Calories or Sodium?

Options
msciccone1
msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
Good morning,

I just wanted to know which is more important...watching calories or watching sodium content. I am always under my calorie goal but I find that my sodium is either at max or a little over. Its driving me crazy to check both items at all times with the million other things I have to do at work and then at home with kids!!! Please help.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you go for low sodium items, everything else is low too. Not as true for low cal stuff except fruits & veggies.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Generally, eating too many calories results in weight gain due to FAT gain.
    Eating too much sodium results in weight gain due to WATER retention.

So, in terms of weight loss, eating the appropriate amount of *calories* is by far the most important thing.
    But it's a good idea to keep your sodium in check because it is related to health issues like high blood pressure. I try to keep my sodium between 1000mg and 2000mg each day. Some days I go way over (like yesterday). When I go so far over I know I'll be retaining water (and, therefore, will weigh more) for the next few days. But I didn't gain any fat, it's just water retention. Try eating fewer processed foods and it will be easier to keep your sodium intake down.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are eating, but do your best to stay away from processed foods.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It gets hard to watch sodium levels, especially in fast and processed foods. I've been able to keep my at or below the recommended 2,500mg a day by making my own meals from scratch and limited sodium, but it can still be hard. I would watch your calories first, but always always keep sodium in mind. Excess sodium causes water retention which equals "weight gain" on the scale. Also, too much sodium isn't good for your kidneys.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I found this helpful too!

Thanks!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    you should always be drinking your water... but if you are taking in a lot of sodium, it is twice as important to get AT LEAST all your water in.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That is what I thought that I watch both and I do but its driving me crazy when you want to pick out something with low calories AND low sodium. No wonder this country has an epidemic at hand because most foods you pick out even at "healthy" places like subway, etc. have high sodium levels. I will try to cook my food more often now. Thanks everyone!!!
  • divachris2
    divachris2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think they are both important to watch! When I saw how much my sodium intake was, I cut down on diet soda and ice tea! I lost 2 pounds right away and my stomach aches went away.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    What the above poster said...if you cut out the processed foods, you'll do away with added sodium and lower your calorie intake by default!