question about free weights and weight machines!

Options
Ok, so first off, when i say fr weights i mean the bench and the barbell, weight machine, I'm talking about like the gold gym xr30.

I weigh 172 lbs, i would like to get a better body a much as the next person, but i can't go to Gym(got to to to much going on at home) so i have 38.6 percent bodyfat. (that's down from last month at 40.8 ) any way, i was looking into maybe buying a weight bench and some weights, would that help to do what i want it to do? I don't want to get as the hulk, and i know that women don't get huge without extra hormones and taking supplements, which i don't plan on doing. I'm pretty sure i can do the lifts like i need too, i just may need a refresher course. Oh, and i do the jillian Michaels dvds a of right know but I'm only 22 lbs away from my goal,and i thought that it would be time to "up the ante". Any and all comments are welcome, im just confused and i may make the purchase 2 mar, so the more replies (helpful) the better.

Please and thank you

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Assuming that I understand your question correctly: free weights are always a better investment, especially when buying for home use. Even looking at it from an economical standpoint, machines have moving parts that wear out, get lose, become unsafe, need to be replaced, etc. Free weights on the other hand, are always the same, so long as you take care of them...until you lift heavy enough to bend bars on a regular basis anyway. :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok cool.. I really nave knew the diffrence i thought weights were weights. Ok.. I found a started bench with 100 lbs bar and weights for 75.00, so I'm thinking i may purchase it.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy the weights. Then either google for Stronglifts 5x5 or get on Amazon and buy Starting Strength by Rippetoe.

And if you do, you'll probably need to get more weights than 100 pounds soon.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You have free weights, machines, and resistance bands. Resistance bands are cheaper, more portable, and ignore gravity. You can also look into a workout programs like Insanity or P90X.
  • collingmommy
    Options
    I've tried p90x.. Didn't care for it. Plus i want something that my hubs will do also, there is no chance that he will do a DVD..so far, I'm hearing free weights, that's what I'm going to possibly purchase 2 mar
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Definitely buy the weights. Then either google for Stronglifts 5x5 or get on Amazon and buy Starting Strength by Rippetoe.

And if you do, you'll probably need to get more weights than 100 pounds soon.

^this
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Free weights challenge us to use other muscles in assisting to use proper form at all times, where as machines 'help' you. I believe free weights make you stronger, but dont quote me on that, thats just my personal feeling.
    Go for it!!!
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I prefer free weights myself. But that is how I learned so it is what I'm used to. Less lineups and hassle at the gym for free weights - I can get through my routine much faster and with more focus.
    Check your form though - the mirrors not just for checking out your guns lol

No weights is good too - pushups, tricep pushups, lunges, repeat squats, crunchs etc for those days when there's no time to get to the gym.

A friend of mine uses those resistance bands all the time - that seems good too (I always worry about them breaking and getting whacked by them haha)
  • collingmommy
    Options
    Ok, so i got the bench and the weights, its got 100lb weights, know, i need to learn some skills.. Lol.. Any takers? Pm me, i need to dothis and i got questions.:)
  • lynnette26
    Options
    BodyBuilding.com- they have exercise plans and video's on how to do the lifts correctly.