    I allow myself one "fun food" on the weekend that I don't usually eat during the week, such as a bag of home popped popcorn. Not microwave so I cancontrol the salt and the fat. Then I keep lots of salad fixings around. Also, I add 5 - 10 min of exercise that is different from my routine. That and water helps.
  • quetzlcoatlus
    Options
    Try keeping busy. . . and out of the house. That way you're not around whatever is tempting you and your not thinking about eating. Also try to figure out what is triggering your craving. like, is it the time of day? Or what you're doing (your use to having chips while watching tv, for example.) Is it a means to something else (like you always have cake when chatting with your friends and you actually just what to chat with someone). Just write down what your craving, the time of day, what you where doing when the craving struck. When you figure out the trigger you can try to change what it triggers :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house! It really sounds like you are eating out of either habit or boredom. Either way, doing something completely different on the weekends can really help. Take a class, go to the library, check out a new park...anything really, just to shake yourself out of it. If your new activity is a walk in the park or other physical activity, you will make room for a few more indulgences, as well.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can't stress drinking water enough. Water curbs our appetite. If you skip a meal, you are more likely to binge especially late into the night. Known fact and personal experience!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    preparation is the key to succes.

ask yourself: why do i do WELL during the week? the reason most likely is that you bring healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks with you to work, and have healthy dinners prepared too.

so what is different on the weekends? shouldn't you have the same, if not better access to those same snacks?

are you running around, doing errands, and then getting hungry as you pass by that McDonalds or Baskin Robbins? Well, i'll be the first to say that you should be allowed to treat your self to an indulgance. but every thing in moderation.

pack some fruit and some almonds or something with you for days where you'll be running around. have good meals in the morning and and night planned.

while i know how good a big mac can taste, i'd rather save those calories for a good homemade burger that will taste even better.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!

On top of it being the weekend (YAY!) I go and stay with my parents for the weekend, which means different food available for me. while they cook healthy, there's some junk and baking stuff around which is so tempting... (I just don't buy it at my house)
    PLUS, my schedule on weekends is all out of wack because of work so I'm often tempted to just grab whatever and eat when I get home. ugh.

Everybody says to just 'drink more water!' but I already guzzle it down, drinking more doesn't do anything for me.

I try and grab an apple, or maybe a few chocolate chips. OH! or frozen bananas (peel, slice, and freeze) SO good. You can eat em as slices, or blend it up and it makes like ice cream.. but really it's only bananas. add some cinnamon and cocoa powder and it's delish.